GEICO update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My thoughts as a geico customer is that my independent insurance broker is my advocate to find the best policy at a reasonable cost. He is also my advocate to customize coverage to fit my needs. If i have a claim I expect he will advocate for me as well.

I am not a price shopper, I am a coverage shopper and am willing to pay the price for the coverage I want.

Based on that thought I have been a customer of Pete for almost two decades, and I trust him to find the best coverage for my boat.

I would never dream of loosing my advocate by purchasing my insurance directly and look forward to continuing my long relationship with my independent agent.

Geico just lost my claim free business because they decided to cut out the only person looking out for my interests... My independent agent.

I can't speak about independent agents, we use USAA for home & car which we deal directly with the company as we do with BoatUS.

While it would seem an independent agent could shop with other carriers to meet your needs, what would someone do if that company drops you, presuming communications flow from the insurance company to the policyholder? I would think that ultimately, the independent agent does owe some fiduciary responsibility to the insurance company that you are bound to, maybe not.

Interestingly, what would 1 do if the independent agent binds you to an insurance company which requires you to negotiate your claim payment? Is the agent's company going to make up the difference? Also, how can an independent agent get a better price from an insurance company than what the same company can offer an individual? Doesn't the insurance company pay the individual agent?

I wouldn't trade USAA for any other company due to the 'personal' attention I have gotten from them in 2 home claims and 2 auto claims (none my fault). They have been fantastic.

So far I am happy with BoatUS insurance and anticipate staying with them. As I said, I can call BoatUS and make any changes that I deem necessary and they have always been very responsive. I am currently scheduled for a survey to raise my coverage amount.

In closing, the way the world is going, smaller insurance companies may be dropping from a number of markets leaving only the larger, read GEICO, companies to handle certain insurance needs.

Good luck with all this insurance turmoil.

The topic has turned a bit toward the generic question of going direct as a customer, vs using an agent.

One has to throw in the issue of skills. Yours, and your agent's.

Personally, be it boats, homes or anything else I'll take a skilled agent over going direct. Anytime. Its an easy call. No contest.

You CAN represent yourself in court, but wouldn't you want a skilled lawyer? A good one? You CAN do your own taxes, and that's probably best with simple W2 income on the return, but with anything remotely complex wouldn't you want a skilled CPA? And so forth.

The best you can find.

On the other hand, hiring the unskilled is no advantage.

The important time insurance is tested is when there is a claim, much more than finding coverage. With insurance you pay out on the promise that if there is a claim, money comes back your way. Some insurers do not like to pay and when that happens you need all the skills on your side that you can muster. The good agent can steer you away from poor insurers up front, and then help on the back end if it comes to that.

Cheap insurance that won't pay, is actually expensive insurance.

Not all agents are good, just as not all lawyers and CPA's are good. I chatted up an agent in a booth at a boat show recently. He was new to insurance, but knew boats. He might become a good agent, one day, but not yet. Going direct might be better than him. Better than direct is the good agent.

Heck, go direct on the simple 20 ft ski boat. But trawlers are a different topic. Many more complex systems, and range of uses.

Finding the skilled professional isn't easy. In this case we know where to find one.

My two cents.

Another change of note that was announced recently was the elimination of GEICO's Charter Program (policy code CBT) and Super Yacht program (policy code SSY)

Does this leave Geico offering any form of boat insurance? And if so, what types? Or are they getting out of Marine insurance entirely? I'm just trying to understand what's still available to anyone dealing with the directly.

Thanks Peter!
You have been my go to guy now for quite a few years, and I can rely on you consistently. You just saved me a big chunk of boat dollars again. You also found the only reputable company that would cover us while cruising the South America area. Now were working our way up to So. Carolina to park Pairadice for the summer and you came through again.
So next time we come up to the PNW, I owe you a few cold ones! Cheers buddy!

I got notice yesterday that from the 1st of June and the start of hurricane season here in Florida, I am no longer covered because when the went to take my renewal deposit, I had anew credit card. Despite updating the card info, they would not renew my policy

So desperately hunting for new insurance

PM me - let's chat.

I've restrained myself from sharing the horrible customer service experience that I got from Geico last year, primarily because Peter went to the mat personally for me and escalated my situation within Geico. Now that you'll be parting ways with them, Peter I hope you don't mind that I say "good riddance". I do understand that it was during Covid and I've been more that willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. But they drove me away as a customer more relentlessly than any business I've ever seen.

Kudos to you for helping me through that, and then to transition to superior coverage for even less. Thank you so much for your great customer focus!
BD

My thoughts as a geico customer is that my independent insurance broker is my advocate to find the best policy at a reasonable cost. He is also my advocate to customize coverage to fit my needs. If i have a claim I expect he will advocate for me as well.

I am not a price shopper, I am a coverage shopper and am willing to pay the price for the coverage I want.

Based on that thought I have been a customer of Pete for almost two decades, and I trust him to find the best coverage for my boat.

I would never dream of loosing my advocate by purchasing my insurance directly and look forward to continuing my long relationship with my independent agent.

Geico just lost my claim free business because they decided to cut out the only person looking out for my interests... My independent agent.

Thanks Peter!
You have been my go to guy now for quite a few years, and I can rely on you consistently. You just saved me a big chunk of boat dollars again. You also found the only reputable company that would cover us while cruising the South America area. Now were working our way up to So. Carolina to park Pairadice for the summer and you came through again.
So next time we come up to the PNW, I owe you a few cold ones! Cheers buddy!

Thanks for the kind words and your trust guys- I'm just trying to do the best I can in a pretty trying market.

We've had BoatUS insurance since we bought the boat in '10.

While I've never had a claim, so far (knock on wood & my head) BoatUS has always been responsive to my contacts.

Recently, I check to see if there were hurricane exclusions (Latitudes) on my policy, which there are none.

Rates have fluctuated, which is understandable.

I queried the agent with respect to the agent cancelations and how that would impact my policy.

Her response was that BoatUS & GEICO are 1 & the same company so no changes to my policy.

I asked about boat size exclusions and she said it is strictly owner, size, experience (as well as the normal stuff of credit rating and other personal nuances). She also added that a 60' is probably the extent of the size they would entertain BUT I would check with them if you are over 60 and interested.

There may be on the MTOA site a document with the specifics of what the MTOA had negotiated with Jon which I used to upgrade my policy with BoatUS. Doing so was less expensive than the quote I got from his company which would have also necessitated a survey.

For those who are looking for replacement policies, check out BoatUS. Also, be aware you may be required to obtain a survey before they will bind you. I would guess that might be the case with any insurance company you contact for a quote.

The woman I spoke to was very cordial and straightforward with her answers.

One important issue that I rarely ever seen discussed, is whether an insurance company will pay if you file a claim. I have talked with several who had insurance with other companies that had to negotiate on getting a payment from the company, therefore for me, it isn't only the cost of the coverage, but will I need to negotiate. In all of the discussions pertaining to BoatUS, I have never heard of anyone negotiating to get paid. I understand they pay the value of the policy. That is equally important to me.

Also, when I've called BoatUS I have always gotten an agent who handles my policy, not the same agent but why do I care, they have my insurance info on the computer in front of them and can handle any needs I have.

Good luck to those searching for insurance.

I can't speak about independent agents, we use USAA for home & car which we deal directly with the company as we do with BoatUS.

While it would seem an independent agent could shop with other carriers to meet your needs, what would someone do if that company drops you, presuming communications flow from the insurance company to the policyholder? I would think that ultimately, the independent agent does owe some fiduciary responsibility to the insurance company that you are bound to, maybe not.

Interestingly, what would 1 do if the independent agent binds you to an insurance company which requires you to negotiate your claim payment? Is the agent's company going to make up the difference? Also, how can an independent agent get a better price from an insurance company than what the same company can offer an individual? Doesn't the insurance company pay the individual agent?

I wouldn't trade USAA for any other company due to the 'personal' attention I have gotten from them in 2 home claims and 2 auto claims (none my fault). They have been fantastic.

So far I am happy with BoatUS insurance and anticipate staying with them. As I said, I can call BoatUS and make any changes that I deem necessary and they have always been very responsive. I am currently scheduled for a survey to raise my coverage amount.

In closing, the way the world is going, smaller insurance companies may be dropping from a number of markets leaving only the larger, read GEICO, companies to handle certain insurance needs.

Good luck with all this insurance turmoil.

Charles, if I may make a few corrections:

BoatUS and GEICO Marine are under the same corporate entity, but are different insurance channels internally (differentiated by the policy prefix BUS or BSP for the Boat US side, and SYP for the GEICO Marine side). The BoatUS channel sells mainly on price point, while the GEICO Marine channel (comprised primarily of independent agents and some captive agents) look to coverage as equally, if not more important, than the bottom line price.

As part of the new direction they are going in, Boat US will apparently be phased out as an insurance channel and will be relegated to the TowBoat US business unit and the BoatUS Foundation, the lobbying arm.

I don't understand your logic with regards to "negotiating your claim payment, and the agent being responsible for the difference". In any claim other than a total loss, there are deductibles, and possible depreciation that factor into a claim- so do you expect the agent to pay the delta? Pease, take the time to read your policy to fully what is and what is not covered.

The independent agent represents many insurers, and the agent should be a student of those markets so he/she can shop for the best combination of coverage and premium. That is how the independent agent can get the best pricing for the client without sacrificing coverages. And yes, we are compensated by the insurance company (and this does not increase the cost to the customer). Also, most marine insurers do not offer policies directly to the retail client, but rely on the independent agent.

Does this leave Geico offering any form of boat insurance? And if so, what types? Or are they getting out of Marine insurance entirely? I'm just trying to understand what's still available to anyone dealing with the directly.

GEICO will remain in marine insurance, with an emphasis on volume of smaller, newer boats. Basically, if the vessel fits the underwriting box, they will write it. Complex risks are going to be a thing of Geico's past.

..While it would seem an independent agent could shop with other carriers to meet your needs, what would someone do if that company drops you, presuming communications flow from the insurance company to the policyholder? I would think that ultimately, the independent agent does owe some fiduciary responsibility to the insurance company that you are bound to, maybe not.

If the "independent agent' owes a fiduciary duty to your insurer and he incepted the policy for you, he`s not independent. He`s your agent, he owes you a fiduciary duty.
I don`t understand it either, but I`ve checked,some insurers will write you, and your broker for you, a policy at fairly similar rates, and still pay the broker`s commission.
When there is trouble, it could well be a broker who regularly refers business to your insurer may have more clout than you. I don`t understand why he might pick up any shortfall if the insurer is tight on paying your claim. If you don`t like their offer,you take them on, not the broker.
But, this sounds more "existing claim" than "academic/theoretical" query.

When Chubb stopped writing in FL we switched to Progressive for our Pilot 34 twin, $100k hull value, most other riders were standard. 2020 premium was $2,378, about the same as the Boat US GEICO quote. Received the Progressive renewal last week, no claims, 2021 premium. is $3,116, a 31% increase.

!st, It has happened many times that the insured is offered a lesser amount on a claim than the insurance coverage, (not counting deductible or depreciation) this info comes to me from individuals who have bemoaned their experience with a boat insurance claim. They then needed to negotiate the offered amount with their expectations. That is what I was referring to as negotiating. I might add that in those with who I had a personal level of communication, the final outcome was usually higher than the initial amount offered but took a protracted amount of time. OH, and some of these situations had agents involved others didn't.

2nd, how would an agent know more about the insurance company than the insurance company when offering insurance. Maybe an insurance company would put a new employee on the phone before truly being vetted, which I doubt, but as was mentioned about the agent at the boat show, you can get inexperienced people wherever you go. I think the insurance company is less likely for that though.

3rd, since I queried BoatUS on my insurance at the BoatUS insurance phone number, and was told that BoatUS was 1 & the same as GEICO and that my insurance was going to remain in effect, I'll go with that. IF Peter has some inside info that differs then I'd like to know where he gets his info to say, "Boat US will apparently be phased out as an insurance channel and will be relegated to the TowBoat US business unit and the BoatUS Foundation, the lobbying arm."

Since GEICO bought BoatUS even if GEICO drops the BoatUS arm of sales, would it make any sense for them to NOT fold my insurance from BoatUS to GEICO?

Is GEICO dropping their agents who handle home & car insurance or just boats?

IF GEICO is dropping all agents who handle all of their insurance books, then it would seem that since GEICO is the largest insurance company, I believe, that more insurance companies will do the same. As I previously said I have USAA for my home & car and that is obtained only, to my knowledge, directly from the company.

Let's establish a fiduciary relationship. Who pays the agent? Does the insured write a check payable to the agent for the insurance and the agent's commission? IS the commission a separate charge or is the check for the insurance with the commission rolled into it? It has been a while since I have dealt with an agent so I need some clarification. The last agent I had was a friend who said this is your insurance cost and I sent her a check for that amount.

IF the check covers insurance costs and part of that cost is commission, then there is a grey area of who is paying the agent. That would establish the fiduciary relationship. I would believe that the money flows from the insurance company to the agent. How else would the company have any control over the agent? Although, since the check is sent to the agent, my sister had an experience where she had been paying the agent for insurance and when she had a claim found out she didn't have insurance (the agent wasn't paying the insurance company).

My point on shortfalls of payment on a claim was that IF the agent is your fiduciary agent, and the insurance company tells you/him this is your payment on the claim and it is not what the claim should pay who would make up the shortfall (not including the deductible or depreciation)?

The other thing that comes to mind with an agent; how can an agent get the individual the best price when his commission is based on the sale he makes? Are agents in the business to make money? Boats, golf club memberships, mortgages are all expensive. An agent wouldn't be able to have many of the nicer things in life if they are always cutting their commission to get the individual the best price. Can anyone clarify this?

My personal experience with an agent was that I had to call 2 or 3 times to get a response when I was looking for a quote. I already had insurance so I was shopping. When I finally got the quote, which was very similar to the policy I already had and from the same company I already had, that was 'direct' from the company, the agent's cost was considerably higher. I wasn't getting any more, if I went with the agent, than I already had, except higher cost.

Admittedly, I'm not an insurance agent (is Peter an agent being a Guru?) and don't know the finer points of insurance. As someone said, if you are comfortable with your agent you should help that agent with the boat, golf club memberships, or mortgage payments. Me, I'll stick with doing my business direct and hope I am getting the best price. I should be!

In closing, the only way to know if 1 insurance company is better than another is how they pay their claims. To say I have left this insurance company for another and it's better is really hard to tell until the crying time starts.

Further, I believe an agents' commission on a policy works on a diminishing sliding scale. The longer the policy is in effect the less the agent makes. Therefore, does it make sense that it is to the agent's benefit to move a customer's policy from 1 company to another?

Insurance, one of those necessary evils.

Peter is way more in insurance that just an agent or heaven forbid someone thinks the title TF guru means something....I try to learn the backgrounds of those that post with authority on TF.

Good ain't cheap and cheap ain't good

When shopping for insurance, boat, auto, home, I would guess most don't want to overpay for insurance but remember price is only part of the equation. A good agent can ask the right questions and guide the consumer to the best available choices based on wants and needs, etc. I pay more for auto insurance because I want only genuine OEM parts can be used for repairs vs. generic parts.

I'm more comfortable to work with an agent choosing coverage and assisting with claims, I'm not an insurance expert nor do I want to be one, just looking for a good value to cover my insurance needs. GEICO and its parent company have a long history of doing what is best for themselves. No insurance company is in the business to lose $ but there should be a balance for service, value, financial strength, etc.

Nothing unusual in any industry for a company to get rid of less profitable lines and distribution and refocus on their strength. What Geico is doing is quite common.

Nothing unusual in any industry for a company to get rid of less profitable lines and distribution and refocus on their strength. What Geico is doing is quite common.

I get that. But they only acquired the less profitable line in 2015. I may not understand all the intricacies, but it seems Geico has bought out a firm known for providing competitively priced boating insurance (a competitor?) and is now gutting it. Did they acquire BOATUS with the intention of gutting the insurance piece or did Geico fail to perform due diligence before the acquisition?

Charles, I get your point that the broker getting commission from the insurer raises loyalty/fiduciary questions. But it seems to me if he discloses that will happen, it`s no "secret commission", and you accept that`s how he gets paid, he can still be your independent broker. It`s such an entrenched practice in insurance I feel it`s almost an exception.
However, it mirrors the seller via his broker paying the buyers broker on a boat transaction. I`ve never felt that was right.
I recall a Judge commenting that years ago, the best advertisement for an insurer was promptly paid claims. Still true imo, but unless you can access information about an insurers claims performance you have to rely on anecdotal information or wait to find out, be it the hard or the easy way.
I can`t help thinking that a broker who places a lot of business with an insurer has clout when claim problems arise. It`s in the insurer`s interests to look after the brokers clients to maintain the flow of business it gets.

Charles, I read you thoughts and feel that there is more speculation than fact that you present. My comments in red:

!st, It has happened many times that the insured is offered a lesser amount on a claim than the insurance coverage, (not counting deductible or depreciation) this info comes to me from individuals who have bemoaned their experience with a boat insurance claim. They then needed to negotiate the offered amount with their expectations. That is what I was referring to as negotiating. I might add that in those with who I had a personal level of communication, the final outcome was usually higher than the initial amount offered but took a protracted amount of time. OH, and some of these situations had agents involved others didn't.

You share 2nd hand info of individuals "bemoaning their experience" for their claim. In 20 years of insuring boats, as an agent, and underwriter, and national program director, it's been my experience that the claims that go sideways almost always are derived from a policyholder not reading their policy and believing that "everything is covered"- which is simply not the case. A claim is a simple thing- the vessel is damaged, and the insurer pays the claim per the policy language, or pays for the total loss per the policy language. The agent is almost never directly involved in a claim, because the separation between claims and the servicing agent (be it a direct agent of independent) keeps the claim ethical and clean. Where the agent can get involved (as I did with BD) is to light a fire under the ass of the claims personnel so the process is not delayed for any unethical reason.

2nd, how would an agent know more about the insurance company than the insurance company when offering insurance. Maybe an insurance company would put a new employee on the phone before truly being vetted, which I doubt, but as was mentioned about the agent at the boat show, you can get inexperienced people wherever you go. I think the insurance company is less likely for that though.

I don't exactly understand this line of logic. I can say that the independent agent oftentimes has a better overall grasp of marine insurance, because the IE deals with a multitude of markets, and part of the job is to know they polices he/she represents so the client can be placed in the best coverage possible based on their situation. I know which markets condone liveaboards, and which companies do not play in hurricane prone water. I know what markets to approach for the couple going thru the Canal, and who does not play in Alaska full time. Knowing the appetite of each market is critical to my business. I saw (during my tenure as an underwriter) underwriters that did not know their own product, much less have any idea of how to present against the competition outside of offering a lower price by shredding coverage.

3rd, since I queried BoatUS on my insurance at the BoatUS insurance phone number, and was told that BoatUS was 1 & the same as GEICO and that my insurance was going to remain in effect, I'll go with that. IF Peter has some inside info that differs then I'd like to know where he gets his info to say, "Boat US will apparently be phased out as an insurance channel and will be relegated to the TowBoat US business unit and the BoatUS Foundation, the lobbying arm."

As National Program Director for the GEICO Marine charter and commercial insurance program, I had plenty of insight into the inner workings of the company. The phaseout of the BoatUS insurance channel has been a top topic at GEICO since 2017. I was on the team that rewrote the GEICO policy into its current form as part of that planned integration of the BoatUS product line into the GEICO form.

You are written direct with BoatUS, so your policy is not affected. Please refer to post #1 in that the topic is the termination of the Independent Agent sales channel, and GEICO's change to a direct and captive agent sales channel.

Since GEICO bought BoatUS even if GEICO drops the BoatUS arm of sales, would it make any sense for them to NOT fold my insurance from BoatUS to GEICO?

GEICO did not buy BoatUS. GEICO became part of Berkshire Hathaway in 1995.
BoatUS was sold to National Indemnity (a 1967 Berkshire Hathaway acquisition) in 2007.
BOATUS wa transferred to GEICO Marine control in 2015.

Is GEICO dropping their agents who handle home & car insurance or just boats?
GEICO is terminating its relationship with all independent agents, no matter the line of business.

IF GEICO is dropping all agents who handle all of their insurance books, then it would seem that since GEICO is the largest insurance company, I believe, that more insurance companies will do the same. As I previously said I have USAA for my home & car and that is obtained only, to my knowledge, directly from the company.

It is common for an insurance market to evaluate its business and change strategies based on their business necessities. USAA is no different- for years USAA partnered with Markel American for its marine insurance, and changed to Progressive based on its requirements.

Let's establish a fiduciary relationship. Who pays the agent? Does the insured write a check payable to the agent for the insurance and the agent's commission? IS the commission a separate charge or is the check for the insurance with the commission rolled into it? It has been a while since I have dealt with an agent so I need some clarification. The last agent I had was a friend who said this is your insurance cost and I sent her a check for that amount.

IF the check covers insurance costs and part of that cost is commission, then there is a grey area of who is paying the agent. That would establish the fiduciary relationship. I would believe that the money flows from the insurance company to the agent. How else would the company have any control over the agent? Although, since the check is sent to the agent, my sister had an experience where she had been paying the agent for insurance and when she had a claim found out she didn't have insurance (the agent wasn't paying the insurance company).

My point on shortfalls of payment on a claim was that IF the agent is your fiduciary agent, and the insurance company tells you/him this is your payment on the claim and it is not what the claim should pay who would make up the shortfall (not including the deductible or depreciation)?

The insurance contract is between the insuring company and the policyholder- the agent (be they direct, captive or independent) is the sales force for the insuring company. All agents get paid; whether it is salary or commission. what you as the policyholder pays as an annual premium. How that is doled out in salary or commission is between the insuring company and the agent.

The IA has a contractual relationship with the insuring company. if premiums collected are co-mingled or otherwise not deposited into trust, then the agent is on the hook for any legal ramifications that come as a result of that criminal endeavor.

What is paid on the claim is what is paid on the claim- not your perception of what should be paid. Read the policy and understand how the policy operates.

The other thing that comes to mind with an agent; how can an agent get the individual the best price when his commission is based on the sale he makes? Are agents in the business to make money? Boats, golf club memberships, mortgages are all expensive. An agent wouldn't be able to have many of the nicer things in life if they are always cutting their commission to get the individual the best price. Can anyone clarify this?

The agent shops the markets for the best for the client, based on a combination of:
  • Coverages that meet the vessel owner's needs/requirements
  • The most competitive premium available.

Note the order of the 2 criteria- that is the order of importance.

What an agent can or cannot afford has little to do with income, and everything to do with sound and prudent financial planning. Your allusion that agents are money grubbers with little to no consideration to doing right by their client is frankly insulting.

My personal experience with an agent was that I had to call 2 or 3 times to get a response when I was looking for a quote. I already had insurance so I was shopping. When I finally got the quote, which was very similar to the policy I already had and from the same company I already had, that was 'direct' from the company, the agent's cost was considerably higher. I wasn't getting any more, if I went with the agent, than I already had, except higher cost.

If all the information used to rate a risk is exactly the same, the premium is exactly the same. I'll bet (based on experience) that the direct agent shorted coverages or changed other criteria to garner the lower premium- OR, parameters such as years of experience or other criteria (vessel value, nav area, etc) changed the underwriting parameters in the timeframe between when you acquired your current policy and when you reshopped your policy.

Admittedly, I'm not an insurance agent (is Peter an agent being a Guru?) and don't know the finer points of insurance. As someone said, if you are comfortable with your agent you should help that agent with the boat, golf club memberships, or mortgage payments. Me, I'll stick with doing my business direct and hope I am getting the best price. I should be!

Take the time to read and understand your policy and what is and what is not covered- hope is not a strategy. The worst time to find out about lack of coverages is when a claim occurs.
This is where the value of the IA shines- knowing how to obtain the best policy for the client, or (as in this case) giving GEICO insureds a heads up to ensure that they know what is coming form GEICO and that we (the agency) are already on top of the situation to ensure that the insured remains in coverage.

In closing, the only way to know if 1 insurance company is better than another is how they pay their claims. To say I have left this insurance company for another and it's better is really hard to tell until the crying time starts.

Further, I believe an agents' commission on a policy works on a diminishing sliding scale. The longer the policy is in effect the less the agent makes. Therefore, does it make sense that it is to the agent's benefit to move a customer's policy from 1 company to another?

A wrong assumption, and we do not move clients around willy-nilly in search of the best commission. We'l move the client to another company if situations warrant it- a new nav territory, unexpected increases in a renewal premium are common reasons.

Again, I find it distasteful that you assume such a negative viewpoint of an industry that pays out billions (yes, billions) in claims every year. For the record, most marine insurers see profitability as making less than $.10 on the dollar.

Insurance, one of those necessary evils.

No- insurance is a financial tool that can save your bacon.

The way I look at it is that the Independent agent is a subject matter expert in his field... Marine insurance, just like we are all experts in our career field.

I think I'm a pretty smart guy... I could be a surgeon but I'm not, so when i need surgery I hire the best surgeon I can find.

If i have legal troubles I could study law, but a good lawyer frankly knows more than I can ever learn in a reasonable amount of time.

My clients trust that I am an expert in my field, and they take my recommendations as what they are... based on a lifetime of experience.

An independent marine insurance is the same thing... an expert in their field. i cannot fathom the work involved to understand the intricacies of the marine insurance market, just like they cannot fathom the intricacies of my fierld.

Peter, I really do appreciate your time to respond and the information provided. Myself and others I'm sure were very enlightened by your responses. I did notice a few 'holes' in your responses but I'll leave it to others to discuss those if they see fit to do so.

Honestly, whether someone decides to use an agent, and I'm sorry I don't see an insurance agent on the level with a surgeon or lawyer, then so be it, we usually all make our decisions based on education, experience and other considerations. I was looking to see what the other 'side of the coin' looked like and I think Peter described that.

It was reassuring for me to hear from a source close to the situation going on at GEICO that I'm not in the same 'boat' as those who are losing their insurance and now need to scramble, with an agent or on their own, to find new coverage.

Not mentioned previously, I am soon being pulled for a survey to entertain the possibility of switching to Progressive (as well as having another set of eyes looking over our boat to see if I am missing anything). As was mentioned USAA has a relationship with Progressive and due to their support for claims submitted recently a switch from BoatUS may be a good move at this point.

Just for the record, my attempt to get a quote from an agent who was selling insurance from the same company that I already had insurance from and my decision that the agents insurance was more expensive and offered little or no more coverage was based on a comparison of items I added into my current policy which the agent was also offering in his 'package'. Therefore it was as close as it could be for a neophyte to being an apples-to-apples comparison.

Please, Peter or anyone else, do not take my comments or questions as an attack on personal integrity. I was just offering my input to elicit responses that myself and others might want to hear or know about.

Who knows Peter, 1 of these days you might hear from me for a quote.

Again, thanks for your time and input.

There are very few posts on TF, including mine that don't contain holes in someone's opinion/experience.

An expert is an expert in the field no matter the education, certifications required to get there. There are experts in theoretical sciences...thing that have never even been proven, yet many here consider someone an expert in marine sanitation systems.

I have been a USAA members for over 40 years, but they have been unable to insure my boat or RV for more than 25 of those. Not even their hacks like Progressive can. The good news is they send me so much money back each year that I have had free auto insurance for at least the last 20. I am just sorry I have to spend most of my insurance money elsewhere. Progressive gave me a much less quote when I went direct..but that does not mean they will ultimately bind, at the quoted cost and it wasn't as full coverage as Geico was.

So bottom line for me is out of all the insurance companies I have dealt with, USAA came from solid roots for a guy like me but has admitted to themselves they have lost their way in growth beyond their capability to deliver what they were formed for....Boat US related insurance has had a system for investigating and servicing boat claims that I have not seen matched (but will admit, not seeing it doesn't mean others dont).

Last edited:
Peter, I really do appreciate your time to respond and the information provided. Myself and others I'm sure were very enlightened by your responses. I did notice a few 'holes' in your responses but I'll leave it to others to discuss those if they see fit to do so.

Honestly, whether someone decides to use an agent, and I'm sorry I don't see an insurance agent on the level with a surgeon or lawyer, then so be it, we usually all make our decisions based on education, experience and other considerations. I was looking to see what the other 'side of the coin' looked like and I think Peter described that.

It was reassuring for me to hear from a source close to the situation going on at GEICO that I'm not in the same 'boat' as those who are losing their insurance and now need to scramble, with an agent or on their own, to find new coverage.

Not mentioned previously, I am soon being pulled for a survey to entertain the possibility of switching to Progressive (as well as having another set of eyes looking over our boat to see if I am missing anything). As was mentioned USAA has a relationship with Progressive and due to their support for claims submitted recently a switch from BoatUS may be a good move at this point.

Just for the record, my attempt to get a quote from an agent who was selling insurance from the same company that I already had insurance from and my decision that the agents insurance was more expensive and offered little or no more coverage was based on a comparison of items I added into my current policy which the agent was also offering in his 'package'. Therefore it was as close as it could be for a neophyte to being an apples-to-apples comparison.

Please, Peter or anyone else, do not take my comments or questions as an attack on personal integrity. I was just offering my input to elicit responses that myself and others might want to hear or know about.

Charles, as a proud long term professional in what I do, I find your disparaging comments about insurance agents to be disingenuous and an insult. This is my chosen vocation, and I (and many others) are damn good at it. It IS a personal insult. That you find us beneath your standards is perhaps the bear reason that you remain without an independent agent as your advocate.

Clearly you value low pricing before anything else- nothing wrong with that, but caveat emptor. It’s been my experience that owners looking for the lowest price possible as their main insuring criteria are also the biggest headaches when claims occur.

Going from the BUS policy to considering Progressive is going from the majors to triple A. Know that Progressive is the target BUS is emulating- formula underwriting, and you’d be losing coverage vs the BUS policy.

Nobody is losing their insurance for cause- the coverages being written currently by independent agents is being non-renewed for placement elsewhere based on contractural mandates.GEICO is offering to require clients once their current policy expires.

I don’t know what holes you speak of, but that is of little concern.

Good fortune in your quest.

They were very personal attacks on the integrity of everyone in his profession. But then you tout Progressive, which shows how little you value quality and how much you value price in your boat insurance. I'd encourage you to read and compare the complete policy and also the claims practices.

I have objectivity as to carriers as I have no insurance through Geico or Progressive. Geico provided quality policies and service. Sad to see so many of their customers displaced.

We are insured through Lloyd's Marketplace through a marine broker and have the power of the broker and Lloyd's as the underwriters have changed several times over the years. In the regard of having to change and search marine insurance is very annoying, about as bad as phone and cable and electricity in some states but then in South Florida property insurance is even worse so guess marine coverage just doesn't seem as bad to us.

Nepidae, speaking as one of your "anyone else's", you might want to go back and re-read your post # 42.

Just got my GEICO renewal notice for my 1979 49ft MT. Went from $1460 to $1660. I had one claim last year from a severe windstorm tearing off my canvas. I'm still happy with them. Had no issues with getting paid for the damage. I think the rumors of them dropping all older, larger boats may be a little overblown, or misinterpreted.

And what Peter said.....

Last edited:
Just got my GEICO renewal notice for my 1979 49ft MT. Went from $1460 to $1660. I had one claim last year from a severe windstorm tearing off my canvas. I'm still happy with them. Had no issues with getting paid for the damage. I think the rumors of them dropping all older, larger boats may be a little overblown, or misinterpreted.

And what Peter said.....
Your policy will remain in effect as long as you are direct with GEICO. If your policy lapses for any reason midterm, you may have a challenge, as GEICO is no longer offering new business coverage on vessels older than 40 years.

Well, Geico/Boat US renewed our full coverage insurance on our 48 year boat in March, 2021, so I guess we have nine months to worry about what is going to happen next year.

Ours went from $2848 in 2020 to $2613 in 2021, the first year it has ever gone down instead of up.

But, on the other hand, we have gone through several hurricanes, including a direct hit by Zeta last year, with no claims, so maybe we are being rewarded for that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom