Help! Installing a new toilet system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lghawk

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
48ft Trawler
Hi Everyone,

I am hoping I can get some help here as I cannot get my head around the new toilet system for my boat.

When I purchased the boat I acquired a TMC 99907 Electric Toilet. It has never been installed. I assume, from what I have read, this toilet has a motor on it and this is the macerator? I am not too sure.

What I am trying to work out is the "setup" for the install so that I get this right. Has anyone ever installed a toilet system before?

I want to install this and have it drain into a holding tank. I have a large compartment under deck where I can install a tank. Then how does this work with the "pump out" when I need to pump it at a marina? Again, I know this sounds green but I have never done this before!

How often do I need to pump it out? EG - I know the general answer is "before the tank is full" - but if I am not using it much, do I need to still pump it out weekly/monthly? What about the smell? And when I do go to pump it out - how exactly does this work? Do they simply put a "vacuum" into the holding tank and suck it out?

Sorry for all the silly questions but I am just trying to wrap my head about this!

Any help would be awesome.

Cheers,

Lyndon.

You need Peggie Hall`s "How to Get Rid of Boat Odors". In Australia you can/could order it from Amazon and Booktopia. Peggie appears on TF as "The Headmistress", the book will tell you all you need to know and more, and Peggie has been known to answer questions from the puzzled.
https://www.amazon.com.au/Get-Boat-Odors-Peggie-Hall/dp/1892399156

Sucking out the tank contents is like a vacuum. Most boats also have a "pump overboard" ability, a Y valve in the "out" line enables you to select which, and if it`s going overboard via a skin fitting when offshore, you need a macerator pump in the overboard line.
Do a search of the TMC unit, Whitworths sell them,there will be info on their site.
Non permeable hoses should be used, but the book will cover all that.
Btw, where was your boat built? The bow has an "Asian fishing boat" look to it.

The key to keeping smells at bay is oxygen flow into the holding tank. There are 2 kinds of bacteria, aerobic, good, and anerobic, bad. Aerobic bacteria grows in oxygen. So have a good vent, preferably 2 vents one on each side. No vent filters, they cause smells due to air flow blockage. Use high quality hose, Raritan Sani Flex is very good and very flexible.

Not familiar with that head so I won’t comment on it.

Good luck.

Thanks Bruce! I will order a book right away! Thanks also for the info... I did search Whitworths and they sell the unit - but they dont really have much info on it. And trying to work out the "whole system" is where I am getting stuck :) I understand the TMC unit can probably simply "pump out" using its built in motor straight overboard... but its the entire operation with holding tank etc where I am getting stuck! Ill continue reading :)

Mate the trawler was built in NSW (not sure where) and worked out of Forster for over 50 years. She has a very "Asian" look to the bow... but definitely a NSW breed :)

The key to keeping smells at bay is oxygen flow into the holding tank. There are 2 kinds of bacteria, aerobic, good, and anerobic, bad. Aerobic bacteria grows in oxygen. So have a good vent, preferably 2 vents one on each side. No vent filters, they cause smells due to air flow blockage. Use high quality hose, Raritan Sani Flex is very good and very flexible.

Not familiar with that head so I won’t comment on it.

Good luck.

Cheers for the info! Question - if it is vented ourboard (out the side of the hull...) wouldnt there be a smell when at anchor???

Thanks Bruce! I will order a book right away! Thanks also for the info... I did search Whitworths and they sell the unit - but they dont really have much info on it. And trying to work out the "whole system" is where I am getting stuck :) I understand the TMC unit can probably simply "pump out" using its built in motor straight overboard... but its the entire operation with holding tank etc where I am getting stuck! Ill continue reading :)

Mate the trawler was built in NSW (not sure where) and worked out of Forster for over 50 years. She has a very "Asian" look to the bow... but definitely a NSW breed :)
Thanks. The pump on the toilet should get the contents of the bowl either to the tank or direct overboard, via another Y valve between toilet and tank. After it gets to the tank, it`s either sucked out to a pumpout facility or pumped out overboard. Holding tanks are satanic and troublesome imo, who wants a sewerage system on a boat, but we must. Relax until you get the book. TMC products tend to be cheaper than other brand equivalent, but you`ve got one, it makes sense to fit it. I don`t think their pumps tolerate being run dry, unlike some Jabsco, so if you fit a pump downstream to empty the tank overboard a Jabsco might be safer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom