Shakespeare seawatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulga

Guru
Vessel Name
DD
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Sundeck 40'
There is a Shakespeare Seawatch on the rooftop of the flybridge. It seems to be a TV antenna I think is wired to the TV in the salon. I didn't find a breaker for this antenna.

Has this antenna become obsolete? so I'm thinking to remove it, disconnect the wires to have a platform ready for the starlink gen 3 dish.

IMG20240704204446.jpg

IMG20240704204403.jpg

Generally TV antennas don't require power, so no circuit breaker. Sometimes they will have an amplifier to boost signal. Usually that doesn't merit its own breaker. If your boat has a sound system (radio and tape or disc player), it my use the antenna as well. Not saying whether you should or shouldn't remove it, just understand what it may impact. I removed mine 10 years ago as I didn't care about local coverage in the places I cruised.

Ted

Generally TV antennas don't require power, so no circuit breaker. Sometimes they will have an amplifier to boost signal. Usually that doesn't merit its own breaker. If your boat has a sound system (radio and tape or disc player), it my use the antenna as well. Not saying whether you should or shouldn't remove it, just understand what it may impact. I removed mine 10 years ago as I didn't care about local coverage in the places I cruised.

Ted

Could this antenna also provide signal to other devices like vhf radios?

There are 2 vhf radio stations but 7 pole antennas on the top. What do these pole antennas do?

IMG_20240706_122317.jpg

Probably, by the numbers:

1 VHF
2 GPS
3 hard to tell need a close up of the base above the mount

4 looks like an old Loran
5 GPS
6 VHF
7 not sure, any name on this one?

If you have an AIS, one of the VHF antennas could be for that (broadcasting antenna).

GPS antennas can also be for satellite reception such as weather. Also, if you have an AIS it will have its own GPS antenna (different from the broadcasting antenna).

3 and 7 could also be AM radio or CB radio (Citizens Band).

Ted

Ted

The devices on the top are wired inside the steel tubes. The two wires in this photo are the seawatch and a rearview cam (in operational). I don't think I can make any use of these wires. Did you remove these wires together with the hardware?

IMG20240706121015.jpg

Here is a snapshot from inside the flybridge right under the seawatch. I pried open the plate of an access portal
IMG20240706124417.jpg

"Orphan wires"

IMO, it's in your best interest to remove orphan wires whenever practical. It's also a good idea to put in a pull line (braided nylon about the size of kite string) whenever removing the first orphan so that you can pull a new cord in the future.

You can often tell the newest cords by how clean they are. Old orphans are usually grungy. Find the location at the upper and lower helms where the cord end is abandoned.

The next part will take a helper. Pick an abandoned cord and note the size, color, and any writing on the cord. See if you can find a likely candidate either at the antenna or your access port. Have the helper hold the cord while you pull to see if it will move. If so, attach a pull string and remove the old cord as you put in the pull string. If you're sure it's no longer used, cut the plug off the end as it will make it easier to pull out.

I've worked on several boats from the 80s where more than half the the wires were orphans under the helms. Even more amazing was how many live DC power cords were laying there waiting to short out.

Ted

"Orphan wires"

IMO, it's in your best interest to remove orphan wires whenever practical. It's also a good idea to put in a pull line (braided nylon about the size of kite string) whenever removing the first orphan so that you can pull a new cord in the future.

You can often tell the newest cords by how clean they are. Old orphans are usually grungy. Find the location at the upper and lower helms where the cord end is abandoned.

The next part will take a helper. Pick an abandoned cord and note the size, color, and any writing on the cord. See if you can find a likely candidate either at the antenna or your access port. Have the helper hold the cord while you pull to see if it will move. If so, attach a pull string and remove the old cord as you put in the pull string. If you're sure it's no longer used, cut the plug off the end as it will make it easier to pull out.

I've worked on several boats from the 80s where more than half the the wires were orphans under the helms. Even more amazing was how many live DC power cords were laying there waiting to short out.

Ted
Interesting to know the wires are actually pulled in this manner.

At the first step, the wire hole was sealed with some flexible caulk/ sealant.
Should I clean this stuff completely off, or just isolate the wire from the goop?
Then how to reseal the hole properly?

IMG_20240706_153149.jpg

The Shakespeare tv antenna will have an amplifier box somewhere that needs 12vdc. The amp will be inline with the coax to the antenna. It could be tucked away almost anywhere. Mine was hidden behind a screw on wood panel. The tv antenna will give you HDTV reception of local channels. You just need to do a channel scan if you move 30 or more miles from your last scan.

Probably, by the numbers:

1 VHF
2 GPS
3 hard to tell need a close up of the base above the mount

4 looks like an old Loran
5 GPS
6 VHF
7 not sure, any name on this one?

If you have an AIS, one of the VHF antennas could be for that (broadcasting antenna).

GPS antennas can also be for satellite reception such as weather. Also, if you have an AIS it will have its own GPS antenna (different from the broadcasting antenna).

3 and 7 could also be AM radio or CB radio (Citizens Band).

Ted

The base of antenna 1, 4 and 5 are the same

IMG20240706204220.jpg

The base of 3 is different from the above

IMG20240706204240.jpg

Antenna 7 -

IMG20240706213511.jpg

The black cable goes inside the upper helm station, but then I could not see it further. I guess it goes down via the "wire cabinet" to the lower helm station and connects to some device there. There is a "wifi magnum" module at the dinette having a similar thickness black cable so guess is this antenna connects to the wifi magnum. I have seen the user manual of the magnum but still don't know what it does.

IMG20240706213344.jpg

IMG20240706213703.jpg

IMG_20240706_230600.jpg

The Shakespeare tv antenna will have an amplifier box somewhere that needs 12vdc. The amp will be inline with the coax to the antenna. It could be tucked away almost anywhere. Mine was hidden behind a screw on wood panel. The tv antenna will give you HDTV reception of local channels. You just need to do a channel scan if you move 30 or more miles from your last scan.

Are these the antenna boosters. I just tried searching local air channels but got nothing. Cannot decide if there is no longer local wireless TV broadcast, or the antenna doesn't work

IMG20240706225036.jpg

At the first step, the wire hole was sealed with some flexible caulk/ sealant.
Should I clean this stuff completely off, or just isolate the wire from the goop?
Then how to reseal the hole properly?

View attachment 156290
I would remove the sealant and the wires that are no longer used. After determining if you need access for mounting the Starlink antenna, I would probably cover the hole with 1/4" white Starboard (Kingboard), sealant, and four stainless steel screws through the tube.

Ted

The base of antenna 1, 4 and 5 are the same

View attachment 156291

The base of 3 is different from the above

View attachment 156292

Antenna 7 -

View attachment 156293

The black cable goes inside the upper helm station, but then I could not see it further. I guess it goes down via the "wire cabinet" to the lower helm station and connects to some device there. There is a "wifi magnum" module at the dinette having a similar thickness black cable so guess is this antenna connects to the wifi magnum. I have seen the user manual of the magnum but still don't know what it does.

View attachment 156294
View attachment 156295
View attachment 156296
Antenna 7 could be a wifi amplifier, used in marinas to boost wifi signal reception. If you install Starlink, you probably won't be using the wifi amplifier.

Hard to know what antenna 3 was for, without tracing the wire to the other end.

Ted

In post 9 I see the antenna cables coming out of the aluminum tubing and climbing up to the antenna. The hole is sealed with a blob of butyl tape.
When ever you install cables outside, try to ensure you put a drip loop in the cable before it enters the boat. Then, the rain or wash water can drip off instead of running down the cable and into the boat.
In post 11 (I think) you show some Shakespeare devices. I would think they were antenna gain or signal boosters of some sort, but hard to say if they’re useful until you see what they hook to.

In post 9 I see the antenna cables coming out of the aluminum tubing and climbing up to the antenna. The hole is sealed with a blob of butyl tape.
When ever you install cables outside, try to ensure you put a drip loop in the cable before it ente
818T8R5EIRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
rs the boat. Then, the rain or wash water can drip off instead of running down the cable and into the boat.
In post 11 (I think) you show some Shakespeare devices. I would think they were antenna gain or signal boosters of some sort, but hard to say if they’re useful until you see what they hook to.

What butyl seal tape is usually used for that?

I have some general purpose tape -

818T8R5EIRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Some ppl have mentioned the arbo br sealant, see this post
IMG_20240707_103618.jpg

Are these the antenna boosters. I just tried searching local air channels but got nothing. Cannot decide if there is no longer local wireless TV broadcast, or the antenna doesn't work

View attachment 156297
Yes they sure look like tv antenna amplifiers. That antenna won’t work without one powered up and turned on. Not sure why there are two. They’re pretty simple. Install between the tv and antenna and add 12vdc to the red and black power leads.
Question: do you have a shore cable tv jack? If so there also may be an A/B switch in line to choose between shore cable and the antenna. PO’s install crap without a guide for the new owners all the time. If you want to keep the local hdtv you’re going to have to hand over hand trace the cable or cut it all out and start over. Not difficult but it helps to have a helper.
Also those amps have red leds on the front. I can’t read the label but I bet the red led needs to be on before the antenna will work at all.

Last edited:
That general purpose tape will work fine, as long as you do it in conjunction with a drip loop. Just tear off a short section and roll it into a little worm, then pack it around the cable at the hole. Work some sealant into the hole if possible.

Yes they sure look like tv antenna amplifiers. That antenna won’t work without one powered up and turned on. Not sure why there are two. They’re pretty simple. Install between the tv and antenna and add 12vdc to the red and black power leads.
Question: do you have a shore cable tv jack? If so there also may be an A/B switch in line to choose between shore cable and the antenna. PO’s install crap without a guide for the new owners all the time. If you want to keep the local hdtv you’re going to have to hand over hand trace the cable or cut it all out and start over. Not difficult but it helps to have a helper.
Also those amps have red leds on the front. I can’t read the label but I bet the red led needs to be on before the antenna will work at all.

There is push button to select b/t ANT (pressed, led on) and AUX. Is this how to turn on the boosters? What does aux mean?

IMG20240707152421.jpg

With both buttons pressed, I was able to get signals. the picture is quite clear. Thanks a lot. I need to find another way to mount the starlink dish.

IMG20240707152259.jpg

I didn't see a cable TV jack on the wall.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom