GB 42'....the 'almost' perfect boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Prairie Salt

Veteran Member
Armchair shopper here as plan for retirement.

Love the Grand Banks!

I am a contractor with 30+ years of working with wood and materials. We live in a gentrified 1927 Craftsman Style home. Appreciate the wood work of the GB's and upkeep is not something I'd find a complete chore as I still really enjoy that type of work.

I get the phrase of "everything is a compromise" when it comes to boats.

However....

- Are there examples / ideas of putting a larger fridge/freezer on board? We like to stock up.

- Washer / dryer?

- Accessing the water is important to us. (Swimming/paddle boarding) How are those two little stairs on the stern to the swim platform for folks getting older?

- By the pics the saloon seems like it could feel tight after a few months?

Having had GBs for 25 years I suggest you look at a 46’ GB. I think you will find the price difference rather small.

Having had GBs for 25 years I suggest you look at a 46’ GB. I think you will find the price difference rather small.

I have and they are a no brainer stunning, plus layout. I see a a lot of potential 42' in the sub 150K range, not so with the 46's. I'd like to keep price under 200K Canadian.

PS, I have a C&L44, that I bought many years ago after looking seriously at GB42s and others. By now, any Taiwanese trawler that has survived this long has had all the usual failures corrected and will last as long as any GB, so should be worth a look.

GBs have wonderfully wide side decks, but at the cost of a very narrow house. Mine is a full 2' wider inside and the galley down frees up lots more saloon space.

I know a GB42 with added fridge space, but the settee aft of the port side door was sacrificed to get it.

As for those little steps to the Swim Grid, GB42s that still have an original SG are deficient. My own was deficient in the SG dept until I rebuilt the SG by adding 13" to the inside edge of an original 22" wide unit, already bigger than the ones on GB 42s. At the same time, my steps started out the same as the GB, but I relocated the lower one to give me better access, a simple job, done in an hour. They are now completely satisfactory for access to the SG.

IMO the biggest problem with GBs is the interior seating. It is like sitting in a church pew. If you are serious about one don’t just sit in it for a few minutes, sit for a long time like you will when you are spending a week or two on it. Both of our backs don’t tolerate that type of seating. And the small refers.

PS, I have a C&L44, that I bought many years ago after looking seriously at GB42s and others. By now, any Taiwanese trawler that has survived this long has had all the usual failures corrected and will last as long as any GB, so should be worth a look.

GBs have wonderfully wide side decks, but at the cost of a very narrow house. Mine is a full 2' wider inside and the galley down frees up lots more saloon space.

I know a GB42 with added fridge space, but the settee aft of the port side door was sacrificed to get it.

As for those little steps to the Swim Grid, GB42s that still have an original SG are deficient. My own was deficient in the SG dept until I rebuilt the SG by adding 13" to the inside edge of an original 22" wide unit, already bigger than the ones on GB 42s. At the same time, my steps started out the same as the GB, but I relocated the lower one to give me better access, a simple job, done in an hour. They are now completely satisfactory for access to the SG.

Thanks, this is the crazy part of looking at boats. (online)

There are many options out there.

I'll check it out.

IMO the biggest problem with GBs is the interior seating. It is like sitting in a church pew. If you are serious about one don’t just sit in it for a few minutes, sit for a long time like you will when you are spending a week or two on it. Both of our backs don’t tolerate that type of seating. And the small refers.

Agreed....that's why I am clear that this is 'online' searching.

Fully prepared to have an online love affair, take a flight or drive, then feel nothing, tell her "it not her, its me", and walk away.

Really? I love my seating. Not sure what you would do with that interior for larger seating. We are not small people, so please don't panic and go check them out yourselves. Not a problem for us.

Small reefers, yes. But easy to replace, as we did with Vitrifrigo Sea Drawers.

Really? I love my seating. Not sure what you would do with that interior for larger seating. We are not small people, so please don't panic and go check them out yourselves. Not a problem for us.

Small reefers, yes. But easy to replace, as we did with Vitrifrigo Sea Drawers.
One of the absolute requitements for purchasing our DeFever 44 was no built-in seating. No way a bench seat is as comfortable as "real" furniture. Yes, you make do with what you have because, well, you have to. Question: who would argue that long distance travel in a vehicle equipped with a front bench seat is as comfortable as a vehicle with bucket seats? Does any manufacturer even make a vehicle with a true bench seat? Compare built-ins to a double, reclining loveseat and a real l-shaped sectional. Our sectional is also a fold-out bed.

By the way, a prior owner ripped out the original built-ins on our boat. LoveSeat%20(1).jpgSectional.jpg

It is like sitting in a church pew. If you are serious about one don’t just sit in it for a few minutes, sit for a long time like you will when you are spending a week or two on it. Both of our backs don’t tolerate that type of seating.

I agree, anyone who sits in our salon for more than a few minutes its always looking for blankets or pillows or both to stuff in behind/under/around to try and get comfortable. This is the first item on my refit list, but don't know how to make it better without losing the storage under the settees.

Yes, wood boats are beautiful and often high maintenance. Even if you enjoy woodwork there is an issue you need to consider. When people say they like doing woodwork and wood repair I generally think they are like me. My hobby is woodwork, cabinet and furniture making, refinishing,designing, etc. There is plenty of all of it to do on my fiberglass Albin. Does that mean I would enjoy, or even tackle rotten planks or ribs or structurally unsound decks? How about a wooden transom which is just plain rotten? Probably not anything I want to get into. I like woodworking projects that I can either take home and work on in my shop or a project I can do while at anchor or otherwise enjoying my boat. I really don't like projects which require drydock or which will take all summer to accomplish.

Those huge projects are what give wooden boats a bad name.

Time for a story. When I bought my first big boat, a 32 foot wooden Chris Craft "Connie", wood was all I could afford. They were plentiful and pretty cheap in 1980.
I always said " I can't wait until I can afford aa fiberglass or aluminum boat! No More Maintenance!" Guess what? There is just as much maintenance on a fiberglass boat as on my old Connie. Except for the hull, probably just as much brightwork to take care of.

pete

Hi Prarie Salt. You might consider chartering one. Southwest florida yacht charters has a couple of Grand Banks for charter. Florida in December is nice. Paul

GB + DeFevers

Also look at the early DeFevers - still many early offshore cruisers afloat, including beautiful woodies and cherished Lindwalls. They're roomier, well-designed, sea-worthy, and built for longevity.

Prairie Salt…….

Until about 3 weeks ago I was in your very same situation, I purchased a 1984 GB 42 and absolutely love it. I fell in love with the GB’s in the 80’s and finally got one.
And I wanted one for all the reasons you mentioned, I too do a lot of woodworking and love old wooden houses and boats.
But if it’s the wood that has lured you to the GB then you could possibly be content with a Marine Trader, a Monk, or any other variety of the Asian born vessels.
I grew up in a small shrimping community where everyone either shrimped, or worked on some type of commercial boat, so it was the GB 42 that had the closest feel and look to an authentic trawler, with the high bow, wide walk around decks, and quaint wheelhouse.
I’m almost made the mistake of buying a GB 36, jeez the size difference is amazing with just 6 more feet, but 6 feet in every dimension possible.
And last but not least is the stability and steadfast seaworthiness that the GB’s are known for, you can put a price on that too, and that is a price I was most willing to pay.

Disclaimer: All the information referenced in this message is an opinion based on my personal preferences and should not be misconstrued as fact. My opinion, which I am free to express in this forum

My GB 42 does have a stand up refrigerator and a Splendide combo washer/dryer, trash compactor, so yes you can tailor it to suit the needs of you and your family. Hope this helps in your search.

Hi Xxlcajun… that sounds interesting and was wondering if you can post some pictures of these features. It is always interesting to see these custom elements. Ours is #946..a 1986 model with a fairly standard layout.

Last edited:
One of the absolute requitements for purchasing our DeFever 44 was no built-in seating. No way a bench seat is as comfortable as "real" furniture. Yes, you make do with what you have because, well, you have to. Question: who would argue that long distance travel in a vehicle equipped with a front bench seat is as comfortable as a vehicle with bucket seats? Does any manufacturer even make a vehicle with a true bench seat? Compare built-ins to a double, reclining loveseat and a real l-shaped sectional. Our sectional is also a fold-out bed.

By the way, a prior owner ripped out the original built-ins on our boat.View attachment 133373View attachment 133374

I just can't help interjecting a resounding NO! You don't travel sitting in the built in furniture, you travel at the helm (flybridge or below) and live in the furniture when you get there. And the GB furniture is very good for dining, socializing and having a cup of coffee.

The problem with lesser boats with no built-in furniture is that you have then to provide your own. Imagine house furniture sliding around in a seaway. No Way am I signing on for that. And BTW, your furniture doesn't look very attractive. Really? Is that "Plush Velvet"? Horrible!

The problem with lesser boats with no built-in furniture is that you have then to provide your own. Imagine house furniture sliding around in a seaway. No Way am I signing on for that.

Agreed, any furniture that's not built in has to be carefully selected based on what can be held in place safely. Big pieces of furniture sliding or flying around can do a lot of damage in rough seas and can get someone seriously injured.

Whenever anyone asks me what the perfect size boat is I tell them 36 feet (like mine).

In my heart I lust after a 42 foot G.B. (Don't tell the Admiral)

pete

I won't rip into cabalerro II about his comments above because I am not a moderator but..Come on buddy, we are all friends here, your comments are uncalled for.

pete

This far into this thread I am sure the OP can see that most responses are from those of us with boats that we have had for a long time, and that we have no plans (except for lottery winnings) to change.
The fixed v loose furniture is, IMHO related mostly to the amount of available space, as fixed furniture can take up significantly less space.
I my own boat, we have a combination: fixed settee around the dining table and a pair of reclining chairs opposite. In a seaway, those chairs can be bungee's to the wall, so don't get in the way. A more serious safety issue was presented by the rolling cabinet under the helm seat, that acted as a signal to alter course by 15° to reduce rolling until I fixed it in place.

In the OP's ideal GB 42, there is insufficient cabin width to allow loose reclining chairs opposite the dining table, so that choice doesn't exist. Even less cabin width is available on Tim's (Cabalero) 36 where there is no plush velvet.

I won't rip into cabalerro II about his comments above because I am not a moderator but..Come on buddy, we are all friends here, your comments are uncalled for.

pete

Pete, fair enough. Sincerely sorry, I should have resisted. Tim

When you say you like wood work I hope you are not considering a wood hull. I have a 1982 Ocean Alexander 43 Tri Cabin that meets all your needs, Beautiful teak interior, teak deck, separate W/D locker, galley down, twin screws, large aft cabin with in suite head, fly bridge, steps, but no ladders. I looked from Vancouver Canada to San Diego, When I sat in the salon and looked at the space from stem to stern I knew this boat was right for me. That was twenty years ago. I have cruised from San Diego to Alaska and to Mexico twice. Great layout, Not too big to single hand for a day, nice fwd cabin and separate head for guests, big salon. Very well built. Google MVDarlin if you want to see more. With good care a fiberglass boat can last indefinitely.

Prairie Salt, you are talking about getting older as a concern. Having gone thru this especially with an admiral having MS, some of the physical things we can do when younger get much harder as we age. If you are up there in the retirement bracket, you will find egress to/from the boat becomes a priority. Stairs become killers. We switched to get swim step access thru transom door, staircase instead of stairs to flybridge, and walkaround bed so you're not in the bed while making it (keep the admiral happy). These are not normal items I would have looked at to make/break a deal in the past, but anything to make it easier to move about is now becoming a priority especially with the knowledge that we are not getting younger. Having aging mothers/mother-in-laws living with us, we found the 3 steps down to a sunken livingroom might as well been Mt Everest to them. Just some points to ponder if you are in that "aging" bracket. And yes, a big frig was mandatory.

1971 Grand Banks 42.

Washer and drier single unit in the aft guest room.

The rear stairs suck even for a fit 50 year old. I actually use the mast boom to lower the paddle boards and then walk down.

We have a larger norcross fridge just aft of the helm station. Hindsight we should have kept the original location for a deep freeze. Instead it houses a microwave and large drawer for pots.

We have plenty of room for two plus dogs in the galley and when the kids are there we like the fact they’re at the table in the same room.

We hang a hammock on the boom for an extra summer sleeping spot.

We have been known to pitch a tent on the bridge.

Yes, wood boats are beautiful and often high maintenance. Even if you enjoy woodwork there is an issue you need to consider. When people say they like doing woodwork and wood repair I generally think they are like me. My hobby is woodwork, cabinet and furniture making, refinishing,designing, etc. There is plenty of all of it to do on my fiberglass Albin. Does that mean I would enjoy, or even tackle rotten planks or ribs or structurally unsound decks? How about a wooden transom which is just plain rotten? Probably not anything I want to get into. I like woodworking projects that I can either take home and work on in my shop or a project I can do while at anchor or otherwise enjoying my boat. I really don't like projects which require drydock or which will take all summer to accomplish.

Those huge projects are what give wooden boats a bad name.

Time for a story. When I bought my first big boat, a 32 foot wooden Chris Craft "Connie", wood was all I could afford. They were plentiful and pretty cheap in 1980.
I always said " I can't wait until I can afford aa fiberglass or aluminum boat! No More Maintenance!" Guess what? There is just as much maintenance on a fiberglass boat as on my old Connie. Except for the hull, probably just as much brightwork to take care of.

pete
I had a 32 Connie, another wood hull that will outlast the house. Loved that boat too.
Now my current boat has less wood but I am already not looking forward to wax on/wax off as it needs a cut polish and wax job. Different job, but still work that needs to be done.

Our solution to improve the ergonomics of the built-in seating was simple. Make the block-shaped cushions ergonomically correct. Instead of a straight block of foam for the back rest, have the foam cut so that the back slants. It doesn’t take much to make a huge improvement. I’m sure the OE is a straight block because it is easier to upholster, but DIY isn’t difficult for a contoured block and even a commercial upholsterer isn’t likely to charge you more than a few dollars extra. Plus, the commercial upholsterer likely has the foam cutting equipment to simply shave the original foam. If you are handy, you can even modify the original cover yourself. No need to buy any additional material.

I’m sure one could find the standard angle for seating, either through Google or a publication like Architectural Graphic Standards.

I also bought some foam wedges (usually sold by medical supply houses for $20) for sitting up and reading in bed. They fit in a pillow case. Much simpler than hauling aboard and bolting down a Sleep Number 120V adjustable bed.

With the standard bench seats I have found the seat part too narrow due top the back piece made of the same 4 inch foam. So on a previous boat I had it made from 1 inch foam adding 3 inches to seating. No one noticed the missing 3 inch as it is not a recliner, but they noticed a more comfortable seat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom