Hull Shield's Ultrasonic Anti-Fouling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

man7sell

Vessel Name
BONGO
Vessel Make
Sundowner 30
Anyone have any experience with these [FONT=&quot]Hull Shield's Ultrasonic Anti-Fouling systems?[/FONT]

Followed the discussion linked above and lots of scientific data on the industrial use of ultrasonic testing for defect identification.
What I could not find was any study or analysis of the possibility of increased delamination due to the continuous application of ultrasonic vibration. Just curious :confused:

Here is a video of my expereience https://youtu.be/9Syf3YqY7QU

Thanks for taking the time to develop this and your candid assessment that the results were "indeterminate." Looks like you dive your own boat so have a good observation vantage point.

I have really wanted to like these products. I called Hull Shield a couple years ago after the BoatTest.com video review. The challenge that keeps me from getting over the line with these is the reviews, like yours, are always anecdotal. What would be impressive to me is if they put their system on one hull of a catamaran and compare to the other non-protected hull. I even offered my friends Power Cat in Florida ICW as a test platform.

I believe it's Hull Shield that is now an OEM equipment option on new Aquilla Power Cats so a perfect opportunity to do a side by side test. I haven't looked hard, but have seen nothing. Tells me either they haven't done one because they're concerned about the outcome, or they've done one and the outcome was not what they'd hoped for.

I'll remain on the sidelines until there is more than anecdotal evidence. In the meantime, I hope you find value in your installation. Your expectations halving hull cleanings is reasonable to me. Challenge is proving it out over time to overcome variables of season and paint condition. Which is why I await controlled testing vs anecdotal testimonials.

Thanks again for your video.

Peter

Peter, only time will tell. Hopefully when I dive the hull in another 2-3 months I’ll have good news to report.

What would be impressive to me is if they put their system on one hull of a catamaran and compare to the other non-protected hull.

There's a reason why you have never seen the manufacturers do a true side-by-side comparison.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom