Gulf Islands recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rudybones

Vessel Name
Latis
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 46ft Classic
Will be motoring my Grand Banks Sedan (50ft) to Gulf Islands, Aug 5-23rd, stopping at Stuart, Sidney, Brentwood Marina, Ganges, Montague, Poets Cove and Roche. Any suggestions feedback will be appreciated. First time in areas. Bowthruster helps but not knowing the waters and marinas makes me a little wary. Thanks Ed

You will anchor out I expect at Montague. I prefer off rhr shell beach but most prefer the inner harbour. Great holding. One of Canada’s best restaurants is walking distance but need very advance reservations unless you get lucky last minute. It’s a 3 1/2 hour tasting menu!

I also prefer to anchor at Poets Cove (Pender Harbour).

You will need reservation at Ganges. Anchoring is more problematic there I think with all the local’s mooring balls and some tricky areas. Saturday quite busy due to farmers/arts market.

Brentwood Marina also often full. I like anchoring back in Todd Inlet but limited number of spots, swing radius. Especially with a bigger boat.

Roche isn’t in the gulf islands, but you knew that I’m sure!

Also, let me add Genoa Bay to your list to consider. Again I prefer to anchor out but they have good docking. And a really good restaurant there. Further north is Ladysmith too.

Sounds like a great trip. Just be aware that in Ganges, Montague or Poets Cove (which is on South Pender Island, Painted Boat is in Pender Harbour) or really anywhere in the Gulf Islands, you will not get water for your tanks or to wash the boat.

You stops in Sidney and Brentwood will have water as they are on Vancouver Island.

You might consider adding Victoria to your itinerary. It is a wonderful stop for a day or 2. You are right downtown.

Also, let me add Genoa Bay to your list to consider. Again I prefer to anchor out but they have good docking. And a really good restaurant there. Further north is Ladysmith too.
Agree with Genoa Bay. It feels like stepping back several decades. Decent docks and lots of room for anchoring. Can't speak to the cafe, but breakfast on the barge in the marina is a must-do. We like nearby Cowichan too.

Don't miss the sausage rolls at Barb's Buns in Ganges.

The Crane & Robin is at the top of the ramp at Montague Harbour Marina. Typical seasonal marina food, fine for a light lunch.

A brisk 10 minute walk, southerly, along Montague Park Rd. gets you to the pilgrimme. A quirky but highly rated restaurant where the tasting menu starts at about $115 each.

Although we all could likely use the exercise to walk to & from dinner after spending that kind of $, it seems somehow you know…….. pedestrian.

For those with more mundane tastes, the Hummingbird Pub with Tommy Transit providing the laughter on the ride or for something about halfway in between the 2 extremes, the Woodstone where, given notice, Roxanne will get you and your party to and fro the Marina in their shuttle. Their food is excellent.

A few other options also exist but are generally harder to get to.

See my earlier post about Ladysmith Oyster Bay Marina. Just don’t expect anything to be open on Sunday or Monday. You can wash your boat and fill your tanks. Tumbo Island rarely gets mentioned, but in settled weather it is sublime.

I'm just back from a trip to Desolation Sound. I found pump outs are hard to come by -- either non-functional or blocked by moored vessels. I don't know if the problem is as bad in the Gulf Islands, but advise to pump early and often when you get the chance.

I'm just back from a trip to Desolation Sound. I found pump outs are hard to come by -- either non-functional or blocked by moored vessels. I don't know if the problem is as bad in the Gulf Islands, but advise to pump early and often when you get the chance.
I am sorry to hear that. I found the same thing when I went.

To the OP, are you planning on all marinas, or any anchoring? Depending on the anchorage location (and crowd) a stern tie may be required. It's not as frequent in the Gulf Islands as much as North.

As for Brentwood, does that also mean dinghy to Butchart Gardens? (Great.) Although I'm personally not into formal gardens I can very highly recommend the high tea! Definitely get a reservation for that.

If you get to Brentwood Blue's Bayou Cafe is worth a visit. If you go Saturday you can watch Butchart's Gardens fireworks and catch a show on the stage in the evening.

+1 for Tumbo, if the weather is good. A NW wind (the most common direction) makes it uncomfortable however.

+1 for Tumbo, if the weather is good. A NW wind (the most common direction) makes it uncomfortable however.
southeast has been the norm for Tumbo/cabbage island, but this year there have been many NW. Hope it is not going to be the norm.

Iowa State University (of all places) publishes Wind Rose Plots for hundreds of places worldwide.

Here is the the Plot for the weather station on Saturna @ East Point, I think.
Looks like the wind comes from the SW most often, based on the last 44 years of data.

Lots of info on this site.

Iowa State University (of all places) publishes Wind Rose Plots for hundreds of places worldwide.

Here is the the Plot for the weather station on Saturna @ East Point, I think.
Looks like the wind comes from the SW most often, based on the last 44 years of data.

Lots of info on this site.

OK, I had never seen that before. Thanks for sharing!

I stand corrected! It just seems that every time we go to Tumbo we get chased out after a few days by a NW wind. Last time it was NW with a rising tide - made the run to Winter Harbour "interesting".

@luna
The backside of Saturna does get the SW wind, Cabbage/Tumbo sees SE from the same wind which starts as a Westerly down the San Juan straight. which goes over the San Juan Islands and curves back up Straight of Georgia. East point is exposed to the SW so will report more of that direction
Climate change is starting to show more NW down into Tumbo the past decade. This is local knowledge going to Cabbage/Tumbo since the 70's. crossing from Crescent Beach.

In fact this year we encountered eye of the storm conditions in Georgia straight, waves from all directions, a washing machine. Windy showed a counter clockwise rotation.

While we are at it, the wind forecasts locally have been off this year both in direction and speed. Windy has real time reports of actual wind which are pointing into the forecast direction.

I stand corrected! It just seems that every time we go to Tumbo we get chased out after a few days by a NW wind. Last time it was NW with a rising tide - made the run to Winter Harbour "interesting".

No need to stand corrected as your observations are likely correct.

Weather can be influenced by lots of things including the time of year and the location of the reporting station, as SteveK pointed out.

Here is the Wind Rose Plot for the month of July 2024 for Sandheads, which is farther away but is exposed in a similar fashion as Tumbo.

Clearly NW and SE wind dominate in July with Aug. and Sept. similar.

If you wait a year or two you may be 100% correct. I have never had so many NW into Cabbage/Tumbo as this year and last. But it is the same WSW wind from Juan de Fuca that comes in, then forms a circle back into Cabbage. BTW, the flooding current also wraps around east point and creates a large back eddy (or it did when fishing was great).

Back
Top Bottom