Hauling straps location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Croix du Sud

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Croix du Sud
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 36 Europa # 842
Hi all
Croix du Sud is a ´88 36 footer.
No mention on my owner’s book regarding the location of the Travelift hauling straps when putting her ashore. Just discover cracks in GRP below the windscreen at the usual fore strap location. Wonder (maybe lately) if it’s wise…
Any experience in such matter ?
Thanks for reading
Jean L

Look at the screws that attach the rub rail to the hull. On most GBs you will find 3 or 4 screws with different heads near the front and rear of the boat. These "different " screw heads are where the straps should be located.

Thanks for your reply
Just had a look at the rail ( the upper one as opposite to the lower one close to water level). Obviously, several screws are different but not symetrical port/starboard. I guess plain replacements in this case.

I believe the markers had round heads rather than flat. If you find equal ones on both sides you have found the correct spots.

look where the bulkheads are down to the hull.

Typically on a boat that size the aft strap will line up with the forward engine space bulkhead, and the forward Strap will align with the bulkhead closest to the front of the cabin.

Best those straps lift where there is a bulkhead :socool:

Typically on a boat that size the aft strap will line up with the forward engine space bulkhead, and the forward Strap will align with the bulkhead closest to the front of the cabin.

Best those straps lift where there is a bulkhead :socool:

Sometimes, but not always. On my boat, for example, the aft strap goes on the back end of the keel. That puts it a little aft of the aft engine room bulkhead and a little forward of another partial bulkhead. The forward strap can go on the forward cabin bulkhead though.

hmason is correct, GB marks the strap locations with oval head screws on the stainless rub rails.

That seems to be a rather strange way to mark them. Why not just put small signs on the boat? Mine has 4 small sighs that say lift slings on them. Much easier to understand.

That seems to be a rather strange way to mark them. Why not just put small signs on the boat? Mine has 4 small sighs that say lift slings on them. Much easier to understand.

The oval head screws will never fall off. And it's a great bit of "secret" knowledge for GB owners. After 25 years of GB ownership and many haulouts I have yet to find a travelift operator that knew this little secret. :lol:

The oval head screws will never fall off. And it's a great bit of "secret" knowledge for GB owners. After 25 years of GB ownership and many haulouts I have yet to find a travelift operator that knew this little secret. :lol:

The signs on my boat have been there for 25 years and look fine. Why would it be a great secret if lift operators don’t know about it. I would much rather the lift operators know exactly where the manufacturer wants the boat lifted instead of making a guess. Most operators are knowledgeable but why have to guess?

Thanks all !
Fore screws marks are where I located the fire strap (about the fore bulkhead). Right.
I used to locate the aft strap abaft the aft bulkhead, between the water and fuel tanks. Wrong ? The aft screws marks locate the aft strap abaft the fore face of the fuel tanks where there’s no bulkhead but 4 wooden vertical pylons. Is is really wise to comply with ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom