GenSet replacement cost?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boulton20

Veteran Member
Good evening everyone. I have been eyeing a boat online for a couple of months. The information says that the genset inoperable, due to a bad water pump. My question is, let say it's worse that a water pump and the whole genset is TU. What would a ballpark cost be to install a new genset? It currently has a Onan MDJE 7500. Thanks in advance, Kris

DIY install or paid install. DIY maybe $9K, installed maybe $14K. But I have not priced gensets lately so I may be way off.

DIY, as much as possible. The unhooking of the old and reconnecting to the new is pretty staight forward. It's the forklift, I'm lacking. I would need to hire for removal of the old and placement of the new.

What KW generator might you be taking out and what KW generator might you be putting in?
If it is the same brand and KW, the swap should be pretty easy.
I would start with the investigation of the water pump. Just might be an easy fix.

Last edited:
I am replacing my 8kw Onan with a 9kw Northern Lights. My genset is in my cockpit. I am paying to have installed. Cost around 23 boat dollars or $23,000.

Good evening everyone. I have been eyeing a boat online for a couple of months. The information says that the genset inoperable, due to a bad water pump. My question is, let say it's worse that a water pump and the whole genset is TU. What would a ballpark cost be to install a new genset? It currently has a Onan MDJE 7500. Thanks in advance, Kris

You could make an offer subject to the genset working during survey and sea trial. If it's just the water pump, the seller could well bite that bullet, get it fixed, and demonstrate to you that the rest of the unit is (semi-) OK.

-Chris

I would inquire whether it the water pump not being functional is preventing them from demonstrating it or if the water pump failed and it continued to run until further damage was done to the engine itself.

I am replacing my 8kw Onan with a 9kw Northern Lights. My genset is in my cockpit. I am paying to have installed. Cost around 23 boat dollars or $23,000.
ASD, I'm thinking the cost of your new gen set is roughly 1/2 the total finished cost? I have a rule of thumb that I have found very useful when first thinking about the budget for a project. It's quite simple. Whatever "it" costs, double that amount before the old is removed and the new installed and working correctly. That applies only to hiring all the work done, has no bearing on DIY. It's not a perfect rule but a decent place to start thinking about it. Of course there are a lot of exceptions, for example modern electronics are so easy to install there is almost no reason to involve the pros.

That's a good rule of thumb I think, maybe not for all but for a lot of projects. I got a really great, incredibly efficient new refrigerator for the boat last year. Cost about $500. By the time I finished pulling out the old one, disposal fee at the landfill, inverter, wiring, small modifications to the cabinet for a secure fit, cabinet fan for good air circulation... Yeah, about doubled the purchase price.

That is a reasonable price installed.

There is a lot more to the project than just swapping out the generator.

What people often underestimate is the labor hours necessary to get the control panel up and working.

You could make an offer subject to the genset working during survey and sea trial.

-Chris

100%:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

ASD, I'm thinking the cost of your new gen set is roughly 1/2 the total finished cost? I have a rule of thumb that I have found very useful when first thinking about the budget for a project. It's quite simple. Whatever "it" costs, double that amount before the old is removed and the new installed and working correctly. That applies only to hiring all the work done, has no bearing on DIY. It's not a perfect rule but a decent place to start thinking about it. Of course there are a lot of exceptions, for example modern electronics are so easy to install there is almost no reason to involve the pros.

Just about double now. Labor is almost 6K

That is a reasonable price installed.

There is a lot more to the project than just swapping out the generator.

What people often underestimate is the labor hours necessary to get the control panel up and working.

When looking at the estimate they seem to have it pretty close.

Last edited:
I would be interested in the 7.5 MDJE if that is going to sell. :)

Something else to remember (as ASD can attest) wait times for delivery of units are running 6+ months. I had someone tell me back in Oct it could be 12-18 months with NO guarantee... :(
I would (as someone else mentioned) have the owner replace the water pump and show it running. If it works, then you include those repair costs in the purchase price. If not, it's on him... If you still go through with purchase, you won't waste any money trying to see which way would be better for you to go...

For removal, depending on where yours is in the boat, look into a "cheap" engine lift. You can find them fairly cheap used or for about $150-$200 from somewhere like Harbor Freight... The gens can be disassembled into the engine and the electrical generator pieces. That can also make removal a bit easier for you...
I recently had to replace the electrical side of my Westerbeke. Researched the process and completed it all myself. Wasn't that difficult... :)

Good luck! :)

Attachments

• lift.jpg
    lift.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 53
  • 20211014_201000.jpg
    20211014_201000.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 65
The problem would seem to be with the motor and not the generator. Either way or both completely rebuilt units with warranties are available for either or both for way less than new.

I have the same generator. I have not been able to find parts for it anywhere. I changed the raw water impeller and it did not last 2 hours.

I have the same generator. I have not been able to find parts for it anywhere. I changed the raw water impeller and it did not last 2 hours.

Finding parts for some of the old Onans can be tough. Most stuff is out there if you dig for it, but certain things are discontinued and in limited supply. The Smokstak forums have a bunch of old Onan gurus on there that can usually help with the stuff those of us here don't know.

With my MCCK I've bought parts off eBay a few times. And some stuff has taken some hunting. But I've get to hit any real roadblocks. And if you can keep them working and live with their quirks, the old Onans are pretty durable, good performing units.

We just had a Westerbeke 8kw taken out of our Bayliner 3870 and a Soli 8kw installed. I hired all the work out.

They had to cut out the old base, glass in a new base to fit the new unit into the tight space, pull out the old remote along with all the wiring as it was 35 years old. Extras were a split exhaust, the remote panel, a new through hull and the lift out of the vessel onto the hard.

Alaskan Sea-Duction cost of US $23K converted to Canadian (my country) is around $28K Canadian which was similar to my experience. The initial price on the generator was $11K Canadian, so complete job was approximately two and a half times the purchase price of the unit. Sorting out the remote and programming/balancing the unit was a bit time consuming - took extra two days of labour.

Though a bit costly we are very happy with the new unit, especially the drop in noise.

I have found parts relatively easy to find. What are you looking for? I have a good stash of extras, spares and other bits laying about. The zincs, impellers, filters, etc are available anywhere. I use Globe impellers. Last a long time. PM for what you may need.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom