Import tax?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boulton20

Veteran Member
Because of my proximity to B.C. Canada, I have been looking on Yachtworld and Craigslist at boats. Which got me thinking, would I have to pay an import tax, if I bring a boat back to the states? Are there any other taxes one should be aware of, if buying in Canada?

If the boat you purchase was manufactured in Mexico, Canada or the US and you have proof to that matter than no import duty is assessed (NAFTA). If the boat is Chinese or from another country you will owe import duty to the US based upon its current valuation.

Thank you for the response. So a import tax only applies to a new boat? Not a used one?

Thank you for the response. So a import tax only applies to a new boat? Not a used one?
No. That is not what he is saying. Import tax is due on used boats also, so long as they were not originally manufactured in North America.

You need to take delivery/close the sale in the US to avoid Canadian sales tax.

No. That is not what he is saying. Import tax is due on used boats also, so long as they were not originally manufactured in North America.

Check with the border. They will give you whatever is their current protocal.
I know nothng about taxes when going from Canada to US. Going the other way, the Canadian rules use the same mushy words that fail to tell you whether the rules apply to used boats or cars. On Motorhomes the rules clearly state the age, as it is important to them, and over a certain age, admissibility rules change.
For cars and boats, however, according to a reasoned interpretation of the rules, a dinghy mfg in Venezuela with a motor mfg in Japan ought to have attracted 6%. then GST, then PST. I was actually asked to pay only GST at the border, with PST left to the Provincial Gov to collect on registration. Because I was importing from a NAFTA partner, the US, where duty was already paid, I was not asked to pay it again.
For a car mfg in Germany, again I expected to pay duty of 6% GST of 5% and PST of 7%. At the border I was asked to pay only GST, at insurance and safety inspection time I was asked for PST. Because the car wasn't new, and duty had been paid to a NAFTA partner upon its arrival in the US, I was not asked for Duty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom