Humor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What happens if these guys go boating?
image-20221216194157-9.png

The herd getting culled through natural selection.

Ted

Wondered about a New Zealand origin for the photo
image-20221216194157-9.png

1. Driving on the left and 2. use of "bro" addressing each other.
I tried identifying the car make which might have helped. NZ gets a lot of "grey imports" of low km used cars from Japan, so have a lot of cars resembling cars retailed new, but not quite, being Japanese domestic versions of cars Japan exports new.
Doesn`t really matter..

Santa-Crashing-At-Daingean.jpg

There is a clever Australia Post advert of a deflating inflatable Santa whacked by a wind generator blade, but it hasn`t made it to U Tube or anywhere else I can find.

Last edited:
20221221_150536.jpg

So I'm wondering what was the thought process behind using duct tape as the adhesive of choice for attaching Christmas tree lights to their car.

Ted

So I'm wondering what was the thought process behind using duct tape as the adhesive of choice for attaching Christmas tree lights to their car.
Well, it's a Ford, so it's not like that'd lower the value any more than it already is.

I can only imagine the clinking noise of all those little lights smacking the paint once it's over 40mph or so.

Think the driver ever drove drunk?

The license plate seems borderline racist. WOG used to mean "western oriental gentleman", it was not a phrase of praise. The "IH" preceding could add to the offense.

The license plate seems borderline racist. WOG used to mean "western oriental gentleman", it was not a phrase of praise. The "IH" preceding could add to the offense.

I'm pretty sure you're mistaken. The license plate is a vanity plate for the University of Florida football team (Florida Gators [alligators]). Pretty sure the G is for the Gators.

BTW, a bit or trivia. Gatorade was invented in a Florida state university lab to replenish the carbohydrates that the school's student-athletes burned. Hence the name Gator Aid.

Ted

BTW, a bit or trivia. Gatorade was invented in a Florida state university lab to replenish the carbohydrates that the school's student-athletes burned. Hence the name Gator Aid.Ted

Ted, I heard it was to replace the electrolytes and salts that the body lost while sweating?!?:confused:

Of course! Everything is racist today as per one very far side of the fence. Every one is offended by everything. Geez.

Last edited:
Of course! Everything is racist today as per one very far side of the fence. Every one is offended by everything. Geez.

Hi Cargile...

Have you inside/outside photos and stories to share of your Cargile Cutter? That boat has always interested the heck out of me. I've read some background on it and think it is basically inspirational regarding a useable small cruiser design.

Thanks, Art :speed boat:

WOG? Never heard that one in 56 years. I had to Google it.

Not sure if one has to try hard to not offend someone, or if one has to try hard to be offended.

First time I heard the term Wog was aboard a US Navy ship during a Line-Crossing ceremony while crossing the equator. It observes a mariner's transformation from slimy Pollywog or Wog, a seaman who hasn't crossed the equator, to trusty Shellback, also called a Son or Daughter of Neptune. It was a way for sailors to be tested for their seaworthiness. No one is really sure when or how the Line Crossing Ceremony, "Order of Neptune", came about. The ritual dates back at least 400 years in Western seafaring.

We steamed a longer route to cross the equator at the International Date Line which satisfied two rituals, the Order of Neptune and the Order of the Golden Dragon. That way, those of us who were initiated became the "rarer" Golden Shellbacks. Much better bragging rights with that one. Looking back, it was fun, although not so much at the time.

Maybe, Thought it was wet ass p :angel:

I stand corrected, according to Wikipedia at least!

WOP: In Neapolitan and other Southern Italo-Romance varieties, guappo is pronounced roughly as wahp-po.[5][6] As word-final vowels in Southern Italian varieties are often realised as /ə/, guappo would often sound closer to wahpp to anglophones. Guappo historically refers to a type of flashy, boisterous, swaggering, dandy-like criminal in the Naples area. The word eventually became associated with members of the Camorra and has often been used in the Naples area as a friendly or humorous term of address among men.[7] The word likely transformed into the slur "wop" following the arrival of poor Italian immigrants into the United States. Southern Italian immigrant males would often refer to one another as guappo in a jocular or playful manner; as these Italian immigrants often worked as manual laborers in the United States, their native-born American employers and fellow laborers took notice of the Italians' playful term of address and eventually began deploying it as a derogatory term for all Italians and Southern Europeans, along with the term Dago.[6] The term guappo was especially used by older Italian immigrant males to refer to the younger Italian male immigrants arriving in America.[8][5]

False etymologies
One false etymology or backronym of wop is that it is an acronym for "without passport" or "without papers", implying that Italian immigrants entered the U.S. as undocumented or illegal immigrants.[9][10][11] The term has nothing to do with immigration documents, as these were not required by U.S. immigration officers until 1924,[12] after the slur had already come into use in the United States.[10]

Another backronym is that wop stands for "working on pavement," based on a stereotype that Italian immigrants and Italian-American men typically do manual labor such as road building.[13][14] Turning acronyms into words did not become common practice until after World War II, accelerating along with the growth of the US space program and the Cold War. The first use of wop significantly predates that period.[9

NY in 1950's/60's

"Wop" was a generally irreverent tag-line put on mafia-looking types of clean shaven Italian guys who were often wearing expensive looking dress cloths for no good reason; with greasy, slicked and combed straight back dark hair... swaggering where ever they went! Sometimes driving fancy big cars with sexy young gals at their side. Usually they either were or they were just trying hard to look "well to do"...

Italian looking young boys with slicked back greasy hair style, but wearing "stove pipe" black pants and a pack of Camel [or Lucky Strike] non filter cigarettes rolled up into their white, short sleeve undershirt sleeves were called "Dirty Wops" or Greasers!

Statements were plentiful...Such as: "Aw, he's just another Wop." Dressed like that and with your hair all slicked back you look just like a Wop. Don't be such a greaser, wash your hair and put on a real shirt over your dirty white undershirt!

That was NY reality... back when!! :dance:

Last edited:
Don't be such a greaser, wash your hair and put on a real shirt over your dirty white undershirt!

Don't you mean "wife-beater"? Thank God we've retired that term too!

Did you have it "blacked out" as in censored as not up to community standards? I don't see a legible license plate.

Did you have it "blacked out" as in censored as not up to community standards? I don't see a legible license plate.

See post 2615. I'd be surprised if TF bans it since nobody is really sure if it means anything negative. You can always come up with words to match letters such as Delta airlines: Doesn't Ever Leave The Airport and also Delaying Everyone's Life Through Atlanta. Just takes a little creativity.

Back
Top Bottom