Gas or electric dinghy outboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's because someone(s) are subsidizing their driving. Model S runs at 0.3kWh/mile. So 9000 kW of power for 3k miles. Assuming near perfect efficiency and $0.10/kWh residential power supply, that's $900. At the rate Tesla charges at a super charger ($0.25/kWh) it's $2,250. So they are either getting free charging from Tesla, their work, public chargers, or store chargers.

Toyota Camry uses 0.02 to 0.03 gallons/mile depending on the model or 180 - 270 gallons for the 30k. or $540-$800 for fuel for the time at $3 a gallon over the last 2 years. Maintenance is included for 2 years and 25k miles, so likely maintenance is free minus maybe one oil change.

The case for the Tesla and the E-motor is that whenever I leave the house or boat, I leave with a full charge. Not any time in gas stations/fuel docks. And its one less thing to worry about spilling. It was fun to pull up to a fuel dock and draw 2000 gallons of diesel and 3 of gasoline for the dinghy. It was less fun to have to keep pulling into fuel docks for 3 gallons of gasoline with no need for diesel (though that bill was easier to swallow). Charging via a rooftop full of solar or the generator/alternators when it's cruddy outside seems like a better alternative.

Check your math. 30K miles would need somewhere in the neighborhood of 900 gallons of gas.

I have a Whaly 270 dinghy with a Torqeedo 1103 CS and a spare battery. It’s quite satisfying. With a good range. I had an Arimar 320 with a 20 HP Mercury. Nothing but trouble and it had nothing to do with the fuel. The Torqeedo has the advantage that it is in three parts. The battery can be taking apart to charge. And the Whaly is nearly indestructable.
View attachment 118936View attachment 118937

Last edited:
Mr. Blu,
I am curious to know what you consider to be the nominal range of your Torqeedo configuration assuming one battery is used?

If you are considering electric, I recommend looking at ePropulsion. Superior to and cheaper than Torqueedo in my opinion. Also more attractive looking.

Last edited:
Mr. Blu,
I am curious to know what you consider to be the nominal range of your Torqeedo configuration assuming one battery is used?

Of course this depends on the wind, the current, the waves etcetera, but with one battery load and a speed of 5 kilometers (GPS speed) the display tells me that I have four hours left.

I got an ePropulsion Spirit for our dinghy a couple of months ago. It's really great if your use case matches. $2k, and it's soooo quiet. Like sailing quiet - you mostly hear the water against the hull.

Haven't tested range yet, but looks like a couple of hours. I charge onboard with solar 12V. Big advantage is that my wife and kids always struggled with pull starting the outboard. Also nice to have so little weight back there (especially with the battery removed) when the dinghy is on our transom underway.

Love not having gasoline aboard.

Heading off to the Channel Islands for two months in a week or so - will give a full report when we get back.

I agree about eProp. Have had one since last year. Range is more than a couple hours but is dependent on speed. If you always run at WOT (which is not real fast btw), a couple hours best case, but slow down some and the runtime goes up dramatically. Big plusses for me is the light weight of the 2 pieces. I can hand them to/from my wife from the dinghy with no problem. Also like that she can go off solo and I don't have to worry about whether she will be able to start the engine to get back.

"and it's soooo quiet. Like sailing quiet -"

Many folks with sailing backgrounds eventually age into the "Dark Side".

We use a Grumman Aluminum dink, , light enough to pull on board , easy for 1 or 2 to row, and sails great , so distance is never a hassle.

Its probably 40 or 50 years old , but if you look really hard , there out there.

No gas, no dead batts, , just CO2 from breathing.

I had the occasion to use our Torqeedo with our Avon 310 RIB a few times this season, as the 15hp Yamaha that powers it is out for servicing (fixing the hinge release).

The 1103 motor pushes it along effectively, at about 3.5kts. Which is on-par with how it used to push an all-inflatable dinghy. But the Avon is considerably heavier than the Zodiac, at that's reflected in battery life. I'd get at least a 6-10 back/forth trips to shore with the Zodiac. But just 4 back/forth with the RIB put a serious dent in battery capacity. This isn't unexpected, as gas consumption would probably be similarly affected. Upside was even with sitting since the start of LAST season, the battery still showed nearly full capacity.

Nothing against rowing but your range is more limited. I know, you can row across an ocean if you have enough time. My point is if I had to row a mile or 2 to get somewhere, I'd be more hesitant to go. The electric option is a lot easier and haven't had a dead battery. Any of the new engines have a pretty good system to monitor battery life underway. Oars are still an option if the motor should die.

This thread was started a year ago. Hasn't the guy made a purchase by now?

Just returned from 10 days in the San Juans. I decided to take my electric trolling motor instead of working on my practically new Suzuki 2.5hp. It never has run reliably. I got so frustrated that I bought an entire new carburator. Nope, it would still stall after a few minutes or when put in gear.

My $150 electric starts everytime. I already had a Group 27 starting battery, so that's what I used. It is good for at least 4 hours of motoring, but it weighs about 70# and was the only difficult part of our electric motor adventures. So I'm looking at what's available in lithium. Turns out that a 100Ah lithium, with a simple charger, is about $450. Probably about what I can get for the Suzuki. I think I'll go electric.

The trolling motor is so light that pulling it up onto Weaver-style davits when on the dinghy transom isn't an issue. A lithium battery is only 24# and doesn't have to remain upright so it can be left in the dinghy. All I'd have to do is hook on the lift line and pull it up. No gas spills.

The gas/electric question is dependant on how one uses their dinghy. We don't use it to salvage other vessels, ferry working crews, or load with groceries from distant harbors. Only exploring. For that, electric is the best. We've had a few times when out exploring and somebody comes around the point in a dingy with a gas motor. The family of otters leave, basking seals drop into the water, herons fly off. I'm sure the other boat is also exploring, they're just not seeing as much. But no doubt they can go further faster.

Reactions: FWT
I like the power, economy and speed of gas outboards. One can easily estimate how far/long one can go w fuel supply. Most Gas OB’s are nice and quiet at 1/2 power and less. They are so light w small slow boats they’re near perfect.
Don’t like storing gas onboard tho.

I mostly use gas on trailer boats.

Most people I know that embrace electric are doing it partially for the desirable image and the act of setting an example. I once pointed out to a friend (w a Prius) that it wasn’t even close to cost effective. He replied “well Eric someone’s got to lead the way”.
Now I think only 10% of carbon emissions is from transportation and cars are only a very small part of that. So gas for your dinghy is such fly### there’s really no argument.
Just choose what you like.

Most people I know that embrace electric are doing it partially for the desirable image and the act of setting an example.

I can't speak at all for "most people", just me.

I couldn't care less about setting examples, and absolutely not the "green" image.

I plan to get one because I won't have to ever worry about my wife being on the beach and unable to start it. Not having to store gas is another plus. But its the simplicity of it that holds the most appeal.

If I wanted to plane in a rib, the equation would shift of course. But I don't.

I think every dink should have one gas OB and one electric motor. It's the best of both worlds...but then again, I prefer twins anyway.

What's the best dink anchor?

Depends entirely on usage. Unfortunately nothing matches hydrocarbons for portable energy density. Nothing matches them for negative environmental impact either.

Our common usage is to anchor, launch the dinghy and explore. This may involve hours of run time. We often carry provisions, multiple people or heavy liquids from shore to anchorages at a distance from harbors or dinghy docks. We often have significant surf (leaving beaches), currents (rivers/cuts etc.) where hp is required. Commonly distances involved scream to be on plane for the run.
Hence like the vast majority of cruisers a 10-12’ RIB with a 15-20 hp gas engine has been our choice. Used to swear by 2 strokes. More tolerant of poor fuel, easier to clean carbs or repair, lighter and simpler. But after having a bulletproof Suzuki fuel injected 4 stroke which sipped gas, made electricity, and always started think here’s a small spot where EPA restrictions have improved life.
At present a fuel injected 4 stroke with good after market pre filters is a good choice for many. Wish it wasn’t true but battery technology isn’t there yet. And neither panels on Biminis nor charging stations make up the gap. The problem is carrying significant weight long distances or wanting to be on plane to shorten transit times.

Last edited:
I agree with everything FWT stated in his most recent post. When I started this thread, I had already made the decision to go electric. It's not the right choice for everyone and not comparable to a RIB with a 15HP gas motor. I only wanted everyone to be aware of the new electric outboards (not at all like an electric trolling motor) as a better choice than the very small gas motors under 4 HP. Environmental considerations or setting an example had zero influence in my decision.

Last edited:
Reactions: FWT
Most people I know that embrace electric are doing it partially for the desirable image and the act of setting an example.

I would be an exception to that. I don't give a rat's ass about a "desirable image", I bought an electric outboard because my gasoline outboard has proven unreliable and I don't like the thought of being left on shore staring at the mothership in the distance.

Still like my electric after 3 years. Reliable and nearly silent, goes as fast as I need to (dinghy hull speed) and much farther than I need to (about 8 miles). Charging it has never been a problem or even much of a consideration. Depends on what you want to do with it, of course. Used nearly everyday when we are on the boat, trips around the anchorage, to the beach or dock.

I would be an exception to that. I don't give a rat's ass about a "desirable image", I bought an electric outboard because my gasoline outboard has proven unreliable and I don't like the thought of being left on shore staring at the mothership in the distance.

Same with me, especially if the wife wants to go to the beach solo for a walk, I know she won't have to struggle starting the engine.

Gas isn't the problem it's managing it.

Motors aren't the problem, buy the one with the best reputation.

Electric isn't the answer if you want great speed and range.

Propane isn't the answer if it is difficult to use easily.

All different kinds of outboards in all different sizes are available.

My 2011 gas, 10% ethanol, 8hp 4 stroke Yamaha has only failed to start 2X on the second pull in 10 years. Because I failed to run the gas out of the carb. A needle and about 30 minutes has got it working as good as ever.

So yes, they all have issues and pros and cons. But the one you want and need for your style dinghy use and learn it's weak points. It's more about you than the choice.

I liked Flywrights answer...one of each for the preferred situation.

Last edited:
Agreed, there is no right answer for all situations. Electrics are as fast as gas motors of the same power. It's not fair to compare a 3 HP electric to a 15 HP gas. But electrics will take over whether you like it or not. I just replaced a 2-cycle hedge trimmer with an electric and couldn't be happier. It's lighter and stronger at the same time. No gas to deal with, push button operation. When's the last time you plugged in a small hand drill? It will take time, but no doubt electric is the future. Heck, in 10 years you may not even be able to buy a new gas powered car.

Last edited:
The future is not now, and not even close in price if one wants speed....

When my very good judgement in what I need/ want as a boater can get/afford new tech... I will make the switch if still boating.

Last edited:
This thread was started a year ago. Hasn't the guy made a purchase by now?
Seems like there ought to be an end date on threads.

Seems like there ought to be an end date on threads.

Why? Seems like some are still interested in talking abou this. You are free to disengage at any time.

The future is not now, and not even close in price if one wants speed....

When my very good judgement in what I need/ want as a boater can get/afford new tech... I will make the switch if still boating.

Again, if you do a fair comparision, i.e. same power of gas and electric, they are comparable in cost for very small outboards. In fact, you can make a case that electric is cheaper over time even if more expensive to purchase. I agree that if you need a 15 HP outboard, the price of an electric version is not competitive at this time.

Threads die on their own when poeple have said all they want to say and stop reponding.

Back
Top Bottom