GB 47 Europa question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kernr

Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Europa
Good Morning -

I am having trouble understanding the layout under the anchor windlass of our 2008 GB 47 EUROPA. Basically the drain in the platform just aft of the windlass goes to a hose that dumps sometimes muddy water onto the platform about a foot lower. Since there are windlass electrical wires on the platform this is not ideal. There is a hole in forward corner of this platform that sometimes gets blocked with mud creating a muddy puddle on the platform. Do other GB 47’s have the same design or was ours modified along the way? See photos of drain, hole into hose to bottom of anchor locker, and view from stud side of platform. I think it best to extend hose from upper drain directly to fwd corner hole into hose into anchor locker. Thanks for any photos of GB 47 windlass and platform under windlass.

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_1348.jpeg
    IMG_1348.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1350.jpeg
    IMG_1350.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1349.jpeg
    IMG_1349.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 28
My Eastbay 47 is set up differently. I have found using some Dri-Dek grate tiles on the floor of the locker helps to prevent the chain links blocking the holes, and keep debris from clogging the drain holes as quickly. They let me shoot the hose into the locker, toward where I know the holes are located and clear them. Don't know if it's the chain links adding to your problem or not.

It looks like the surface finish (gelcoat/paint) in your locker has started to separate. It'd probably be a good idea to address that to avoid having water get into the surfaces below it. Especially if there's any potential for freezing temps (ice expands and further wrecks the material). My port bow locker needs it done too.

Re-routing the hose seems like a good idea, would the chain interfere with it though?

Wkearney -
Here are a couple more photos. The first one shows existing hose from platform 1’ below windlass to bottom of anchor locker. The second one shows hole in platform to hose in previous photo. And third photo shows hose from drain aft of windlass emptying on to platform. I agree the platform is a mess after I took mud off - one of several fall/spring projects.

So, my thought is to remove hose from drain and replace with a longer hose direct to hole in platform with the already existing hose under it to bottom of anchor locker.

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_1323.jpeg
    IMG_1323.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1356.jpeg
    IMG_1356.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1353.jpeg
    IMG_1353.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 22
All -
So, I am not sure what someone was thinking to allow mud and water to flow from the windlass platform to the level below with both windlass wires and shore power wires on its surface but it was a mess to clean up. Washed and scraped and sanded in a very hard to get at location - my arms took a beating. But we got the area of the platform / deck below windlass cleaned up and painted. Also put a new drain hose in from windlass platform drain through lower platform so no water should get to deck with wires - it goes into anchor locker. See photos.
Bob

Attachments

• IMG_1373.jpeg
    IMG_1373.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1374.jpeg
    IMG_1374.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1375.jpeg
    IMG_1375.jpeg
    101.1 KB · Views: 10
Back