Grand Banks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have one of the early wood 36 foot 73's. I believe that other models were wood for longer, but do not know this for sure.

The 42 became fibreglass at hull number 386 in mid 1973.

In 88 the 36 was widened and a port cabin door was added. Can be found with a single or twins. I have twin Lehman 135's, but can favorably argue either application...

It is my understanding that there were 365 Classic 36 wooden hulls produced through 1973.
I have hull number 323.

As far as the 42 classic I believe hull 353 was last woody and 354 was first FG in 1973 if I remember correctly. I was onboard both vessels in the late 90's or early 00's. I remember because I had GB 42-125 at the time and my home port then of Decatur, AL was a short side trip for Great Loop boaters. I went and greeted all Grand Banks that stopped in our marina and in under three years got to see the "last woody 42" and then the first 42 made in a mold.
I was highly biased to the woodies back then, but have been converted to the plastic boat tribe, largely because of wisdom imparted on this forum, plus plummeting resale values, insurance difficulties, rarity of railway lifts and wooden boat experts, expense of maintenance, marinas not wanting woodies, etc. I will still say nothing feels as good as a well built wooden boat; it just feels right.

Back
Top Bottom