Grand Banks 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacsan

I am considering to purchase a GB 36 with a single 110hp engine. Is this too under power for this boat?

Thanks,
Jack

Depends. For displacement speeds (7-8 knots), that is a perfect engine. I believe that is a semi-displacement hull, so it is capable of speeds above displacement speeds. I'm guessing it was re-powered.

Could be a great engine for that boat if, like most people, you'd stay at or below 8kts. Another 110hp would probably get you to 10kts at 4x the fuel consumption - hard to see when that would ever be helpful.

Also, a single 110 is likely to make your life much much better when it comes to maintenance versus, say, twin Lehman 120's. We have a CHB41 with twin Lehamn 120's and I'd prefer a single, particularly if it had a bow thruster.

One thing someone is sure to point out: if you are going with a single, you'd better make 100% sure it's maintained and tip top condition.

We have a single 135. Maybe we use 1/2 of that HP to cruise at hull speed (Just under 7 knots). A single 110 is plenty for that boat. To get a 36 "over the hump" on to plane would take probably 4 times as much HP.....and fuel. If its a well maintained engine it should be a great fit. (Diesel I am assuming)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom