Hatteras 42 LRC replacement water heater help, specific to the 42 LRC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rays53hatt

I have a 42 foot Hatteras LRC that has a rusted and dead water heater. Cold water nipple broke off because of corrosion.
Does anyone have experience removing and replacing this water heater in this boat? The space between the Starboard DD and the genset is too narrow to allow the heater to pass. I can saws all the old one to pieces and remove it. However, to install a new one, it looks as though I will need to remove the frame of the Gen Set and then start removing parts of the DD until there is space for the new one to pass. The other option is installing a 110 on demand heater. I know the consciences is that this is a bad idea because of the power suck. We have done some measuring with buckets and a stopwatch in the shower, and we will use about 10 gal of hot water a day. So, the power suck isn't so pronounced for us.

Q1: Am I wrong about what it's going to take to make the space to get a new one in?

Q2: Anyone using a high efficiency 110 on demand water heater that they like?

Regarding the on-demand heater. Our water pressure provides just under a gallon of hot water a minute. So, the small units that go under a residential sink will suffice. As long as two people don't try to shower at the same time.

Assuming I do all the work.
Cost of replacement with what is comparable with original is going to be $800-$1200
Cost of a 1.4 gal per minute on demand heater is $190 - $250

I am going to post another thread with formulas and calculations about on demand vs traditional tanks for all the geeks who want to chime in.

This thread is just, anyone removed and reinstalled a water heater in a 42 LRC and anyone with a 110 water heater they like

I have only been on a 42 LRC once about 20 years ago so I am not familiar with the boat very much. How about cutting the deck above the water heater and taking it out that way?

I can saws all the old one to pieces and remove it. However, to install a new one, it looks as though I will need to remove the frame of the Gen Set and then start removing parts of the DD until there is space for the new one to pass.

Our original water heater is leaking, replacement ordered...

Different boats, of course, but we would have had a similar problem if we replaced the original with a similar sized/shaped model.

Instead, I shopped the whole market of water heaters, found one shaped differently, and I think I can get the new one in... intact... without removing engine bits or raw water intake strainers/hoses.

In our case, that meant the new one will be a horizontal tube shape, from Torrid. (Versus a cube, of sorts.) I used an inflatable fender, slightly larger, to test moving through the engine room without dismantling stuff... seems to be workable.

-Chris

Our 42LRC has the water heater in the lazarette. I am unsure whether it was installed there by the PO, but tbh, I think that was original (but 1977!)

Our genset is just infront of the starboard DD (original install for sure)

Our original water heater is leaking, replacement ordered...

Different boats, of course, but we would have had a similar problem if we replaced the original with a similar sized/shaped model.

Instead, I shopped the whole market of water heaters, found one shaped differently, and I think I can get the new one in... intact... without removing engine bits or raw water intake strainers/hoses.

In our case, that meant the new one will be a horizontal tube shape, from Torrid. (Versus a cube, of sorts.) I used an inflatable fender, slightly larger, to test moving through the engine room without dismantling stuff... seems to be workable.

-Chris
Chris, that’s a great idea. What model number did you choose? I will look into the torrid brand. Did you have to size all the old one out?

Our 42LRC has the water heater in the lazarette. I am unsure whether it was installed there by the PO, but tbh, I think that was original (but 1977!)

Our genset is just infront of the starboard DD (original install for sure)
My genset is between the two shafts, centered between the Detroits at the aft end of the engine room. The water heater is to the starboard side. so it will need to squeeze between the generator and the back end of the Detroit and the ceiling.

I have a 42 foot Hatteras LRC that has a rusted and dead water heater. Cold water nipple broke off because of corrosion.
Does anyone have experience removing and replacing this water heater in this boat? The space between the Starboard DD and the genset is too narrow to allow the heater to pass. I can saws all the old one to pieces and remove it. However, to install a new one, it looks as though I will need to remove the frame of the Gen Set and then start removing parts of the DD until there is space for the new one to pass. The other option is installing a 110 on demand heater. I know the consciences is that this is a bad idea because of the power suck. We have done some measuring with buckets and a stopwatch in the shower, and we will use about 10 gal of hot water a day. So, the power suck isn't so pronounced for us.

Q1: Am I wrong about what it's going to take to make the space to get a new one in?

Q2: Anyone using a high efficiency 110 on demand water heater that they like?

Regarding the on-demand heater. Our water pressure provides just under a gallon of hot water a minute. So, the small units that go under a residential sink will suffice. As long as two people don't try to shower at the same time.

Assuming I do all the work.
Cost of replacement with what is comparable with original is going to be $800-$1200
Cost of a 1.4 gal per minute on demand heater is $190 - $250

I am going to post another thread with formulas and calculations about on demand vs traditional tanks for all the geeks who want to chime in.

This thread is just, anyone removed and reinstalled a water heater in a 42 LRC and anyone with a 110 water heater they like
So I bought a whale 4 gallon 110 volt water heater. It's technically not instant in the winter time I have hot water in about 7 minutes in the summer how about 5 minutes.

Chris, that’s a great idea. What model number did you choose? I will look into the torrid brand. Did you have to size all the old one out?

MHS 17 IX. Hasn't arrived yet, and we haven't started removing the original Atwood 20 (actually 17.9G) yet either, still slogging along with that.

-Chris

I have had two Torrid water heaters, both gave good service. The last one, 20 gallons, has two heat exchangers: One connected to the stbd engine and the other to the hydronic heating system. The tank on my boat is forward of the stbd engine and wasn't easy to change but doable.

My genset is between the two shafts, centered between the Detroits at the aft end of the engine room. The water heater is to the starboard side. so it will need to squeeze between the generator and the back end of the Detroit and the ceiling.
Ours in on the port side behind the main engine. Odd that our hull #428 is different.
A water heater is next on my to-do list but not because it's not working but because we want it to be engine-fired through a heat exchanger. I havent started the removal yet but eyeballing it doesn't raise any red flag issues...I know I'll need to remove the fresh water pump thats under the stairs leading down to the aft stateroom between the heater and the generator and probably the raw water pump and plumbing to open up access behind the main. I did the same disassembly thing to gain (easier) assess to behind the starboard main ,too, so as to be able to remove the port 8-D battery outboard of the engine (what a huge pita). I removed vacuflush system (which I did away with) that was sitting on the shelf where you say your water heater is. I also removed the starboard raw water pump and hoses, the shift cables & bracket from the clutch and the throttle cable to give me room to get myself in there and the equipment out. Maybe that's all you need to do is pull some bolted on stuff off of the main to gain more room to slide the heater out.

Rays, I must adamantly disagree with your statement. Two people can absolutely shower at the same time & use no more water !

Back
Top Bottom