Gap Filler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mccresa

Vessel Name
Last Laugh
Vessel Make
DeFever 52 Offshore Cruiser
I’m seeking a clever method to seal around hose penetrations through large irregular floor openings that can be easily removable in the future. Particularly difficult are multiple hose/wire penetrations due to irregular shape. I’m wondering if there is a product available that I just haven’t found. Spray expanding foam is great for sealing, but not so easily removed. The method of stuffing a wet rag/towel has always been my approach, it stuffs-in nice and when dries typically holds well…..sealing properties are no so great nor the aesthetics. I’m seeking an alternative to the “wet rag”.

Around smaller gaps, if even needed, I use fire barrier clay, works great and comes out without mess or difficulty.

This photo shows the challenge:

Attachments

• CE31AF68-84F8-4371-B22F-BDCFB4CBEF0A.jpg
    CE31AF68-84F8-4371-B22F-BDCFB4CBEF0A.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Try electrical duct seal. You can find 1# bricks of it at HD and Lowes for about $2.

Yes, I use putty/clay/duct seal for smaller gaps and agree it’s perfect for smaller openings.

I’m seeking something for a larger opening with multiple penetrations. As seen in the photo.

I use a medium density sound deadening foam cut into long narrow strips and wrap it around the hose and push it into the gap at the same time. Pull on the tail to remove.

The foam is engine room sound insulation that I have scraps of. I separate the foam from the lead barrier and foil.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom