Hard to get solar panel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeoKa

Guru
Vessel Name
Ironsides
Vessel Make
54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
I was reading about SunPower solar panels. They considered one of the best. However, individuals cannot buy it. It is available only through installers. Since these are one of the best producer panels, when limited space on the boat is a concern, it would be nice to have.
Has anyone figured out how to go around the installer requirement?
I know the company is in Australia, so it is a double challenge for US sailors.

I was reading about SunPower solar panels. They considered one of the best. .

Says who and compared to what?
I am Australian and had never heard of them.

I've got 6 Sunpower 345W panels. They have delivered above rated wattage on occasions, even flat mounted. They are very good. My local marina electrician had no difficulty in sourcing them.

In tests they have one of the highest, if not the highest, conversion efficiency. From memory around 23%. Of course its a moving target, there is slow improvement in that number and mine are a few years old now.

Yes Sunpower panels offer high efficiency 23% vs the more typical 18%. They are hard to get and the cost per watt is, at least for individual small orders, almost double what others cost.

So unless you need the efficiency to pack more watts in a small surface area, I would go with others.

David

Leo, if you can't get Sun Power panels, Platt Electric in the Seattle area has many different brands at good prices. I bought my LG panels from Platt.

Leo, if you can't get Sun Power panels, Platt Electric in the Seattle area has many different brands at good prices. I bought my LG panels from Platt.

Correct, and I was looking at their site, too. Although, they list many of the panels as discontinued. I will be using them, if there is nothing better.

Nice advertisement but you said they are Australian and your link says they are ...
You want the absolute best, USA-made panels money can buy.

And this page says.....

SunPower manufacture their panels in China, Mexico and the Philippines, which further goes to show that panels manufactured in China can be on an exceedingly high quality depending on the company leading the manufacturing.
https://www.renewenergy.com.au/solar-panel-country-manufacture-indicate-quality/

And this one
. US-based SunPower makes some of the world's most efficient rooftop solar panels. However, most of those use its Maxeon cell technology, which is made at facilities in Malaysia and the Philippines and assembled at facilities in Mexico and France
https://www.solarreviews.com/blog/t...ade-rooftop-solar-panel-manufacturers-in-2019

Can't find anything saying they are Australian as such, but much saying they are US.

In that last link it says Jinko have a US factory, and Jinko are one of the larger Tier one companies around.
We have 9 up top, work a treat.

Last edited:
I stand corrected. I misread one the pages, possibly.

(Unreliable)memory says at one time the Aussie chandlery chain Whitworths was retailing Sunpower brand panels. Little is manufactured in Australia,no way we could make panels in competition with Asia. But we do have a big take up in home solar systems.
Research panels you consider. Plenty of reports of poor output, not just below nominal output but also below output reasonably expected, from unhappy buyers on ebay.

My search was aimed towards the highest efficiency panels. SunPower came out on the top. I do not know, if the data they claim is accurate, though.
I plan to build up a 1.5-2 KW solar farm on the top. The panels are large, so efficiency is important. I don't think I can squeeze more than 5-6 panels (total) onto the roof. 2-3 will be the start and will go from there.
If anyone knows very high efficiency rating panels, with proven data, please speak up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom