Hi from CT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STEAKhouse

Afternoon! New to Trawler Forum. Got out of big boating 2yrs ago as teenagers lost interest and college tuition came calling. I live along CT shoreline. In 2-3 yrs, I envision a future of mostly coastal cruising - Block Island, Shelter Island, Newport, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard. Maine, Annapolis and the Great Loop are distant goals on the bucket list. Looking forward to gaining more perspective on trawler life and the different boat styles to choose from.

Welcome aboard.

We no longer have a cruising boat but several years ago we kept ours at a mooring in Essex. Tough to keep the birds from crapping everywhere. A few years later after seeing everything within a days cruise from Essex, we moved her to East Greenwich, R I and explored Naranganset Bay, BlockIsland, etc.

So I am quite familiar with your area. There is lots to explore.

David

Thank you all! David M - curious as to what type of boat you had while cruising southern NE waters? Also, what forum subgroup would you recommend to learn more about the different trawler styles that boaters use for their journeys? Thank you

Steakhouse:

When we kept our boat in Ct and Ri, it was a Mainship Pilot 34. The lack of a flybridge was actually an advantage in the cool NE. But if my cruising territory was in the south during the summer, I would definitely want a flybridge.

FWIW, the MS Pilot 34 was great for cruising on the hook 3-4 days at a time, but the fridge was too small for a full week.

I wouldn’t focus on one TF subgroup. Interesting threads get posted on TF almost anywhere, so I follow them all.

David

Welcome aboard from another long time CT resident who spent 30+ years boating out of Mystic. It's a great area to use as home base.
Sold the big boat in 2020, live in Florida now.
Happy cruising.

Welcome back to boating and TF :)

Afternoon! New to Trawler Forum. Got out of big boating 2yrs ago as teenagers lost interest and college tuition came calling. I live along CT shoreline. In 2-3 yrs, I envision a future of mostly coastal cruising - Block Island, Shelter Island, Newport, Nantucket, Martha’s Vineyard. Maine, Annapolis and the Great Loop are distant goals on the bucket list. Looking forward to gaining more perspective on trawler life and the different boat styles to choose from.

Your planned cruising area are also my home waters. Many places to go and explore in a relatively small area.

Be sure to check out the Newport Boat Show in September.

Welcome. I spent so much time sailing and swimming in the CT River out of Chester I'm surprised my fingers aren't still pruney and waterlogged. Funny, I sailed my little open cockpit sailboat all over the river and across LI Sound, until I left for college -- thank you Lord that you never let me get swept out to Liverpool. Then I went back years later when we bought our current boat out of Newport and suddenly Hamburg Cove was way too shallow for a big honkin' boat. Great cruising area.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom