Insurance for boats that are old like me. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yachts66

I'm looking at a 1983 DeFever 44 trawler. The listing agent said maybe I'd want to line up insurance before the purchase, which sounds like a subliminal message of some sort to me. Does anyone have recommendations for insurance on older boats? I'd certainly appreciate some advice. I've spent my life on, in, under, and around boats, through 65' LOA, but most were sailboats, and several were steel boats. The last glass boat I owned was back in the 80s when I discovered steel and never looked back. Unfortunately, there are not many steel trawlers about, so here I am, looking at a glass stinkpot. Oh, my! I really want to do the loop, but most sailboats are just too drafty for that. I've resolved myself to being a stink potter, something I never thought I'd do, but then I never thought I'd live this long either, so I will acclimate, I hope. My thanks in advance for your help.

That was good advice from the listing agent. Not knowing where you are it is hard to recommend a specific insurance agent. They might require a survey.

Oooops you're right, I'm in Washington state. I will have the boat surveyed before purchase, of course.
Thanks

I use Peter Ricks at Novamar. He is outstanding.206-350-5051

if you have been boating as long as the age of the vessel and have experience on several boats approaching the size of the boat with no claims you can expect to find insurance.
IMO they are insuring the owner operator more so than the boat.

Expect the insurance company to require a survey and require the deficiencies to be fixed. Older boats are more difficult to insure but it can be done.

If you don’t have luck with Novamar I use Boat Insurance Agency in Seattle. I have a 1991 Defever and they have me insured with Chubb.

I'm looking at a 1983 DeFever 44 trawler. The listing agent said maybe I'd want to line up insurance before the purchase, which sounds like a subliminal message of some sort to me. Does anyone have recommendations for insurance on older boats? I'd certainly appreciate some advice. I've spent my life on, in, under, and around boats, through 65' LOA, but most were sailboats, and several were steel boats. The last glass boat I owned was back in the 80s when I discovered steel and never looked back. Unfortunately, there are not many steel trawlers about, so here I am, looking at a glass stinkpot. Oh, my! I really want to do the loop, but most sailboats are just too drafty for that. I've resolved myself to being a stink potter, something I never thought I'd do, but then I never thought I'd live this long either, so I will acclimate, I hope. My thanks in advance for your help.
If you're still needing insurance, you may wish to check with Hagarty Marine Insurance 800-922-4050...they insure wood boats as well.

We have Defever 49 RPH & are insured by Safeco. Congratulations on your 44!

I have a 1982 President thru Boat US

Here is an update on what I've learned on this journey. The magic number regarding the age of the boat is thirty years. Boats thirty years old or older are difficult to insure. At the minimum, they will require a pristine survey with all deficiencies corrected. It is not inexpensive nor easy to insure these older boats, and I have not even broached the topic of the love of my life: steel boats. My how things have changed. In my wayward youth, I never insured my steel boats because I never felt the need. I took good care of them, and they, in turn, took good care of me. I also owned them free and clear, so lending institutions protecting their interest was not an issue. That was then.

Now, it's a different world, and I'm having to learn new skills to navigate the insurance ocean. Not a pleasant experience. The DeFever 44 had issues beyond its age, so it's no longer being considered. I've found a couple of steel trawlers in Europe, but that requires crossing the Atlantic, not an inconsequential trip nor an inexpensive one for boats with short legs, as many European boats are. I'm looking at another steel trawler I found in northern lands. I don't mind the cold, but this particular boat seems way overpriced to me, so we'll see. I may still end up with a glass boat, but it would be the first I've owned since the early 80's. I went through a category III hurricane on her, which was an experience for sure. Fortunately, neither she nor I suffered any damage, but it's quite a tale to tell for sure.

I recently purchased a 1977 California 34ldc. It is in SoCal. I had no problem getting boat insurance through Progressive. No survey. No medical exam (I’m 76). They provided $500k of liability that the Marina required, and named the Marina as additional insured.

Might want to find dockage also . I know in south Florida it tight and expensive .

Our old trawler which I just sold (sob, sob) is a 1984 Marine Trader and I have had it insured with Boat US for many years. Just got my increase (due next month) and it jumped $500 to nearly $3000/yr. Needless to say, I will not be renewing it since I am now boat-less.

I'm not a marina kinda guy. Once I have her and she's fit to go, we'll be cruising. I try to anchor off as much as possible when I am cruising. When I finish cruising, I will sell the boat. That's the plan anyways.

Regards.

I have used Red Shield for 1982 Californian purchased in 2019 and a 1986 West Bay purchased in 2023. They do require a survey and findings corrected within 60 days. They were very good with a weather damage claim this winter.

We are pleased with them, over the last 6 Years. I do believe all insurance companies now will require a survet prior to insurance. It should be done any way.

Back
Top Bottom