Helmsman Hacks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But I have no idea how to use it for flushing short of tuning off the water pressure pump when you flush. Bet you can figure that out, tho. For that matter you can use salt water for flushing if that is the case. No problem with pumping out regularly!
Hydraulic,

The toilets on our boat has a flush only capability. I like your philosophy on the 90 to 95% use rule!

Win,

Check with Helmsman43 (forum name) on the boat beside you in your marina. He installed the max size TV you can put in the drop down cabinet. Looking at his set up might give you an idea. He may not see this since he doesn’t follow the forum that often.

Doug’s solution looks like it is about the same, but being able to directly measure hole locations, etc. might be helpful to you.

We just opted for a smaller TV that clears the outlet, and the locking mechanisms. Has worked well for us, but his operates perfectly and provides a larger picture.
Thanks

Have the TV in hand. 32inch.

Mount to arrive shortly. The one I had my eye on that Doug then recommended.

This is not a hack but a question for H38 owners about the fuel gauges for the diesel tanks. (This seemed as good a place as any to post it, and it doesn't seem to warrant a new thread.) From my calculations over numerous trips, when the gauges for the tanks both read about 1/4 full, I estimate that both are in fact closer to 1/2 full. That is, I should have roughly 200 gallons total left, if indeed the tanks hold 400 as advertised. Do others have the same experience? (I don't like to let the tanks get down too far below the 1/4 mark, which makes it difficult to confirm my suspicions.)

And Tom, three days of sun? You are not making Alaska sound all that attractive for next year
Hi Hydra.. There was always a story about it rained most of the time in Alaska. Last year, it was mostly sun and 5 years ago, it was hot. This year, cloudy but mystical. Rain but not always. The clouds wrap around the snow-covered peaks, giving us a peekaboo view. What the rain brought is the salmon heading up the rivers, which brought out the bears, and the waterfalls that were endless, and the greenest of greens. It's been 70-80s in Roche I understand with full sun. Alaska saved us with savings on sunscreen and provided us another opportunity to engineer a water catchment. Why? Because it's too beautiful to go to any civilized port. I think we saw 6 helmsman on this trip up here this year, when will we see Off Leash next to EmBark? 2025?
trawler pic combo.png

Two Truths - My experience is that the gauges are about 10% "conservative". Just yesterday, I had port tank below 1/4*, and I overfilled it with 150 gallons. Honestly, I hope I never get there. I rarely allow the fuel to get less than 50% full - especially in the winter. I had too many water condensation issues in a previous boat not keeping the tanks full. Thus, older fuel in my tanks - especially in port. So I did a successful fuel transfer underway where I moved old fuel I had in port to starboard via returning the starboard tank. I didn't want to run both tanks down to near empty to get rid of older fuel. The volume is at 40 gals/hr. Not something you should do unless you stay on top of it. Fill port side and will now run the starboard down over time.

Water, water everywhere but..
Does someone have a way to catch rain on the helmsman?

We've been out for 13 days, hoping another week, and were down to 1/4 tank in fresh water. It's amazing the amount of fresh rainwater pours out of the gutter and into the drink on a fine Alaskan day..
The question is, has anyone captured the rain from the SS rectangular spouts and directed it to a container? Use that water to do initial rinses on plates, or flushing heads, or ?? Save the boat fresh water for drinking, showers, coffee.. I'm a bit thirsty :)
Another thing that I have done to save water is to put a bucket in the back cockpit half full with seawater. Dirty dishes get tossed in the bucket and left to soak. When I'm ready to do dishes, a quick scrub and then the rinsed dishes are taken to the galley for a quick clean with soap. Essentially, very similar to the old raw water faucets that we used to have on our sailboats for initial rinses.

The nice thing is that you don't have to wait for rain and it keeps the sink drains cleaner.

Two Truths - My experience is that the gauges are about 10% "conservative". Just yesterday, I had port tank below 1/4*, and I overfilled it with 150 gallons. Honestly, I hope I never get there. I rarely allow the fuel to get less than 50% full - especially in the winter. I had too many water condensation issues in a previous boat not keeping the tanks full. Thus, older fuel in my tanks - especially in port. So I did a successful fuel transfer underway where I moved old fuel I had in port to starboard via returning the starboard tank. I didn't want to run both tanks down to near empty to get rid of older fuel. The volume is at 40 gals/hr. Not something you should do unless you stay on top of it. Fill port side and will now run the starboard down over time.
Thanks Tom--this is helpful. About older fuel accumulating in the tanks: I assume the feed is from the bottom of the tank, and getting knocked around a bit by waves helps to mix old and new fuel, so I hadn't given this much thought.
I also hadn't considered transferring fuel between tanks via the fuel return, and it is good to know that the volume is 40 galls/hr, which is WAY above what I would have expected.

The hacks are all over the place today! 1) For dishes and water saving, our previous boats had itty bitty water tanks and we always did a pre-wash on the swim step. My last two sailing trips in the tropics--same, with lots of attention from fish. Key was to get all of the saltwater off the utensils or anything that would rust. 2) I too have run into the fuel gauge problem, including a messy overfilling based on my assumption of how much space I had. The advice I got here was to watch the gauges while filling. They are very accurate when nearly full. At least mine are. It would be great to have sight gauges on these tanks so we could make a more accurate estimation of total fuel. 3) Finally, Tom, I hope to see you in Alaska in 2025 come rain or shine, with the assumption of a whole lot of the former. Our boats were built for this kind of cruising. I am cutting way back, leaving time for extended cruising. I described it to a colleague as "an asymptotic decay curve of responsibilities that matches the asymptotic decay curve of my capabilities." Translation: go before they ask you to. Probably a motto for many parts of life.

Jeff

Thanks Tom--this is helpful. About older fuel accumulating in the tanks: I assume the feed is from the bottom of the tank, and getting knocked around a bit by waves helps to mix old and new fuel, so I hadn't given this much thought.
I also hadn't considered transferring fuel between tanks via the fuel return, and it is good to know that the volume is 40 galls/hr, which is WAY above what I would have expected.
In the Op manual which came with my 38E:
"Normally, fuel will be drawn from and returned to the same tank (e.g., drawn from port and returned to port, or drawn from star board and returned to starboard). Fuel may be drawn from one tank and returned to another for other reasons, such as to compensate for a list."

Just remember : When shifting manifold valves during engine operation - remember - "open" before "closing".

Here's a yet-to-be tried hack. I post it in case anyone else needs it, tries it, and can report back.

Those who have AC installed as an option know the strainer and pump for the salon unit is in a location that isn't very accessible. Port side, near the transmission dip stick.

The pump does not self-prime well, or at all. Priming involves crawling in with tools in hand, pulling the hose off of the seacock enough to allow in a dribble of water and let out air, start the AC, and keep this all up until it runs water through and out the port side.

I read online somewhere there is an easier way. Prime it from the reverse side. Jam a water hose into the water outlet and fill the hose with water from the outbound side.

If that works, it would turn a tough job into an easy one.

I only need this after spring launch to reprime the system, and it holds the prime thereafter. As a result I have yet to have occasion to try it myself. If you try, please report back.

Here's a yet-to-be tried hack. I post it in case anyone else needs it, tries it, and can report back.

Those who have AC installed as an option know the strainer and pump for the salon unit is in a location that isn't very accessible. Port side, near the transmission dip stick.

The pump does not self-prime well, or at all. Priming involves crawling in with tools in hand, pulling the hose off of the seacock enough to allow in a dribble of water and let out air, start the AC, and keep this all up until it runs water through and out the port side.

I read online somewhere there is an easier way. Prime it from the reverse side. Jam a water hose into the water outlet and fill the hose with water from the outbound side.

If that works, it would turn a tough job into an easy one.

I only need this after spring launch to reprime the system, and it holds the prime thereafter. As a result I have yet to have occasion to try it myself. If you try, please report back.
My a/c pump is finicky on getting primed after cleaning from the strainer to the intake thru hull. I have had much better success doing the method you state. I am not a Helmsman owner but an admirer.

Reactions: FWT
For A/C priming, ideally you want a steady up-slope from thru hull to pump, nowhere to trap air. And the pump needs to be below waterline. But if it's hard to get that or you still have priming issues, then I'd place the pump below the top of the strainer. Let the water flow up into the strainer, then down to the pump. Air should collect in the strainer in that situation, so if you lose prime, you just loosen the top of the strainer to let the air out and it should re-prime.

Reactions: FWT
The salon air conditioner on hull 3 is just to starboard right behind the forward engine room bulkhead. Very accessible. Why would they have moved it?

The salon air conditioner on hull 3 is just to starboard right behind the forward engine room bulkhead. Very accessible. Why would they have moved it?
My stateroom AC thru hull is in the same place your salon AC is. My salon AC is port side forward of the house bank, making it a little difficult to reach. To prime the salon AC, I loosen the hose on the outbound side of the pump and start the AC and when water starts leaking out, re-tighten the hose. The state room AC primes itself.

Last edited:
Man, sloppy reading on my part. That's where our pumps are too, but our batteries are (for now) in the lazarette instead of aft of the main engine. The salon pump primes without incident every year, but the stateroom pump requires some coaxing.

Back
Top Bottom