Identifying hydraulic hoses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Almad

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pasha
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 50
Hello all. Having recently read good advice on carrying spare everything, but hoses in this case, I’m wondering if anyone can help me identify the fittings for the hydraulic hoses to abt Trac Stabilzers.
It’s a 220 system and I can identify the hose, but not the type of fitting, and have found out how many options there are.
I also have a John Deere 6068 sfm50 and am trying to identify the hose and fittings for the two oil lines that go from the filter. that in my case is located at the front of the engine and are approximately 1.7m long with a 20mm o/d.
The boat is located in another country, so not as simple as just removingsaid hoses and duplicating, and also think it’s possible could save some money on quality aftermarket fittings. Thx in advance.

I would probably get a hydraulic shop to help you and buy the hoses from them.

Ted

ABT stuff is a combination of JIC and ORB, but there might be some others mixed in here and there. But you will still have to identify each individual fitting for type, size, gender.

Are you planning to replace all the hoses? If so, I think it's best done on-site. Remove a handful of hoses, take them to a hydraulic/hose shop to have new ones made, then reinstall and repeat for the next batch. It's no uncommon for the fittings on hose ends to be clocked to specific angles so everything lines up when installed.

If you are looking to carry a spare or two, one approach is to carry a single long hose with fittings, then a bunch of adapters to connect it to replace various hoses. That can be an effective temporary fix.

Another approach is to carry a complete set of plugs and caps so you can cap off around any blown hose or cylinder. It will obviously disable that part of the system, but you can operate pretty with just one actuator. If the failure is something common to both actuators, then you just need to live without the system.

Also consider the pump, which can't be run dry. When a hydraulic system fails, it's pretty common for it to dump all the fluid, and many pumps don't have clutches to just disengage them, so they keep running if the engine is running. You can deal with this by capping off a leak and letting the pump just circulate fluid. Just make sure it remains cooled. Otherwise you need to remove or otherwise disengage the pump. If the pump is shaft driven, off the engine or transmission, you can remove it pretty easily, but now you have a gaping hole in the engine or gear that needs to be covered. When pumps are installed, all too often the cover is tossed, so you may need to get one. But it's good to have it in a known location, often zip tied right by the pump ready to go. And do a test fit, because you may need different size bolts too.

I have carried a length of the appropriate size hose and a selection of fittings that
are user-installable. Stabilizers operate at a fairly low pressure compared with
many hydraulic systems. Sizes up to 1/2 inch braided hose are rated at 1500 psi
and should be good for most applications. You'd need adapters to fit your gear.
https://www.mcmaster.com/products/h...braided-chemical-hose/?s=stainless+steel+hose

I have also used this hose for both engine oil and diesel fuel lines. It's great stuff.

Last edited:
So, my approach is this. My boat has a range of hose sizes in the boat.
1/4" on the davit, and the main system which runs the thrusters, windlass, and stabilizers has 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4". The longest run that i could possibly need to replace is 50' of 3/4". The main trunkline is 50'.

I carry five ten foot lengths of each size, 1/4,3/8,1/2,3/4. All with the standard size JIC fittings for the hose diameter. I carry couplers in all sizes so that I can make a 50' length of any of the diameters. I also carry

-caps and plugs for all sizes of JIC, NPT, ORB.
-reducing couplers in as broad a range as I can so in a real hose problem I can still make repairs.
-ORB to JIC adapters as these are used all over the ABT system.

I've replaced a lot of hoses on the boat and i can tell you that odds are theres probably some chaffing going on somewhere. The vast majority of hydraulic failures I'm aware of have been hose related.

It doesn't help with pump failure as TT said, but hopefully your boat has multiple hydraulic pumps.

I also carry 25 gallons of hydraulic fluid aboard the boat.

Hydraulic failure on my boat is pretty debilitating.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom