How to ID owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PMF1984

Guru
Vessel Name
Wanderer
Vessel Make
Pilgrim 40
I got hit a couple of days ago while tied to a dock. Damage is enough to require an accident report. All I have on the boat that hit me is name and hail. (Also that it was a white sloop about 46 feet long)

So I assume documented vessel.

Any way to find out more?

Coast Guard should be able to help. In years past, we could enter the name of the boat and get the documented owner, address, number, etc. Us commoners do not have that info at our fingertips now.

I got hit a couple of days ago while tied to a dock. Damage is enough to require an accident report. All I have on the boat that hit me is name and hail. (Also that it was a white sloop about 46 feet long)

They hit you and left?
Did you hail them?
Did you record any and all witnesses to the accident at that time?
Did you report it to the dockmaster?
Does the dock have security cameras that may have the event recorded?

Call the USCG and have any of the above that are applicable handy for that call.

Did you (or somebody) not see registration numbers near the bow? Is that why you assume the vessel was documented?

Anyway, try these links, search by name...

https://cgmix.uscg.mil/PSIX/PSIXSearch.aspx

https://www.marinetitle.com/vessel-documentation/database-search-lookup.aspx

Then call (Edit:) your state reporting authority.

-Chris

Last edited:
Don't call the USCG, it's usually the state police or Dept of Natural Resources (or similar) that will investigate/enforce.

They will notify the USCG if necessary or direct you if they don't have the jurisdiction.

https://www.uscgboating.org/recreational-boaters/accident-reporting.php

Federal law requires the operator or owner of a recreational vessel to file a boating accident report with the State reporting authority if the recreational vessel is involved in an accident that results in any of the following:

A person dies
A person is injured and requires medical treatment beyond first aid
A person disappears from the vessel under circumstances that indicate death or injury
Damage to vessels and other property totals $2,000 (lower amounts in some states and territories).
The boat is destroyed.
Report Timelines:

Within 48 hours if a person, dies within 24 hours, is injured and requires medical treatment beyond first aid, or disappears from the vessel under circumstances that indicate death or injury.
Within 10 days of the occurrence or death if earlier reporting is not required

Last edited:
Have you contacted your insurance company yet? They probably have a process to find out whose boat it is.

How to ID vessel

What a bad experience to go through! Makes a prior string about noisy halyards seem pretty tame!

I have often had luck simply googling the name you got, using, in this case "s/v_______" (sailing vessel) or "m/v_____" ( motor vessel ). In most cases you will come up with links to a number of ways boaters often stay in touch on all the different social media, even if you don't come up with an official state or coast guard link.

Good luck, hope you track the guy down and he does the right thing.

PNK

Lots of good suggestions above, but the OP hasn't been back since his first and only post over two weeks ago . . . . .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom