I think I want a steam cleaner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TBill36

Anyone have recommendations for a quality steam cleaner for detail cleaning of the engine and engine room.

New to me boat needs a lot of cleaning and painting of the engines. I've always been impressed with the results of steam cleaning and I want a quality unit that produces enough steam and pressure for the task.

Through internet searching, it looks like you need to spend $650 and up to get something thats more than a bathroom grout cleaner. I'd love to hear what others have experienced.

I tried it once. Within minutes I couldn't see anything and had to stop. This was a work boat with a large standup walk around engine room. I can't imagine trying it in a recreational boat's cramped engine room.

We've got a small handheld Shark that at least allows some pinpoint cleaning... IOW, a little bit at a time.

-Chris

I have used a Wagner Wallpaper remover unit. The plates can be used on hull surfaces and the hose can be pinpointed to small areas. Perfect no,but with patience it works well for deep cleaning.

Just offhand, I would say your boat is not big enough. I have a cheap, low pressure Harbor freight electric power washer I use on the bird droppings on deck, etc. There is just no way you could use it in an engine room unless you have TOTAL walk around room, like five or more feet on every side of the engine. You would drown yourself in spray and backwash and strangle yourself with the water hose, power supply or head and wand hose (which is not very flexible)

You might try a wallpaper remover or one of those wrinkly removing gadgets for clothing, they actually put out a pretty good amount of steam.

pete

I tried it once. Within minutes I couldn't see anything and had to stop. This was a work boat with a large standup walk around engine room. I can't imagine trying it in a recreational boat's cramped engine room.
I've found the best way to clean the ER is to spray down the engine with aviation grade Simple Green, then hose things down with really hot water.

I've found the best way to clean the ER is to spray down the engine with aviation grade Simple Green, then hose things down with really hot water.
Yes a cleaner then hot water works well. But then there is the challenge of what to do with the oily residue on the bilge. Cleaner and hot water or steam cleaner.

Yes a cleaner then hot water works well. But then there is the challenge of what to do with the oily residue on the bilge. Cleaner and hot water or steam cleaner.
I use a shop vac to suck it up, dump into a five gallon pail, float a pad on the top to collect any oil, and then emulsify the remaining water before disposing.

I use a small steam cleaner with Extreme Simple Green mixed into the water. It works well. I also have a shop vac running and suck up the residue while I am steaming. It keeps the mess contained and also makes it so you can see since the vapors get sucked up. There isn’t a huge volume of water to deal with either..

I use a shop vac to suck it up, dump into a five gallon pail, float a pad on the top to collect any oil, and then emulsify the remaining water before disposing.
That's similar to what I do. Start with a clean dry bilge to minimize the waste I have to deal with.

I bought a McCullough several years ago and it does a great job. The output isn’t so much as to fog me out, making it slower, but it works better than trying to scrub band rinse. It holds about a gallon of water and I can work for a couple of hours on that.
Then I take it home to use it to clean the kitchen grout.

Check with a grocery store and/or hardware store. They may have a steam cleaner to rent.

A Second for the Harbor Freight steam cleaner, compacted enough for boat . . . Larger enough for most engine room jobs and with various attachments cans get into crevices and targeted engine areas . . . Simple Green Spray + Steam, wipe and wet/dry vac (with diaper inside holding area as mentioned above) . . .

Any before and after pics?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom