Hive Mind, I need you!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If better access to the boat is needed, and it has a cockpit, you can do what I did and have a door cut into the side of the cockpit. I was able to take my fairly tottery 90 year old Mom for a 10 day cruise. I would pull up the fenders and pull the boat tight against the dock. It was a piece of cake! A good boatyard can do the job. CSR is Seattle did mine

Look for any Taiwan Trawler with the footage, teak and power combination that makes you smile. At your budget you will find plenty of them.

pete

I looked at Willards quite a bit, but ultimately they had a drawback that sent me in another direction. Getting on and off a Willard at the dock is easy enough. But we don't marina-to-marina cruise. I couldn't quite see an easy way to get from boat to dinghy when at anchor and dinghy exploration is a big part of why we cruise. Dingy storage (and deploying) on a Willard seemed awkward at best. Despite all the good things about the design, when thinking about normal usage (especially with declining mobility), Willards fell short.

I went with a boat with a swim step, transom door, and Weaver style davits for the dinghy. I pay for that flat transom in steep following seas, so I do my best to avoid them. So far, getting on and off the boat quick and easy has been the better design.

Here's a Californian 34 LRC that might whet your whistle.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1984/californian-34-lrc-3709507/

The interior is mahogany (not maple as listed) and there's an abundance of exterior teak that you don't want. The later models built by Carver or Wellcraft has less teak and mahogany.

I value its 2 staterooms and dry head in a 34. Also, a great 360 view from either helm.

Last edited:
We love our Transpac Eagle 32. Great for day trips and entertaining (added swim platform gets a lot of use on Lake Michigan), and we've spent weekends aboard. Hoping to do week-long trips next summer and, a few years from now, the Great Loop.

I just sold my 2006 Nordic 32. Great safe boat that is as well built as you'll find. I felt very safe in all conditions. I had a bow thruster and found it very easy to maneuver and dock. I sold it because of necessary surgery.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG-3699Gboat.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG-3699Gboat.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 21
Hi Greg-
I solo's a GB32 on the Loop a few years back when I was in my early 60's. Great boat, but the exterior teak was hard for me to keep up with. You might take a look at the Camano Troll as they are a good boat and a bit more maintenance friendly. Well within your price range.

I have an 88 GB36 with twins. Absolutely love her. Can spin her on a dime. Not too much teak, but enough to give her a little class.

I'm 53, 5'10 270 lb and can get around both motors to service them.

What about a Ranger Tugs R-29 or R-31?

Might meet all you qualifications.
Newer, less work.
10' beam
Bow and stern thrusters
diesel
door to get out the side (narrow walk way).
Lots of electronics to make life easy (autopilot, windlass, gen/ac, heat)
Trailer home.
Real bed/beds

An observation; narrow walkways on both sides of the saloon.
It would be nice if the build would give the option of shifting the saloon flush to the port side and make the stbd walkway usable.

Hi Greg-
I solo's a GB32 on the Loop a few years back when I was in my early 60's. Great boat, but the exterior teak was hard for me to keep up with. You might take a look at the Camano Troll as they are a good boat and a bit more maintenance friendly. Well within your price range.

I am chuckling, because that is how this all started. My slip mate at the marina is in a troll (a beautifully kept one at that). I think it is a bit small for us though. My wife keeps saying "size matters". Not sure what she is getting at...

I think a GB 32 would be great but for the exterior teak! I may have to just suck it up and deal with the teak. On the other hand... there are none for sale at the moment in the PNW (except wooden ones which really terrify me!)

We love our Transpac Eagle 32. Great for day trips and entertaining (added swim platform gets a lot of use on Lake Michigan), and we've spent weekends aboard. Hoping to do week-long trips next summer and, a few years from now, the Great Loop.

They look great - Unicorns though. 36 made I think? Never for sale up here!

I have an 88 GB36 with twins. Absolutely love her. Can spin her on a dime. Not too much teak, but enough to give her a little class.

I'm 53, 5'10 270 lb and can get around both motors to service them.

Gonna open my mind to these! Thanks!!!!!

Boat search

You will buy what catches your eye.

Personally, aside from the virus, I'd count on the economy tanking and there will be a lot more boats on the market at distressed prices, if for no other reason than a glut of boats in the marketplace.

Those who purchased on the upmarket will have to unload and quickly if they lose jobs or other factors.

Use the time to see what you like then wait.

A boat, just like a house, with a long time on the market, the sellers will be more inclined to negotiate.

Good luck.

Might meet all you qualifications.
Newer, less work.
10' beam
Bow and stern thrusters
diesel
door to get out the side (narrow walk way).
Lots of electronics to make life easy (autopilot, windlass, gen/ac, heat)
Trailer home.
Real bed/beds

I will take a look - I have been steering away from the rangers so far, they seem lightly built for our conditions, but I am going to consider them. We have a boating friend in one who absolutely loves it!

I would love one. Your looks nice. Probably not for sale though! Even if the $$ was not an issue.

Greg, I think I have spent about $100K on my AT34 but, it is mine, mine all mine, except for the part the finance company owns. Every time I talk about paying it off, my CPA says, "Dont do it." That is my only deduction. So long as the various govts consider my boat as a 2nd home, I can write off the interest.

I just sold my 2006 Nordic 32. Great safe boat that is as well built as you'll find. I felt very safe in all conditions. I had a bow thruster and found it very easy to maneuver and dock. I sold it because of necessary surgery.

Missed another one! I hope your surgery goes well and you are back on the water soon!

An observation; narrow walkways on both sides of the saloon.
It would be nice if the build would give the option of shifting the saloon flush to the port side and make the stbd walkway usable.

Really no walkways at all on the 32 - It is a noted downside. Would love a 37, but they are even more rare / more expensive!

You will buy what catches your eye.

Personally, aside from the virus, I'd count on the economy tanking and there will be a lot more boats on the market at distressed prices, if for no other reason than a glut of boats in the marketplace.

Those who purchased on the upmarket will have to unload and quickly if they lose jobs or other factors.

Use the time to see what you like then wait.

A boat, just like a house, with a long time on the market, the sellers will be more inclined to negotiate.

Good luck.

Thanks! Patience was never one of my strong suits, but I am working on it. I should probably sell now and keep hunting!

Greg, I think I have spent about $100K on my AT34 but, it is mine, mine all mine, except for the part the finance company owns. Every time I talk about paying it off, my CPA says, "Dont do it." That is my only deduction. So long as the various govts consider my boat as a 2nd home, I can write off the interest.

Retired CPA here... I always used to say, never let the tax tail wag the economic dog. Run an actual calculation to see if this makes sense given the lousy returns on the income portion of your portfolio... YMMV, not giving you advice here, just re-run that calculation once in a while!

Personally, I think you should give it to me :dance:

I looked at Willards quite a bit, but ultimately they had a drawback that sent me in another direction. Getting on and off a Willard at the dock is easy enough. But we don't marina-to-marina cruise. I couldn't quite see an easy way to get from boat to dinghy when at anchor and dinghy exploration is a big part of why we cruise. Dingy storage (and deploying) on a Willard seemed awkward at best. Despite all the good things about the design, when thinking about normal usage (especially with declining mobility), Willards fell short.

I went with a boat with a swim step, transom door, and Weaver style davits for the dinghy. I pay for that flat transom in steep following seas, so I do my best to avoid them. So far, getting on and off the boat quick and easy has been the better design.

Thanks Marco - good input here!

Retired CPA here... I always used to say, never let the tax tail wag the economic dog. Run an actual calculation to see if this makes sense given the lousy returns on the income portion of your portfolio... YMMV, not giving you advice here, just re-run that calculation once in a while!

Personally, I think you should give it to me :dance:

If I pay 7% on the boat loan and can make 3% in the stock market (via dividends), my boat loan is at 4%. Cant beat that with a stick. And I can write off the interest too.
Of course if I sell stock, pay the 20% capital gain tax and pay off the boat loan....
that is another option.
Folks seldom keep a boat long enough to pay off the loan.
Per GIVING the boat to you? Suuuure, in your dreams.

Last edited:
If I pay 7% on the boat loan and can make 3% in the stock market (via dividends), my boat loan is at 4%. Cant beat that with a stick. And I can write off the interest too.
Of course if I sell stock, pay the 20% capital gain tax and pay off the boat loan....
that is another option.

I don't understand your advisor. It is costing you 4% to keep a deduction.

that is another option.

Kidding about the gift of course...

Glad you are happy about the way the financing is working. I like to work a risk factor into the thinking and compare the 4% net loan to the yield on the fixed income portion of your portfolio. (Horrible these days...) But hey - this is a boat forum, not an investing forum, and it sounds like you have good council. Not to mention the fact that you have the boat I want... Who am I to be giving you financial advice!!!:angel:

Back
Top Bottom