How to form a 5 year plan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toocoys

Scraping Paint
Been a while since I've posted. In August it will be three years since we've moved aboard. Recently, we've been contemplating what our next move is going to be, since I have 5 years until I retire. More and more frequently, my spouse has been stating that living aboard throughout the Caribbean is looking more and more tempting.

This has struck my curiosity, since it's something I never considered we'd be doing. I was fully expecting to be a coastal dweller until we moved back to land. I'd like to start researching things, but I'm not sure where to start.

Firstly, even though we own our boat outright, the fact is that twin 454's will cost a lot in fuel. However, because we own her outright, we might be able to save up the money for fuel costs to travel east down the ICW, and cross over to Bimini. What's it like between islands there? She's not a blue water boat, or a long range cruiser, but could we do it?

Secondly, there will be no trans-oceanic passages for us, my spouse wont do it. So it's going to have to be the ICW, to Bimini, and then on to island hopping from there. What are some of the best books to learn about this route?

And thirdly, but most importantly, what books or resources can I turn to to learn more about the requirements for living aboard throughout the Caribbean? Things like their national requirements, documentation requirements, passports and all the things we don't need being coastal dwellers?

I've clearly got a long road of research ahead of me. Thanks in advance!

The issue with gas will be range and overall cost of fuel burn. That boat is not the boat to do what you're proposing IMHO.

Water is a commodity on many islands in the Caribbean. Solar and a Watermaker would be a must for me.

There is a group on Facebook called Bahamas Cruising and Sailing. If you're on Facebook I would recommend joining that forum. Many of the people there are doing this right now, or have done it so they have the answers you're looking for. Are there better boats to do it on, sure, worse boats, definitely. Can it be done - absolutely. Get some insight and advice from people who have lived it - and go for it.

Your boat is very suitable for ICW trips. It is also suitable for some Bahamas limited cruising.

I think you will find it limited in duration stays unless at marina facilities, but everyone is different so with some research and trying it if you think it will work....you will find out if it might be a first trip of many or your last at least on that boat.

What's your food storage capacity and tankage for fresh water and holding tank? On my 34, I have 75 Gal water tank plus I carry another ~30 Gal drinking water and holding is 40 Gal. I can live comfortably on the hook solo for 2 weeks without pumpout or adding water...and that includes a daily shower. With 2 fridges, the food can last 3-4 weeks while solo.

I would think a watermaker and a well designed solar panel system would be a MUST for long term island living. I'd also consider adding a Pur-a-San or similar sanitation system to eliminate (no pun intended) pumpouts. Since you're living aboard, have you tried to live without shore power, water hose and pumpout for an extended period to test your boat's duration?

What's your food storage capacity and tankage for fresh water and holding tank? On my 34, I have 75 Gal water tank plus I carry another ~30 Gal drinking water and holding is 40 Gal. I can live comfortably on the hook solo for 2 weeks without pumpout or adding water...and that includes a daily shower. With 2 fridges, the food can last 3-4 weeks while solo.

I would think a watermaker and a well designed solar panel system would be a MUST for long term island living. I'd also consider adding a Pur-a-San or similar sanitation system to eliminate (no pun intended) pumpouts. Since you're living aboard, have you tried to live without shore power, water hose and pumpout for an extended period to test your boat's duration?

We've got about 300g of fresh water tanks, and we've got 33g of holding tanks. We can go two weeks without a pumpout. Food capacity is almost unlimited. There's four setees, an entire space under the master bed, and the entire v-berth we could use if needed. We also have an ice maker that makes 23lbs a day, as well as the fridge/freezer inside.

Until recently, like three weeks ago, we haven't gone without shore power. We just installed a 7.5kw generator. In January we installed a battery bank that can be charged by shore power, generator, or the alternators and designed it with solar in mind so that it can be expanded as needed.

We're hoping to do a few shake down cruises over the next few weeks, and do a few weekends on the hook next month or so. I'm hoping to take it east or west down the ICW for an extended vacation next year.

Last edited:
With a well-sized solar power system, the generator can get relegated to backup/standby use as needed for luxuries like AC or maybe electric cooking.

Silence is golden.

Back
Top Bottom