I made a big mistake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diverrob

Vessel Name
Sounder
Vessel Make
Mainship 34T
Ok so I believe I have made a big error which may cost me a new house bank. I was trying to cycle my house bank down to 10.5v to calibrate my Balmar SG200 monitor. Well I did it once and recharged to 100%. I then went to drain down a second time however it slipped my mind and accidentally drained the bank to 4.2v ??? I went down to the boat, turned on the charger and let it do it’s thing (it took a charge right away). Today after about 18-20hrs of charging I checked the specific gravity and it was crap, well in the low range on my tester, but the bank is still accepting a charge. I have 6 X Trojan 225Ah 6v batteries for a total of 675Ah house bank, the batteries are just less than 2 years old now. My question is have I messed up so much I need to buy a new set of batteries or will they come back to life? Thanks for your input

Rob

Keep charging. You may need to do a bunch of equalizing too. Just keep an eye on the battery temps and pause if they get too high. And be sure the electrolyte level doesn't get too low.

What he said. ^^^^^

However, I have never heard of trying to kill a battery bank to calibrate a monitor. Always have programmed the banks capacity into the monitor..... Am I missing something here?

Yea this is a “smart” battery monitor and will calculate the health of the batteries once calibrated correctly.

Yea this is a “smart” battery monitor and will calculate the health of the batteries once calibrated correctly.

HI Diverrob. This thread is one of many on this forum dealing with the Balmar SG200, and battery monitoring in general. And I've found, from reading EXTENSIVELY on this topic, that one needs to be very careful in both terminology AND process when doing a DIY installation. What you were apparently trying to do has nothing to do with the installation and operation of a Balmar SG200. And everything to do with battery homicide.

The Balmar SG200 is an algorithmically-controlled meter that attempts to not only duplicate the older volts-amps-state of charge coulomb counter functions, but add the holy grail for most of us-how healthy (SOH) are my batteries? Balmar attempts this magic via it's algorithms that measure the instantaneous voltage and current in any battery system, storing that information, and then inferring the SOH from there. Not exactly blue smoke and mirrors, but obviously Balmar proprietary information.

And one of the tenants of the SG200 is that it is "self-calibrating" IF YOU LEAVE THE BATTERIES ALONE. And, exercise them repeatedly to give the algorithms something to work with. And often (depending on your usage pattern) months before the actual SOH matches the number on the meter. If ever. YMMV, buyer beware, all that drivel.

Now that you've attempted battery homicide via inattention, only time will tell if you're due another trip to your battery vendor. And hopefully you've learned that loading your batteries to deep discharge states is not such a good idea. So in answer to your question, run the boat on DC overnight at the dock to get a feel for your actual SOH. Monitor water levels like a hawk, battery temperature during recharge, voltages, currents, all that electrical cha cha that is time consuming and difficult to get correct, certainly without lab-quality test equipment ala Rod Collins at Compass Marine (https://balmar.net/rodd-collins-with-compass-marine-reviews-sg200-testing/.

Anecdotally, my wife inadvertently committed battery harikari one morning via a 110VAC hair dryer powered via the inverter when on the hook. Killed 'em deader than a doornail. I was a bit green at the time, and I was not happy to learn that deep discharge of flooded lead-acid batteries is not conductive to their health. Nor is letting the electrolyte level get low. So good luck with yours, and keep your fingers crossed.

Regards,

Pete

Thanks Pete, I was trying to do what the technician at Balmar said to do by cycling my batteries down to between 10-11v. If I make it through this then I will simply leave it alone and hope it will calibrate it’s self just by being used. Take care

Rob

How long between lowering and minimum voltage and the beginning of the charge cycle?

Usually a day or so does a little damage, but not most of the time. Start batteries I believe are hurt more, deep cycles a little less so.

Lots of advice on the internet on reviving dead deep cycles.

Not saying that all are going to revive well, but to me it's worth a chance. Revive them, then test them a few times but draining them to 75 percent or so and see how they recover under normal charging.

Ok so I let the batteries sit on charge for a week and they did come back but not to where I wanted them. The electrolytes were still on the low side so I took them in to a local shop for an equalization charge (my charger does not do that). Got them back today and they seem great, all cells are reading the same and the technician said the took the charge really well. Pretty happy my blunder only cost me $28 and not $1800 ��. Thanks to everyone who responded I appreciate the help and the power of the hive mind.

Rob

Ok so I let the batteries sit on charge for a week and they did come back but not to where I wanted them. The electrolytes were still on the low side so I took them in to a local shop for an equalization charge (my charger does not do that). Got them back today and they seem great, all cells are reading the same and the technician said the took the charge really well. Pretty happy my blunder only cost me $28 and not $1800 ��. Thanks to everyone who responded I appreciate the help and the power of the hive mind.

Rob

That's great news!

Back
Top Bottom