Gulf Islands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry Gulf Island B.C.. Just north of the San Juan's.
We cruise the San Juans often and want to try a little North and West!

It is always interesting the mental picture people have of directions. North of the San Juan Islands is Blaine, WA. You pretty much go West from the San Juan Islands to get to the Gulf Islands and SE Alaska.

I will thirds Montague Harbor and the Hummingbirdbus to the Restaurant and Hiking on Wallace Island.

Moby's docks are missing this year, so make a reservation if planning a stop at Ganges marina, they will be busy.

Burgoyne Bay is a nice, quiet anchorage, well protected, seldom busy, never full. If going through Sansum Narrows, the pub in Maple Bay is worth a stop.

Good advice re: Ganges. Just called for a Friday reservation (on Monday). No posada.

Many, many excellent suggestions to which I would add just one refinement for your first night.
Since you are reporting at Bedwell, you could try for a buoy at Beaumont Marine Park ($14CAD/night) or stay at Poet's Cover Marina ($more, great re$taurant). Dinghy through Pender Canal to the dinghy dock at Port Browning Marina (good pub) and walk to "downtown Pender" for the liquor store and grocery for provisions that you couldn't bring across the border.
In planning the rest of your time, you may find this web site helpful https://nwcruising.net/index.html

Too many choices, but i will say Ganges has to be included. Sweetest small town on the west coast. If youre serious about crowds, avoid Saturday. Ganges has the best Farmers' Market i've ever seen...and a lot of people know it.

Lots of dock space and close-in anchorage if you prefer. Groceries, liquor and hardware all near the pierhead. Block ice!

All true, but I cannot reccomend the Ganges marina. Docks are decrepit, actually unsafe. The cut off water at 5pm (and neglect to warn you) and the charge for garbage. The public docks may be better, but they don't take reservations.

Why not pass it by and go to Genoa Bay. Fabulous restaurant on the dock, no charge for garbage. Well maintained docks, friendly staff. Small, but well stocked store. Spent 3 nights there this month and will definitely be returning.

Another really great place is Telegraph Harbor Marina on Thetis Island. Very nice facilities and Tara and Ron are very welcoming hosts. There is a PUB at the Thetis Marina, which has good food and sells liquor. Take your dinghy to it. I recomend walking across island to the ferry on west side, and going to Chemainus. Good sized town, lots of shopping, and hundreds of murals on bldgs.

We stay at the Kanaka public dock at Ganges every year and always get a slip. Getting a slip depends on what time you arrive.

We've never stayed at the Ganges Marina. Before the public marina opened, we stayed at the Saltspring Marina. It was further from town but very friendly. Stacy was the harbor master there from the early 90's to mid 2000's and she kept the place tidy and efficiently run.

Ganges Marina was more popular but not as nice as Salt Spring Marina.

Anchoring behind the islands to the north of Ganges near the ferry landing is an option. You don't get the wakes and waves back there that you encounter in Ganges Harbor.

And Ganges is a town you don't want to miss.

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the great ideas!
We will be getting over there on Sunday so I'm hoping that might help (a little) with the crowds. Probably arrive Ganges on Tuesday. Because all the advise we are thinking about Salt Springs marina, does anyone have any recent experience with the condition there? We don't spend a lot of time at the dock but like it to be nice when we do!

Saltspring Marina at this time does not exist, they torn the docks out for replacement and are having trouble with the long term leases........:banghead:
Maybe later in the year according to their website.

Thanks again for all the great ideas!
We will be getting over there on Sunday so I'm hoping that might help (a little) with the crowds. Probably arrive Ganges on Tuesday. Because all the advise we are thinking about Salt Springs marina, does anyone have any recent experience with the condition there? We don't spend a lot of time at the dock but like it to be nice when we do!

The docks at Saltspring Marina were gone when we visited two weeks ago. Several people thought that their permit did not get issued until it was too late for starting to build new docks.

Go to the Kanaka Public Warf and if full, linger around and some helpful boater will come out and tell you that he is getting ready to leave or tell you of someone else leaving.

If no one gives you positive info, raft up to one of the boats on the outside dock until someone leaves.

Check out is 10 am so if you get there later, you chance of a slip is less. Also at 4 PM, slips may become available when the free 2 hour day use boats are required to leave or pay for moorage.

Chandleries in Sidney BC

...So there is no marine stores in downtown Sidney.
Although the "downtown" part is strictly true, there are a couple of chandler shops within striking distance: All Bay Marine and Spencer's Marine Supply and Consignment, both on Harbour Road, 2.5km from Port Sidney Marina. I find the "consignment" part of the latter quite interesting - some bargains to be had in used parts and gear.

I recommend you pick up Docks and Destinations and/or Anchorages and Marine Parks both by Peter Vassolopoulos depending on your cruising style. Then you can make an informed choice. He also ha a cruising guide for the Gulf Islands, if you would like to work out an itinerary. Best for pictures and maps (not charts).

Although the "downtown" part is strictly true, there are a couple of chandler shops within striking distance: All Bay Marine and Spencer's Marine Supply and Consignment, both on Harbour Road, 2.5km from Port Sidney Marina. I find the "consignment" part of the latter quite interesting - some bargains to be had in used parts and gear.

I've been to both of those stores. The consignment section is what I like. Not as big as the former Boaters Exchange in Sidney.

Do you know what happened to Boaters Exchange? I've been going there since when they were across the highway in the 90's and their various moves in Sidney.

The docks at Saltspring Marina were gone when we visited two weeks ago. Several people thought that their permit did not get issued until it was too late for starting to build new docks.

Popular story is that the new, docks and ramps were all built last year, for installation over the winter. First thing to be done was removal of all the existing infrastructure, then they found out they hadn't permits from either Fisheries or under the "Heritage Conservation Act" so all stop. Those permits are time and $$ and are still outstanding.
Those really in the know aren't spreading the real story.

Latest news on Saltspring Marina from their website.......

Salt Spring Marina Update July 12, 2019!!!!!

Thank you for your patience and support during the long lease amendment process. We are extremely pleased to inform everyone that we now have all the approvals necessary!

We will begin dredging by July 23. Our builder, Island Marine Construction, has given us a construction schedule showing completion by October 11, 2019. Our website will show progress live via webcam!

Latest news on Saltspring Marina from their website.......

Salt Spring Marina Update July 12, 2019!!!!!

Thank you for your patience and support during the long lease amendment process. We are extremely pleased to inform everyone that we now have all the approvals necessary!

We will begin dredging by July 23. Our builder, Island Marine Construction, has given us a construction schedule showing completion by October 11, 2019. Our website will show progress live via webcam!

Thanks Mike.

Today's live view:
https://saltspringexchange.com/cams/ganges-harbour/

Spent 5 nights on the hook on the south end of Montague. The harbor gets more and more mooring buoys at the south end so anchorages are further out from shore. It was crowded on some days and not on others.

Went through Dodd at the 9:48 am slack. Misinformed, by Wagoneer, boaters announcing themselves when they are not a hazard to other boats. One sailboat going south tried to halt a gaggle of northbound sailboats. Some of the northbound sailboats stopped and others slowed. We proceeded through at about 6 knots. The southbound sailboat saw us coming through and made a 180 even though there was plenty of room. He did not wave to us.

Approaching Nanimo Yacht Club, the reciprocal dock was full. We slowly cruised by and a trawler started to depart. Hot D&m!

We'll spend two nites on the dock and anchor over by the Dinghy Pub for a few days.

Our weekly routine cruising San Juan/Gulf Islands is to anchor 5 days, then go to a dock for 2.

The only time I've had to turn around entering Dodd was encountering a log boom, otherwise for just normal traffic if everyone gets in line and behaves themselves it is fine. Actually the only 'problem' I ever had there was a large power cruiser who seemed unwilling to slow and get in line. For a moment I thought he would run over our towed dingy! A bit rude IMO. Anyway, all this 'announcing' a normal passage seems over the top, it also is confusing since unless they announce their size I don't know if they're 100' or 30'. The only place I'd like an announcment is the Pender Cut (especially at low tide!)

As a power boater I recognize in places like Dodd the sail boats are limited to about 6-7 knots, thats what they can do so we just match their speed and follow them through.

We still really liked Ganges. I agree Ganges marina docks were a bit hammered and you often end up running your lines through a 4" wooden bull rail... but honestly we didn't mind this if you're only staying a night or two, we felt the town more than made up for the mediocre docks.
Plus they gave us a side-tie, so we had plenty of room to lower our dinghy off the side with the davit crane and were able to motor around the whole bay, or just motor over to the tree house cafe for breakfast... it will be great when Salt Spring reopens as well.....

Last edited:
The only time I've had to turn around entering Dodd was encountering a log boom, otherwise for just normal traffic if everyone gets in line and behaves themselves it is fine. Actually the only 'problem' I ever had there was a large power cruiser who seemed unwilling to slow and get in line. For a moment I thought he would run over our towed dingy! A bit rude IMO. Anyway, all this 'announcing' a normal passage seems over the top, it also is confusing since unless they announce their size I don't know if they're 100' or 30'. The only place I'd like an announcment is the Pender Cut (especially at low tide!)

As a power boater I recognize in places like Dodd the sail boats are limited to about 6-7 knots, thats what they can do so we just match their speed and follow them through.

I cruise at 7 knots although when I go through Dodd I like to throttle up to about 8 knots to help be able to handle the swirling currents in the narrows. A slow boat with a deep draft will behave much differently than a faster boat with a shallower keel. Your twin Tolly and my single North Pacific will be affected much differently.

Then there are the crazy folks like my Dad that sailed North through Dodd flying his spinnaker.

I think the others picked up a lot of highlights. One more spot to consider is Cabbage Island Marine Park, in the sheltered area between Cabbage and Tumbo Islands, both off the SE Coast of Saturna. This would make a great last night before heading back to the US. Mooring buoys, nice sandy beach, walks in the arbutus trees and great views across the Straight to Mt. Baker.

Without a doubt, the nicest spot in the Gulf Islands. Probably uncomfortable in strong winds though.

Other nice spots are James Bay and Annette Inlet, Prevost Island. Some ferry wake in James Bay so we put down our paravanes.

Don't know what happened since the new owner moved across the highway( in the 90's?).
Never a favorite place of mine. I use All-Bay, Harbour Road or Jensens at Thunderbird Marina in Tseum Hbr.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom