Honda 2000 wired for 240?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
Hello,

Our 2006 Mainship Trawler has a 240v AC Shore power input by means of our 50 amp shore cable. The 240v feeds the ships AC circuit breaker panel and the left side/row of CB's are all 240 loads such as Hot Water Heater, Oven, Air Conditioning and the other side is all 120 loads.

I was wondering, in setting up our our Honda 2000 watt genny (for emergency only that has 2 ea 120 standard 120 AC outlets), can I build an adapter cable that takes the 2 120v hot lines and the neutrals/grounds to act like a 240 line feed? And as long as I manage and not overload the load, will it work?
Just thinking it might could be used at a minimum to provide basic power if/when the onboard 5k Diesel genset gets fussy.

just wondering......

Attachments

• TESTEDHONDAGENERATOR.jpg
    TESTEDHONDAGENERATOR.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 57
240 is different phases of 120 volts. The Honda only has 1 phase.

It could be done with an external transformer, but not directly from the Honda for the reason noted above.

David

I agree with comments above, but am curious about whether an internal mod might work.

I have a 230V/50 Hz eu2000 in Australia. It may be that Honda just had one design, but different wiring connections for different markets. In the attached extract from the repair manual it indicates AC output at 225V +/- 18V at item 6. Then at item 9 it refers to 120V. Perhaps a semi-permanent change of internal wiring could create what you would like?

Attachments

• Eu2000 extract.pdf
    244.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I believe the Hondas use an inverter thus to move to 240V you'd have to use a different inverter. I tried to use our 2K Honda on our boat but it didn't produce nearly the amperage needed if the boat's inverter/charger kicked in.

The Honda is built to link two of them together for 240 v

The Honda is built to link two of them together for 240 v

That is NOT correct.

Yes, there is a parallel cable setup to link two Honda's together. But it doubles the current, and therefore power output in watts. It does not change the voltage.

Last edited:
We have used a 2000 Honda on an RV that we had in emergencies when the generator was down. It would start a 15K BTU A/C. I was amazed but it did.

Peak power is 2000W (16.7A @120V) but continuous rating is only 1600W (13.3A @ 120V).

I have 2 x 2000i and the parallel cable since my 3000VA inverter/charger would cause a single Honda to go into overload. The charger is limited to 120A into the batteries, so the pair of Honda's do not need to run full throttle. With the parallel cable they both run at quite a lot lower rpm and are much quieter. They are almost, but not quite "you can't hear them" regarding noise, as folks will often say.

As I'm in Australia mine came setup for 240V/50Hz. But of course current is half that of the 120V versions noted above.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom