Insurance companies prejudice towards liveaboards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My beef is that I can lie and get a cheaper rate for the same thing. I don't like to lie. I have a liveaboard policy. I was wanting to shop around to compare prices. I was told to get a survey. I got a survey. I was told to pound sand without a look. This rubs me the wrong way. Maybe you like to be told to pound sand without a reason. I don't.
Oh... I have been on several policies through my years. And had supervisors calling back to apologize saying there was nothing they could do.

Are you complaining liveaboard policies are more expensive?

Each and every one of my liveaboard policies and fulltimer policies for RVs were higher but they were also giving more reimbursement for some categories and more coverages like liability away from the boat.

If you were getting exactly the same policy (which I severely doubt) as there is usually in LARGE letters....LIVEABOARD POLICY on the declarations page of liveaboard policies then I could see a problem. But in many years and at least 4-5 policies covering liveaboard and not.... I never saw my liveaboard policies as a ripoff, just coverage I wanted and was willing to pay for the slight difference.

Oh... I have been on several policies through my years. And had supervisors calling back to apologize saying there was nothing they could do.

Are you complaining liveaboard policies are more expensive?

Each and every one of my liveaboard policies and fulltimer policies for RVs were higher but they were also giving more reimbursement for some categories and more coverages like liability away from the boat.

If you were getting exactly the same policy (which I severely doubt) as there is usually in LARGE letters....LIVEABOARD POLICY on the declarations page of liveaboard policies then I could see a problem. But in many years and at least 4-5 policies covering liveaboard and not.... I never saw my liveaboard policies as a ripoff, just coverage I wanted and was willing to pay for the slight difference.
My complaint is in the title-"prejudice". I say I'm not a liveaboard and I get insurance. I say I'm liveaboard and they won't insure me. Same boat, same exact coverage. The "why" is what I have been asking. The "shut up and take it" attitude doesn't cut it for me. It's clear there is no answer to my question, which was only generated out of curiosity.

My complaint is in the title-"prejudice". I say I'm not a liveaboard and I get insurance. I say I'm liveaboard and they won't insure me. Same boat, same exact coverage. The "why" is what I have been asking. The "shut up and take it" attitude doesn't cut it for me. It's clear there is no answer to my question, which was only generated out of curiosity.
Well unless you know something I don't, it would NOT be the exact same coverage.

They are 2 separate policies and if the situation dictates they give you one or the other. Some insurance companies don't offer liveaboard policies so if you want one or are determined to be a liveaboard...look elsewhere.

They are out there but I admit it is one reason I decided to get out of big boating and enjoy small boat fishing. My alternative was dropping hull and just getting liability/environmental/salvage insurance.

Boating is getting tougher all around and is definitely a wealthier man's sport or just hard to get what you want or stay where you want. Life is just like that to a certain point in the RV world too.

Too many well off retirees it seems.

Last edited:
You fit the algorithm, or you don't get insurance with them. It's that simple and it's the same story I have heard hundreds of time for decades.
Agreed.
The two cases have different risk profiles, from a scoring point of view. In one you presumably have a fixed address. In the other you don't.

Have you considered the impact on your access to credit as a declared liveaboard?

There is no shortage of prejudice against liveaboards, in my experience. Even though I think of myself as a liveaboard I'm very hesitant to use the term.

I'm not riled up. Why would you say that? Are you prejudice against me too?
Well you are going on about something that's been around for awhile and seems perfectly normal to me. Not prejudiced, just always curious if someone has knowledge of something I haven't heard about.

Agreed.

The two cases have different risk profiles, from a scoring point of view. In one you presumably have a fixed address. In the other you don't.

Have you considered the impact on your access to credit as a declared liveaboard?

There is no shortage of prejudice against liveaboards, in my experience. Even though I think of myself as a liveaboard I'm very hesitant to use the term.
Yeah, there is no doubt. Sorta like those people that live in trailers...

When I was still in high school, went to a buddies friends house that just happened to be in a trailer park. Place was really nice, a double wide and bigger than my parents first house. When I found out what they cost I went home all excited and told the folks about "this great trailer park" I found.

They were quick to advise that I should reconsider. I don't even know if they ever visited a trailer park. But I do remember that discussion and it was 50 years ago.

Read the fine print. If you’re caught lying and have a claim you’re like sool.

Yeah, that too.

If anything you declared on your app or update is found to be untrue...you are denied.

Sure you can sue but they have a whole panel of lawyers on staff just ready...

Yeah, don't lie.

Just got my policy renewal. It went up 9% over last year. My rate is very low. The insurance company is aware of the fact that I put 5,000 miles on my boat in the two years I have owned it. Rates were based on driving record, what kind of cars we drive, claims history, credit rating, current debt, home ownership, lawsuits, boat type, cruising grounds and where I keep the boat.
When we start the loop we, know it will go up 50%. The cruising grounds will be far larger and no layup period.

If you lie in the proposal it`s non disclosure or worse, and your cover is at risk. I can`t imagine insurers universally have a pathological dislike of liveaboards, it`s more likely due to higher incidence of claims.
We`re not liveaboards but I like having liveaboards nearby, mainly for enhanced security.

Back
Top Bottom