Greenline DDI display upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

READY

Guru
Vessel Name
Electra
Vessel Make
Greenline 33
Has anyone explored an alternative to the tiny round DDI display? Lots of useful data but very difficult to read. Mine is a new to me 2011 GL33. Is the interface just a CANBUS or similar that I can display on my soon to be installed Victron Ekrano (essentially a CerboGX integrated as 1 unit with a 7" touchscreen). I am guessing the DDI is simply reading PIDs and SPIDS off the bus and not actually actively doing or controlling anything.

My boat has the BMV-602S battery monitor and I was hoping to potentially eliminate the BMV and DDI displays and integrate that all into the Victron system.

FYI the 2x Victron 24v 180 AH batteries are still working although it seems they are reduced to perhaps 140+/- AH capacity. I am just pretty happy that these 2013 batteries are working at all. Planning to replace them but not in a rush.

Has anyone explored an alternative to the tiny round DDI display? Lots of useful data but very difficult to read. Mine is a new to me 2011 GL33. Is the interface just a CANBUS or similar that I can display on my soon to be installed Victron Ekrano (essentially a CerboGX integrated as 1 unit with a 7" touchscreen). I am guessing the DDI is simply reading PIDs and SPIDS off the bus and not actually actively doing or controlling anything.

My boat has the BMV-602S battery monitor and I was hoping to potentially eliminate the BMV and DDI displays and integrate that all into the Victron system.

FYI the 2x Victron 24v 180 AH batteries are still working although it seems they are reduced to perhaps 140+/- AH capacity. I am just pretty happy that these 2013 batteries are working at all. Planning to replace them but not in a rush.
I don't have a direct answer to your question, but I can share a bit of related information/experience that might be helpful(?).
The DDI is connected directly to the HCU (Hybrid Control Unit - which is the big "silver box" in the bilge roughy under the port-side sofa). As you already noted, it has a lot of numbers. Of course, many of these numbers are voltages and things you would expect some Victron equipment could digest and display. But there is also a lot of what I would call hybrid-specific information here that I doubt any Victron unit could fully digest and display. For example: Mode (Generation/N/Fwd/Reverse, RPMs, Electric motor temperature (which is important), Error conditions (VERY complicated) etc. I had to have my HCU rebuilt once quite a number of years ago and they sent me a new DDI (same model) to install together with it. Not sure why, since my old DDI seemed to work, but I did what they told me to do. They also told me that if my HCU fails in the future, it will be too obsolete to rebuild. I don't know what the solution will be if I need to replace it in the future, but when and if I do, I'm sure it will come with a different -- and hopefully friendlier version of the DDI. And, I do recall them mentioning at the time that the DDI was CANBUS.

Thanks Scott. I hope my HCU doesn't fail. I am just a few weeks into my ownership experience so great to have you as a resource.

I am guessing that it might be possible if the DDI is CANBus. The "LABEL" would be the PID and the data would be the SPID. I have a friend who is an expert on CANBus so perhaps he can help. Where do you go/contact for your support? I have not yet tried to reach the US team but hoping they will be helpful if/when I have a problem I cannot resolve on my own. I believe there was a local tech here in San Diego who was competent but I believe he is no longer in the region.
I really have been impressed with the "livability" of the boat and how much they have fit into the 33' boat yet not feeling cramped. With our weather we keep the stern and galley window most anytime at dock or on anchor.
I considered the ranger tug boats and while they too had a lot of features it just seemed they pushed too much and too many compromises. The Greenlines feel and look much more like a mini-yacht.
I am about to replace my Lynx Ion with a newer version with Bluetooth and add in the Ekrano. I already replaced the Victron mppt charger with their new model with BT. I wanted to get better info on the output and be able to read/program it from my phone. That seems to be working well. I am not sure I am not sure the panels are outputting at expected levels so I may locate their junction box and test each panel. They might have some age degradation but in full sun from 6 panels the most I have seen is 500 +/- Watts and that seems low. I will give them a good cleaning and see if that improves. I will share with the forum what I learn through my experience.
Ken

Thanks Scott. I hope my HCU doesn't fail. I am just a few weeks into my ownership experience so great to have you as a resource.

I am guessing that it might be possible if the DDI is CANBus. The "LABEL" would be the PID and the data would be the SPID. I have a friend who is an expert on CANBus so perhaps he can help. Where do you go/contact for your support? I have not yet tried to reach the US team but hoping they will be helpful if/when I have a problem I cannot resolve on my own. I believe there was a local tech here in San Diego who was competent but I believe he is no longer in the region.
I really have been impressed with the "livability" of the boat and how much they have fit into the 33' boat yet not feeling cramped. With our weather we keep the stern and galley window most anytime at dock or on anchor.
I considered the ranger tug boats and while they too had a lot of features it just seemed they pushed too much and too many compromises. The Greenlines feel and look much more like a mini-yacht.
I am about to replace my Lynx Ion with a newer version with Bluetooth and add in the Ekrano. I already replaced the Victron mppt charger with their new model with BT. I wanted to get better info on the output and be able to read/program it from my phone. That seems to be working well. I am not sure I am not sure the panels are outputting at expected levels so I may locate their junction box and test each panel. They might have some age degradation but in full sun from 6 panels the most I have seen is 500 +/- Watts and that seems low. I will give them a good cleaning and see if that improves. I will share with the forum what I learn through my experience.
Ken
Congrats on your new-to-you GL33! Let the "hybrid learning" begin ;-)

At the time I needed my HCU rebuilt, I was dealing directly with the factory in Slovenia, since they did not have a distributor yet in Sweden. Since then, the original builder, SeaWay went bankrupt and was bought out by SVP Yachts, which continued and expanded the line. SVP has continued to help me out directly on some issues, even though there is now a Swedish distributor. So you might have luck with them. This is their e-mail address: aftersales@svpyachts.com
As far as your panels are concerned, if you are saying pMax of 500watts is the most you've seen, then that does sound a bit low to me. The GL33's of our era were delivered with a max-rated panel farm totaling 1300 watts. In early 2019, I had contracted the factory to come to Sweden and change my LiPo battery, which was beginning to fail and I had them replace all my solar panels at the same time. This was because the newer GL33's were being delivered with a farm rated at 1800w. I gave up on trying to fit in an extra battery, so managed to get part way there by upgrading the solar panels. The original panels were guaranteed for 10 years, but mine still had what I thought was a respectable output at the time I had them removed (sorry, I don't have any historical wattage figures to support this). So, I am doubtful that age degradation can fully explain the low wattage you are seeing. In case you haven't already discovered, you access the control box for each panel from inside the cabin ceiling. There are 7 decorative panels that are held in place by industrial-strength Velcro. Find a corner where you can pull down on one gently, but firmly and it will yield...then work your way around each panel. It's a bit tedious to get them properly aligned again when putting them back up. I would recommend starting aft and working your way forward for the re-installation. You will also find 12v light wires going to most panels. To make it easier, I cut these and installed male/female plug crimp connectors. Make sure not to get the polarity mixed up! Once you get the panels down, you will see how the panels are connected. Yours may be two banks of 3 panels in series or it may be 3 banks of 2 panels in series. A thorough cleaning, however, sounds like a good and simple strategy to start with.

Great info. I am also just about to swap those ceiling halogens to LED. I was shocked no prior owner made this simple change. The halogens would make great heaters!

Back
Top Bottom