GB 36 rudder authority

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caballero II

Vessel Name
Caballero II
Vessel Make
Grand Banks Classic 36
I have a single screw GB 36, with a Lehman 120 hp. I'm happy with it and do the best I can with the tools at hand, which are what I can do with propeller "walk" and "back and fill" when maneuvering in tight spaces. But, is there a well accepted rudder modification which allows more rudder authority at low speeds while docking, and/or allowing some reverse control? It doesn't matter where I put the rudder in reverse, the boat backs to starboard. "Back and fill" is about all I've got to pivot the boat. I'm looking for a tried and true rudder modification that would improve low speed maneuvering.

The rudders on my twins GB36 were small and only have affect at speeds higher than docking.
Many DIY mods seen over the years, however I do not know of any rudder mods to make a signifcant difference at slow movement. Thrusters?

I have a single screw GB 36, with a Lehman 120 hp. I'm happy with it and do the best I can with the tools at hand, which are what I can do with propeller "walk" and "back and fill" when maneuvering in tight spaces. But, is there a well accepted rudder modification which allows more rudder authority at low speeds while docking, and/or allowing some reverse control? It doesn't matter where I put the rudder in reverse, the boat backs to starboard. "Back and fill" is about all I've got to pivot the boat. I'm looking for a tried and true rudder modification that would improve low speed maneuvering.
On my smaller 50’ single screw commercial fishing vessel I made the rudder as large as possible. I also welded a tapered plate both sides on the aft part of the rudder, top to bottom. Not sure of angle, enough so flow would hit it and add more force. I will try to add a pic.

Attachments

• IMG_4486.jpeg
    IMG_4486.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 12
The biggest thing that will add more rudder authority in reverse is a bigger rudder (most likely requiring beefed up mounting). Chances are, the current rudder will steer some in reverse, but only at higher speeds than you'd want while docking.

To get more than a small improvement there you'd probably be getting up towards a sailboat sized rudder. And the amount of keel a GB36 has will also limit how tightly it'll want to turn with the limited turning force available in reverse (even with a big rudder).

Different boats will just have different backing characteristics. I have a good friend who says that no matter where the rudder is pointed his boat backs straight. He wishes it backed to one side or the other so he could count on that for docking.
Be careful what you wish for.

I have a GB36 single. We have a bow thruster and it makes a tremendous difference. Can't imagine how nice a stern thruster would be.

An articulating rudder would help a lot.

Boat does prop walk but your really need perfect conditions.

Back
Top Bottom