How do I find a Group 31 battery with removeable cell caps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick F

Guru
Vessel Name
Callisto
Vessel Make
1974 Grand Banks 42 Classic, Hull 433
Can anyone help?

I have an Interstate FLA G31 for starting my main engines but recently it had no charge. Difficult to troubleshoot without the ability to measure the state of charge with a hydrometer.

I searched online and it is difficult to find starting batteries with removable cell caps. My battery has a single "lid" which is reluctant to prying off. Perhaps I will force it off.

It's intentional. Resistance or load testers are the intended method.

I have one of these that seems to work well. Got it on Amazon. Cost under $30.

TOPDON AB101 Car Battery Tester 12V Car Battery Load Tester on Cranking Charging Systems, 100-2000 CCA Automotive Alternator Analyzer for Cars/SUVs/Light Trucks with Flooded AGM Gel Types

There are very few flooded lead acid Group 31 that claim to be deep cycle and have removable filler caps. I used a pair of Renogy G31 AGM batteries in my RV. Works great and they are less than $200 each on Amazon.

David

Can anyone help?

I have an Interstate FLA G31 for starting my main engines but recently it had no charge. Difficult to troubleshoot without the ability to measure the state of charge with a hydrometer.

I searched online and it is difficult to find starting batteries with removable cell caps. My battery has a single "lid" which is reluctant to prying off. Perhaps I will force it off.

Since it is only a Grp31, pull it & take to your nearest auto parts store for free testing.
East Penn/Deka makes a series of heavy duty FLA starting batteries in Grp31 list price $200 - I use the 1231 with 1000 CCA sold by NAPA. They are low maintenance batteries designed to be used in heavy duty construction equipment but you can unscrew the caps if you peel the label off. Starting use primarily (since they are only 75Ah.)

Since it is only a Grp31, pull it & take to your nearest auto parts store for free testing.
East Penn/Deka makes a series of heavy duty FLA starting batteries in Grp31 list price $200 - I use the 1231 with 1000 CCA sold by NAPA. They are low maintenance batteries designed to be used in heavy duty construction equipment but you can unscrew the caps if you peel the label off. Starting use primarily (since they are only 75Ah.)

I have 2 of those batteries and they are excellent.

Ken

I have 2 of those batteries and they are excellent.

Ken
I agree. I had a pair of these (Alliance made by East Penn) no maint GP31s in my motorhome and they were 10 years old when they tested at 50% of CCA and I replaced them with the NAPA branded version.
They have a very good reputation in starting applications

Look for maintenance style not "maintenance-free" batteries. Interstate sells 31s with removable caps.

Greetings,
I've always bought my starting batteries from NAPA and my house bank(s) from Trojan or Interstate.

Group 31 batt

I've purchased numerous Exide group 31 deep cycle batteries ove the years. THYey have removeable caps. Last purchase was 6 months ago at Batteries Unlimited. Bob

Sometimes the caps are molded in to the bottom of that lid, but there's usually two lids when they do that. I've had several batteries like that. If it's a maintenance fee battery though, the lid probably won't come off without breaking it and there won't be individual caps underneath. Yeah, take it into an auto parts and have it tested. If it went down to dead flat it may be toast anyway.

If you don’t mind traveling to seattle, you can get g31 batteries with water saver caps from Dyno. Dyno Batteries is a manufacturer and does not sell direct but I can set you up with a distributor.

batteries with caps

DEKA has a 31 series, deep cycle battery with cell caps that are flush with the top of the battery.
Second choice is Trojan batteries. Both are rugged and give great service.
FAR better than Interstate batteries.
I have used all 3, and Interstate failed vs. Deka and Trojan.

1. I have a Viking 6/12 Volt Batter Load Tester purchased at Harbor Freight for reasonable money. It is a simple tool, but it tells the story in a hurry.

2. I had a bank of Interstate Group 31 flooded lead acid batteries, which come with an 18 month full replacement warrantee. (+/- $175 each as I recall). They lasted 18.5 months! ((I think it is my bow thruster that killed them, not starting the engine.)) My stock CAT alternator does not provide enough AMPs to run the bow thruster if the batteries are not in good condition. So, electronics started to reboot, etc. "I need a better battery bank."

The Interstate guy highly recommended the Interstate AGM Group 31 as a replacement. Dual Purpose. (3x $399 each! Ouch!) But, they come with a 3 year full replacement warrantee. "There is no comparison between the AGM and the old wet cells. The AGMs should go a lot longer than 3 years too." I drank the cool aid because I really trust this manufacturer and have only heard good things about their hassle-free replacement from others on the docks.

Interstate will give you a NEW battery for one that fails within warrantee, and the "clock" starts over again for a full new 3-year warrantee period if that happens. He simply explained, "The AGM is a true multi-purpose battery, superior to the flooded wet cell type." ((Plus, the AGMs have the same charging profile as the flooded wet cells, so you don't have to re-program your smart charging system.))

I'm a believer. Interstate has outlets all around the country. I've been into several different Interstate outlets around the eastern seaboard. I have not had a bad experience yet. I'd bring them your questionable Interstate battery and have a talk. They may want to keep your battery(s) for 24 hours and put them on their charging systems to see if they can come back.

FYI... The LiFePO4 batteries REALLY DO NOT LIKE starters, bow thrusters, and heavy hitting loads like those... even the windlass. SO, my findings are to have a bank of 3x Group 31 AGMs (a better lead acid technology than flooded) for those heavy loads. 3x Group 31 is much better than a single 8D and a lot easier to move around. Then use solar + LiFePO4 for everything else, i.e. "house". Our two banks are totally separate from each other.

AGM vendor: Interstate (3 year replacement)
LiFePO4 vendor: Battleborn (11 year replacement)
(Victron for the solar controllers & inverter/charger.)
BatterycablesUSA.com is fast and professional for all my cables.

Last edited:
I find the internet is great but some times it simply fails.
Call some of the battery shops and talk to a sales person.
Polar Battery had a fine reputation when I used to live in Burnaby.
Edmonds batteries also.

At least talk to them. Maybe they have suggestions that you will not find listed on the internet.

Last edited:
Thanks Clark (and all the other responders, for that matter). I, too, like Polar. They tested my previous Interstate battery last year when it failed in the same way. They were knowledgeable and helpful. However, they could not offer me a G31 with cell caps.

I ended up getting a no-cost replacement from Interstate - as also stated above, they were very hassle-free on the exchange.

Perhaps I should start the dialogue about AGM. I was not aware that they have the same charging requirements as FLA. If this is truly the case, then maybe AGM is better option for me as a starting battery.

There is still the possibility that the problem is not the battery itself. Charging system? Ghost load? Starter amps draw gone very high? Global warming?

Last edited:
Perhaps I should start the dialogue about AGM. I was not aware that they have the same charging requirements as FLA. If this is truly the case, then maybe AGM is better option for me as a starting battery.

There is still the possibility that the problem is not the battery itself. Charging system? Ghost load? Starter amps draw gone very high? Global warming?

The best way to check charging parameters, is to go to the battery manufacturers website for the correct 3 stage charger settings for the battery you are considering. FLA & AGM have different settings and many Rod Collins (Marinehowto.com) makes the point that most charger’s presets are not optimum for maintaining the longevity of a (house) battery bank. Of course,if you are only charging from an internally regulated alternator, these do not apply.

Btw Deka are made by East Penn, made in the US, sold under many brand names including Duracell, Deka, NAPA, Costco etc. Excellent bang for your buck with either FLA or AGM

Your last paragraph is prescient. The reason those Gp31 low/no maintenance batteries have either no caps or hidden, flush screw caps is because in normal automotive or heavy equipment use, they don’t need watering. So something is killing your battery. Perhaps consider an inexpensive clamp on DC multimeter. Confirm alternator output and ghost loads.Ttake apart and clean all connections especially the B-ve side. Starter amps for small engines are less than the 400A upper limit on most DC clamp meters. Larger diesels like my JD 6068’s pull 500A or so- but only for 2-3 seconds before the engine starts so the starter loads are unlikely as a root cause wouldn’t you think? Global Warming less likely as a cause than very high ER temperatures;)

Last edited:
I've been away to long. Didn't realize all the caps have disappeared.
Have you considered Golf Cart batteries in series for 12V?.

I bought 2 of them for 12V service in my trailer when in Arizona several years ago, last about 2017 and they had removeable caps.

I also used them for a bunch of years aboard my own boat.
I don't know if the golf carts would be suitable with caps. Maybe check them out.
Check for fit also in your existing boxes.

In my own boat I had occasion to use them for starting my own boat engine and they worked fine. I used them for house loads normally. Spun the old girl just fine. A Cummins V555M which pulled over 1,000A to start it rolling and then settled back to between 750-800A on my meter.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
I've been away to long. Didn't realize all the caps have disappeared.
Have you considered Golf Cart batteries in series for 12V?.
Just a thought.

Interesting idea - I am accumulating a collection of GCs as neighbours in my marina convert to Lithium !

The best way to check charging parameters, is to go to the battery manufacturers website for the correct 3 stage charger settings for the battery you are considering. FLA & AGM have different settings and many Rod Collins (Marinehowto.com) makes the point that most charger’s presets are not optimum for maintaining the longevity of a (house) battery bank. Of course,if you are only charging from an internally regulated alternator, these do not apply.

Btw Deka are made by East Penn, made in the US, sold under many brand names including Duracell, Deka, NAPA, Costco etc. Excellent bang for your buck with either FLA or AGM

Your last paragraph is prescient. The reason those Gp31 low/no maintenance batteries have either no caps or hidden, flush screw caps is because in normal automotive or heavy equipment use, they don’t need watering. So something is killing your battery. Perhaps consider an inexpensive clamp on DC multimeter. Confirm alternator output and ghost loads.Ttake apart and clean all connections especially the B-ve side. Starter amps for small engines are less than the 400A upper limit on most DC clamp meters. Larger diesels like my JD 6068’s pull 500A or so- but only for 2-3 seconds before the engine starts so the starter loads are unlikely as a root cause wouldn’t you think? Global Warming less likely as a cause than very high ER temperatures;)
I agree with this.
Recommended AGM profiles are close but not exact.
My 2 8D house and 1 8D start / thruster banks (all AGM) are finishing 10th season and still doing well. I do not have power avail for 6 mo winter storage... charge fully, disconnect and check V in spring before reconnecting as a measure of batty health. My start/thruster bank appears to be "like new" while the house bank shows some degradation.
If you do not have a shore charger and rely strictly on alt charging, I would be installing an external regulator to be able to optimize charging. I did not add external regulator as my usual time on hook / w/o power is less than a week. I figure as long as banks are topped off weekly they don't suffer... at least that's my understanding.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom