Helmsman 38E Build Hull 61

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hit it with polish on a microfiber, then wax. Colonite and others make a stainless polish for the job but in a pinch gelcoat polish will do.
I tried a microfiber with polish. No effect. Ended up using a light rubbing compound with a DA. By hand didn’t work with compound. After that, I polished it and waxed it. I just got back from the hardware store with $40 of SS screws, nuts, washers and silicone sealer. I wish I was in Seattle so Helmsman could do this repair.

I'd run that by Scott. If there is some faulty materials used with new suppliers, I'm sure he'd want to know about it. My guess is sooner the better.

I'd run that by Scott. If there is some faulty materials used with new suppliers, I'm sure he'd want to know about it. My guess is sooner the better.
Now that it appears no one else has this problem, I’ll contact him.

I have for sale a set of seven wood blinds to cover all of the salon windows in my H38E - the original owner installed white pleated blinds instead.

My refrigerator door opens into the wood trim of the galley. I added a clear, self sticking bumper to prevent damage. I added a similar bumper to the wood where the freezer door handle hits the cabinet. 3M makes them. Available on Amazon as a kit with sheets of several sizes. Cabinet Door Bumpers, Clear.
IMG_1818.jpeg

I’m on my way home with my new 38E. It’s warm outside. I’m running my pilot house 16k air conditioner on my inverter. Power is being supplied by my 3 solar panels providing about 450 watts and by the Cummins alternator providing about 1100 watts. The 5 house batteries remain at 100%.
In the past, I’ve run the air conditioner off the house batteries and solar. I have agm batteries and doing a great job. Imaging if I had lithium?

Attachments

• IMG_1921.jpeg
    IMG_1921.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 25
I’m on my way home with my new 38E. It’s warm outside. I’m running my pilot house 16k air conditioner on my inverter. Power is being supplied by my 3 solar panels providing about 450 watts and by the Cummins alternator providing about 1100 watts. The 5 house batteries remain at 100%.
In the past, I’ve run the air conditioner off the house batteries and solar. I have agm batteries and doing a great job. Imaging if I had lithium?
As you can see in the picture below, I replaced the GX 50 with a GX 70 and mounted it behind the helm seat. Very easy installation. It makes watch power and managing power very easy. No need to lay on the deck to see the display.

Attachments

• IMG_1901.jpeg
    IMG_1901.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 24
Very impressive - do you have a genset - or managing w/o?

Very impressive - do you have a genset - or managing w/o?
No gen set. I’m pre wired and plumbed for one. I’m experimenting. Scott provided this interlocked switch over from shore to inverter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 25
As you can see in the picture below, I replaced the GX 50 with a GX 70 and mounted it behind the helm seat. Very easy installation. It makes watch power and managing power very easy. No need to lay on the deck to see the display.
That's a great idea to mount that outside of the electrical panel. Plus it kind of looks cool!

That's a great idea to mount that outside of the electrical panel. Plus it kind of looks cool!
Yes, it makes sense with no generator. Or even if you have a generator, it’s important to see what’s going on. There is just so much useful information you can see on the GX70 display. Power management is important too. With only 30 amp service, don’t try to run your microwave if the air conditioners are running. You’ll be climbing into the lazzarette to reset the circuit breaker. But, the shore power wattage is not displayed. You need an additional power monitor module, which should be on our boats. I’m going to get one one I’m home. It’s only a few hundred $$$.

No gen set. I’m pre wired and plumbed for one. I’m experimenting. Scott provided this interlocked switch over from shore to inverter.
Do you run an electric water heater while at anchor with your set up or do you have hydronic heat/hot water?

I like the interlock switch. I assume the interlock powers SP1 which then powers SP2 with the transfer switch on the panel? That capability reduces the need for a generator when under way, allowing the alternator and solar to run the systems. If you moved to a very large lithium bank, that also would reduce the need for a generator on hot or cold nights. I think a combination of diesel heat, and and air conditioners would allow for running without one. You might need a higher amp alternator with an external regulator for recharging a big bank under way with attendant AC power usage.

Personally, I'm not a fan of a manual inverter switchover. I much prefer an inverter/charger with an internal transfer switch, so all loads you want driven from the inverter just switch over automatically when shore or generator power goes away if the inverter is in "on" mode.

Do you run an electric water heater while at anchor with your set up or do you have hydronic heat/hot water?
I’ve found that while traveling, the engine heats the water sufficiently that it’s still hot in the morning. I’ve not anchored in the same place more than one day, so I don’t know if I could hear the water off the batteries. Running the engine for a half hour would likely do the trick. .3 gallons an hour at idle isn’t bad. Would charge the batteries and heat the water for the day.

I asked the factory to not mount the toilet paper dispenser in the usual location behind your left elbow when seated. Very difficult to use. Instead, I mounted it on the sliding door. When the door is shut, the TP is by your right knee, easy to use.

Attachments

• IMG_1940.jpeg
    IMG_1940.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 21
We’re on the final 2 legs of our long trip home. Allegro has done very well. We encountered some bumpy water on the lower Delaware and outside the Jersey shore. The rest of the trip from Charleston was nice ( except Cape Fear).
To say Allegro needs a good bath is accurate.
There is no better boat at any price. You can’t beat a Helmsman!

Attachments

• IMG_1970.jpeg
    IMG_1970.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 17
Personally, I'm not a fan of a manual inverter switchover. I much prefer an inverter/charger with an internal transfer switch, so all loads you want driven from the inverter just switch over automatically when shore or generator power goes away if the inverter is in "on" mode.
All the loads on the AC bus that are connected to the Multiplus inverter do automatically switch over. My air conditioner is not directly on that bus. I have to intentionally run it off my house batteries, anltenator and solar batteries.

I’ve found that while traveling, the engine heats the water sufficiently that it’s still hot in the morning. I’ve not anchored in the same place more than one day, so I don’t know if I could hear the water off the batteries. Running the engine for a half hour would likely do the trick. .3 gallons an hour at idle isn’t bad. Would charge the batteries and heat the water for the day.
Correction to your question about running the hot water heater on anchor. The water heater is AC. It is not powered from the inverter bus. Therefore you must be on shore power or have run your engine enough to provide some very hot water.

All the loads on the AC bus that are connected to the Multiplus inverter do automatically switch over. My air conditioner is not directly on that bus. I have to intentionally run it off my house batteries, anltenator and solar batteries.
That makes more sense. So you have normal inverter loads and then a way to power the rest of the panel from the inverter if desired.

That makes more sense. So you have normal inverter loads and then a way to power the rest of the panel from the inverter if desired.
No, I can only add the air conditioner to the inverter additionally. Please look back on my posts and you will see the interlocked switch for changing the pilothouse air conditioner from shore power to inverter power.

Back
Top Bottom