Hull performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ralsy

I have been looking at different hull designs of displacement and semi displacement cruisers and was wondering which hull shape category this pictured hull shape would fit??

Attachments

• 20200614_153014.jpg
    20200614_153014.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 20200614_153106.jpg
    20200614_153106.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 350
I would consider that semi displacement as it has hard chines. Generally, I think of full displacement boats as having softer chines and a rounding where the hull transitions to the transom. These generally make the hull easier and more efficient to push through the water.

Ted

To me it looks like the bottom is rounded right up to the waterline at the transom.

If true and there is no part of the transom immersed at rest...that would signal a full displacement to me....or a boat on the "tween" part of the graph.

Hard chines has nothing to do w FD/SD.
We’ll need to see better pics and pics of the stern. Bow indicates little if anything.
Black hulls don't show much shape.

Thanks Ralsy,
OK we’ll work w what we have.
When at rest how much (percentage wise) of the transom is under the water?

Last edited:
The cutaway leading to the transom clearly indicates the hull as full displacement.
As mentioned in post#4, the hard chine has nothing to do with it’s category.
The pics don’t give much detail, but it seems strange that the propeller driveshaft is at a steep angle far to the stern, indicating that the motor is not located deep in the belly, but higher towards the stern.
Maybe this yacht has been altered to improve economy of operation?
It’s forward lines do look like they would/did lead to a planing bottom.

Hard to say from the picture but I am pretty sure it is steel and the chine is just there for ease of construction. The prop looks like a wing engine and the main prop may be missing. Based on that I am saying displacement no matter how big an engine you have.

Not a Real Ship, maybe a Smaller Cape Horn?

I see more in the picture today.
Stabilizers, something that looks like some kind of get-home propulsion.
But most importantly the hull seems to turn up to what appears to be all the way up to the WL. That would make this guy a full displacement hull.
The stern looks to be quite small. More a feature of a sailboat that a trawler or passagemaker.
So lacking better pics this is a FD hull.

And I agree Paul it’s probably steel and I’m sure the prop is missing.

Last edited:
I strongly lean toward full-displacement

Back
Top Bottom