Inside v fly-bridge helm stations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt Pappy

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
The Ripper II
Vessel Make
Sportsman 234 SBX
looking for some advice as to where most pilot their vessels -- inside/lower helm vs fly-bridge

understood as a weather dependent issue as well as visibility.

however, when presented a choice, wondering where most do their running from.

came across this '87 Kha Shing 36' vessel for sale and noted that the only helm station is in the fly bridge albeit with a bimini and that plastic enclosure that zips in

I imagine most of our cruising shall be in warmer climate except for possible trip up to my homeland in Michigan

many thanks for any advice

In warm weather and clear waters (where reading the bottom is possible) I like a flybridge as long as I have plenty of shade.

Otherwise after decades and decades of operating boats out in the wind and weather way too much, I loved my pilothouse trawler and the commercial boats I ran.

Some skippers only tolerate boats with picture window views which I don't feel are necessary to have "good visibility"

Our last boat only had the flybridge helm. We had a full enclosure so it was fine duting rain, etc. it was great for visibility. Also it gave a lot more usable room in the salon. I miss the visibility on our current boat since we don’t have a flybridge but my wife didn’t want the steps up and down anymore.

I still consider us new boaters, I thought I'd pilot from below most of the time, but pilot from the fly bridge 99% of the time. I do like the option to pilot from the lower helm during rain and thunderstorms. I am always looking for our our next boat and definitely prefer the dual helms when looking forward to the next boat.

I'm up on the fly whenever the weather is nice. 360 view, I can see the whole boat from up there and the engine noise is far away.

When cold and windy, I'll stay inside unless I'm docking. Any kind of close maneuvering, I want to see the whole boat.

Our first boat had upper and lower helms (Carver). I don't think I ever ran the boat from the lower, even in bad weather. That boat had a raised aft deck so I couldn't see behind me at all from inside, and I couldn't see very well over the bow either. Wasn't willing to sacrifice near-360 visibility for some shelter. The boat we have now, it has an upper help but no lower helm at all. Great visibility from the upper as usual, but on our current boat the helm is pretty well sheltered so to us it's ideal. When it gets cold and nasty we zip up all the canvas and roll down the windows. Trying to see through clear-vinyl covered with rain (even if the vinyl is new and crystal clear) just doesn't work though, so I almost never roll down the two front windshield panels. That makes for some wet, really uncomfortable runs with raindrops and spray on my glasses, but we try not to run in terrible weather anyway.

I think a lot of this depends on where and when you're boating though. Alaska, Pacific NW, or well offshore, a lower helm is probably a lot more important. I remember in our current boat we did a run out of Narragansett Bay in April with foulies on, freezing our butts off, spray dripping off my nose. Ours is a tall boat so we didn't get a lot of cold spray at the helm, but we got some. If I ran in conditions like that a lot, I'd miss not having a lower helm more often.

Thanks for all the advice

Since likely traveling warmer climates, sounds like upper helm only works

Plus and as some stated— more living space in the salon

Now I just need to talk my better half into this journey, who’s somewhat concerned about my mechanical skills but proved some worth this weekend hooking up a generator to our natural gas line!

Back
Top Bottom