General Purpose Sealant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ERTF

What's a good general purpose sealant to keep on hand for miscellaneous ABOVE THE WATERLINE jobs?

In particular, I need to seal the edge of a lip around my roof for water collection. And also going to need to re-bed windows.

4200 if you ever want to remove it, 5200 if it is a permanent thing.

pete

4200 if you ever want to remove it, 5200 if it is a permanent thing.

pete

Is there anything adequate that's cheaper than 4200?

Especially for small upkeep it gets expensive. Crack a new tube to seal a new hole or a leak. Then come back in a month or two for a new fix and the tube is rock solid.

Is there anything adequate that's cheaper than 4200?

Especially for small upkeep it gets expensive. Crack a new tube to seal a new hole or a leak. Then come back in a month or two for a new fix and the tube is rock solid.

Buy the smaller squeeze tubes rather than the caulk gun cartridge for smaller jobs. To store for reuse, place in a zip-loc bag with all the air removed and place in the freezer. It will last at least a year this way.

I have also used Phenoseal Adhesive Caulk to re bed port holes and windows. Seems to last at least as long as 4200 and is very easy to work with. Clean up is with water. A damp rag will leave a perfect seam between the object being bedded and the substrate.

We used it for many years in the tile business sealing shower fixtures and the like. It is recommended for marine use above the waterline.

Rob

For rebedding I have used and highly recommend Compass Marine Butyl Tape.
CM is a helpful member here and I try to throw some business his way when possible.
His Marine How To articles are great and there is one specifically for bedding with BT.
https://marinehowto.com/
Extra tape is easy to store and use a little or a lot in the future.

Sikaflex 291, about $15/tube. I just finished replacing the glass in my teak sliding side deck door at the helm and used it to bed the glass and stops. Paintable, sandable, medium strength marine adhesive sealant. Very pleased with the results.

3M 4000UV is better for anything exposed to UV. However it is a polyether, very aggressive cure, and difficult to save the tube once opened.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom