Installing bow thruster, variable speed worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, just hit it for a few seconds, wait to see what happens, then hit it again. Even when using it to line up on a slip, I can’t see variable speed being useful. And when you really need it, such as turning around after backing out, you need it wide upen.

David

One possible advantage is you should be able to operate a variable speed indefinitely if using reduced power to hold against a dock. Many electric thrusters will have a thermal shut down if operated continuously. Whether it is worth the $$ is up to the buyer but I am planning to go that route.
I would love to hear from someone with significant experience with both.

I would say no to the extra $5K, and I have both types. You can use a single speed thruster in bursts and get a similar effect. I’ve yet to see a thruster so powerful that shorts bursts of full power were too much.

Not worth it, ours is always used at max for short bursts.

I really like variable speed. I think it depends on how big the thruster and your dock help. I have 170s that dont need to be ran very fast since there larger. It makes them almost silent when using. I dont have a lot of dock help so setting them on low and holding to the dock helps me with tie off. If your opting for a small thruster then it may need to be ran at full anyway negating some of value.

The variable speed is nice but don’t know if it is worth that much extra. I have a wireless remote that will run both thrusters. I can hold the boat to the dock with small bursts.

If it's Hydraulic the varible may be worth it, if dc I'd pass and just bump the joystick.

I've only had the single speed B& S thrusters and have wondered about variable speed. I can't think if a situation where it would have been a big advantage. I did add and like the wireless remote and use it frequently.

Back
Top Bottom