Induction Cooktop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I installed a two burner induction cooktop last year and am thrilled…

That is a great looking installation and recycling of the princess stove. I could definitely see cooking on that.

Our boat is our home. If I want to go camping, I go camping. Then I go home and cook on a real stove. :)

An additional induction burner, there may be a problem with power. I bought 2 burners one is at home. The other MIGHT be in the boat’s storeroom. Never used them.
Remember the generator’s capacity is the limiting factor.
I not sure where folks are getting the needed electric. I have 3X4D AGM dedicated house batteries (#4 4D is for the main engine and bow thruster)
Assuming you have a 3 burner electric stove, the standard microwave Dont plan on using the oven.
That is “it” for the 6KW generator.
Assuming you have a 1800 watt inverter, you have to shut down almost everything to use it and then, only briefly.
Of course, all this goes out the window if you want to use an A/C when away from the dock.

And the solution is??????? Buy a gas stove? Ah but like most of us, we do have a gas grill. Assuming we dont try to cook a meal underway, sandwiches, cold drinks and if you are quick, reheated or cold coffee.

Ah yes, life is full of challenges SMILE

We run ours off battery and inverter - no Genset required.
And even when running, batts still show 26+v from a 24v setup, near zero voltage sag.
Well sized lifepo4 bank and 5kw inverter/charger.

had a boater come over and ask when the genny will be shut down in the evening. It occurred to me that running a genny mid morning may be less annoying to others using portable cooking apparatus. :ermm:

Experimenting. recently wired the stove/oven to inverter feed. Have been using off inverter and monitoring battery SOC. Single burner no problem. Two burner limited by size of inverter output (2000w continuous). Then the FLA batteries are aging, 860Ah. I figure another 400Ah would do the job and not go to low voltage cutoff when using stove/oven for longer periods.

Doable.

We fitted a Kenyon 2 burner induction cooktop several years ago. It runs off 110V and draws a maximum of 1750 watts. It has a load sharing system between the two burners to limit the load and we have never run into an issue when trying to cook on one and boil water for pasta on the other. Most cooking is done below half power. Our Victron Multiplus 3KVA has no problems with this load and our battery bank is sufficient to support this type of load.

had a boater come over and ask when the genny will be shut down in the evening. It occurred to me that running a genny mid morning may be less annoying to others using portable cooking apparatus. :ermm:

Experimenting. recently wired the stove/oven to inverter feed. Have been using off inverter and monitoring battery SOC. Single burner no problem. Two burner limited by size of inverter output (2000w continuous). Then the FLA batteries are aging, 860Ah. I figure another 400Ah would do the job and not go to low voltage cutoff when using stove/oven for longer periods.

Doable.
Hope you told the guy that you would be shutting down the generator when you were good and ready.

I installed a two burner induction cooktop last year and am thrilled. It is wired to our Freedom 25 2500 watt inverter with a dedicated circuit breaker and wires. Several others have converted their electric Princess ranges ditching the burners and keeping the oven. There needs to be a passive vent, so the biggest challenge was what the vent should look like….how about the name of the boat? Hmm, what font? National Marine Exhaust makes a filler, so I emailed the measurements, name of the boat and font and had it in a week. The only thing left is to create a replacement front panel so I can get rid of the disconnected control nobs.
I am about to do the same thing. What cooktop did you use? (link?)

We're looking at various induction cooktops to replace our old coil top. While there are a number of 120-volt one- or two-burner tops on the market, a 120-volt, 3-burner is a bit hard to find (lots of 240 volt).

I did find one (made by True Induction) that seems to get around the issue by having one plug for the two smaller burners and a second plug for the large burner (each requiring a 15-amp breaker).

Has anyone heard of this brand? Are there any other 3-burner 120-volt induction cooktops out there?
A buddy of mine is considering an induction cook top that is part of the countertop. His thinking is for both aesthetics and the fact that it would function as a countertop when not cooking. He showed me pictures but I forget the name. It did look very nice.

I installed a two burner induction cooktop last year and am thrilled...

I saw this last time you posted and love the look, thanks!

Which cooktop did you buy? I see you re-wired it to a new breaker. Does it take more power than the old Princess? The one benefit of that model was that it was very frugal with power.

I saw this last time you posted and love the look, thanks!

Which cooktop did you buy? I see you re-wired it to a new breaker. Does it take more power than the old Princess? The one benefit of that model was that it was very frugal with power.

To expound on PC Pete's post, here is my blog post on doing the conversion of a Princess stove top with a True Induction two burner.

We have it wired to a 15amp circuit and love the result. You cannot run both burners at full power, but that has never presented a real limitation.

https://mvsoundtrek.blogspot.com/2019/05/renewing-old-princess-stove.html

Attachments

• IMG_4563.jpg
    IMG_4563.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 36
A two burner induction stove top is one thing but what about the oven??

Both GMS and I left the oven on the original circuit. That way the oven can operate at the same time as the cooktop. I know my Admiral is happier with the setup.
And yes, we both have Scott to thank for the stainless steel.

Both GMS and I left the oven on the original circuit. That way the oven can operate at the same time as the cooktop. I know my Admiral is happier with the setup.
And yes, we both have Scott to thank for the stainless steel.

Did you cut the stove top away from the stove top>

I am remiss in not thanking everyone for their thoughts. I am in the midst of installing a water maker before launch. When I said to the Admiral maybe we want just two burners, she scoffed and rolled her eyes. To her (and lucky me), all trips and vacations are partly evaluated on the quality of the meals. We have set the inverter up to run the InstaPot through the batteries.

My plan, after reading all the replies, is as follows.

1. Leave things as they are for now. Installing water maker, solar, and a few other things will keep me busy.

2. When in the Bahamas next winter, monitor (BUT WITHOUT HER KNOWING) how many times she uses one burner, two burners, or three burners at the same time. If I let her know I was monitoring, she would skew the usage.

3. Based on the results, perhaps we'll get a two burner with an extra single, portable burner in the background.

In the meantime, if you are in the Bahamas next winter and see Losada, come over for a meal. And bring something that requires an extra burner.....

For the record, on the traditional Princess range which was installed in about a zillion boats over the years, one of the three burners is a "warmer only." You can only cook on two of them.

On my boat, now that we have the Instant Pot, those two hardly ever get used.

We've got 3 full power burners on our galley maid electric stove. I think I've used all 3 once. The way they're spaced, using all 3 only works with just the right combo of pots and pans. It's not exactly a big stove.

On my N46, the 3rd burner was less max amps of the other 2 burners.
On my current boat all burners have the same max amps. I have to be careful and watch the amp meter in the galley.

I am remiss in not thanking everyone for their thoughts. I am in the midst of installing a water maker before launch. When I said to the Admiral maybe we want just two burners, she scoffed and rolled her eyes. To her (and lucky me), all trips and vacations are partly evaluated on the quality of the meals. We have set the inverter up to run the InstaPot through the batteries.

My plan, after reading all the replies, is as follows.

1. Leave things as they are for now. Installing water maker, solar, and a few other things will keep me busy.

2. When in the Bahamas next winter, monitor (BUT WITHOUT HER KNOWING) how many times she uses one burner, two burners, or three burners at the same time. If I let her know I was monitoring, she would skew the usage.

3. Based on the results, perhaps we'll get a two burner with an extra single, portable burner in the background.

In the meantime, if you are in the Bahamas next winter and see Losada, come over for a meal. And bring something that requires an extra burner.....
You'd better hope she doesn't read this forum!!!

Breakfast - one burner for sausage or bacon, other burner eggs
3rd burner looks pretty

This is a 30 amp boat so if I use 3 burners, I have to watch the amp meter located in the galley.
Of course, if I need to use the microwave and or the oven, I really have to dance fast cycling burners and oven and microwave.
The advantage of an electric stove and oven is the heat retention, I can turn off a burner or oven, to use the microwave.
The oven and burners keeps every temp about right until the microwave is done.
Ah but if the water heater cycles ON, all bets are off. I have been known to start the main engine to heat the water, shutting off the electrical breaker after engine reaches temp.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom