Hydraulic steering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NoFxdAdrs

I have a question about hydraulic steering.
I have a 10 meter steel cabin cruiser that has 2 steering stations. The pilothouse wheel needs 4.5 turns lock to lock, but the flybridge wheel only needs 1.5.
I've had a mechanic look at it, no leaks, and he says everything is ok. However, I can't believe there would be that kind of difference in the different wheels.
Any suggestions and/or opinions on why my pilothouse wheel is so loose (to me)?

I can think of two possible explanations. First, you have two different helm pumps. Helm pumps are sized by the volume of fluid they displace with one turn of the wheel.

Second possibility is a variation of the first - one or both of your helm pumps is adjustable (Capilano pumps have a black knob on the front that changes the number of turns lock-to-lock).

If you had a knowledgeable mechanic take a look, he'd probably know to look for an adjustable helm pump so likely you have two different pumps. Sometimes boatyards just use what they have on hand and simply didn't know the pumps were different.

Good luck.

Peter

What Weebles said

Most if not all hydraulic steering manufacturers make helm pumps that look alike, but pump different volumes of fluid, which makes each helm have different # turns

This is a Capilano Helm, the knob adjusts # turns

capilano.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom