Fuel polisher question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sndog

I am looking at building and installing a fuel polishing system for my boat. My main tank is around 2700 gallons and my other main tank is around 800 gallons. Both can fill, what is called my day tank, which is about 300 gallons. I am wondering if I need to use 1, or 2, racor 1000 filters for fuel polishing system.

Thank you

I am looking at building and installing a fuel polishing system for my boat. My main tank is around 2700 gallons and my other main tank is around 800 gallons. Both can fill, what is called my day tank, which is about 300 gallons. I am wondering if I need to use 1, or 2, racor 1000 filters for fuel polishing system.

Thank you
There's no perfect answer. I have two for redundancy, and also to allow polishing at 10 microns and transferring to the day tank thru a 2 micron which matches the filtration of the CAT OEM filter. The other issue is the pump motors. There's no point in having two 1000s if the pump only puts out 3gpm, which is the limit of the Racor. I have two pumps - 1/3 HP ac motors spinning 180 gph carbonator pumps, so can push 6 gpm if both are engaged. The final consideration is what plan B would be if a single pump craps out. In my case, getting fuel to the day tank without the pumps would be very tough, so redundant pumps makes sense for me.

There's no perfect answer. I have two for redundancy, and also to allow polishing at 10 microns and transferring to the day tank thru a 2 micron which matches the filtration of the CAT OEM filter. The other issue is the pump motors. There's no point in having two 1000s if the pump only puts out 3gpm, which is the limit of the Racor. I have two pumps - 1/3 HP ac motors spinning 180 gph carbonator pumps, so can push 6 gpm if both are engaged. The final consideration is what plan B would be if a single pump craps out. In my case, getting fuel to the day tank without the pumps would be very tough, so redundant pumps makes sense for me.
Thank you for input. The pump will be used for polishing only. There is another pump, same as the polisher used to transfer fuel between the tanks, and that has its own filter as well. Both pumps are fill-rite 15gpm.

My tankage is similar to yours. I tapped into my transfer manifold for the input to the polisher and added a return line to the top of each tank (5). I added a voltage regulator to the system shown to slow down the flow rate. I run through both filters-30 micron then 10 micron. I have long runs (up to 100 feet both ways) through 3/4 inch fuel line, so vacuum gauge is in the red but I have reference points. The only issue I had was blowing up procon pumps. I tried two different procon pumps but both failed. The below pump has worked perfectly for the past year. I used Marine Tex for most of the fittings and haven’t had a single leak. Good luck with your system. Picture below shows Procon pump which was replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_6304.png
    IMG_6304.png
    141 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3472.jpeg
    IMG_3472.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top Bottom