Hydrolic fluid leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulga

Guru
Vessel Name
DD
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Sundeck 40'
I saw a trickle of pink fluid from the helm in the flybridge. It happened on the 3rd day of trip from Virginia to NJ, when we had to constantly move the helm to correct our course (no auto pilot). The leakage was a trickle and we made it to the destination without a hydrolic problem.

Question is now how to do diagnosis and stop the leak. I read an earlier thread but have no clue where to start and where those things are located

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s32/sudden-steering-fluid-leak-53238.html

Your leak is most probably worn seals around the steering wheel shaft as it goes into the pump. These need to be replaced. Look up your specific pump and you will find kits to replace the seals. Since you may need to drain the fluid from the system you may want to check the seals on the lower helm and the steering cylinder at the same time.

Your leak is most probably worn seals around the steering wheel shaft as it goes into the pump. These need to be replaced. Look up your specific pump and you will find kits to replace the seals. Since you may need to drain the fluid from the system you may want to check the seals on the lower helm and the steering cylinder at the same time.

didn't find the manual for hydrolic steering. Is there a tutorial or video on where to open up and how to drain and bleed later?

What parts and fluid to order? I was told the oil is seastar. But seastar hydrolic has more than one type

Back
Top Bottom