Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A real beauty! And I'm in the chorus calling for a darker blue hull. Or dark green.
As a great designer once said.........
There are only two colors to paint a boat, black and white, and only a fool would paint a boat black. - Nathanael G. Herreshoff.

;)

" Painted boats look good at sea. Varnished boats look good at the dock"....old saying about wood boats.

Yep, best thing we did was sand the endless degraded varnish on ours with 60 grit and slap a solid colour on.

The ones I find amusing are the ones that have varnished rails, transoms etc but you never see them because they have solar stop covers on continually.
Seen two this week. What's the point?

There are only two colors to paint a boat, black and white, and only a fool would paint a boat black. - Nathanael G. Herreshoff.
;)

I have no idea who the "great designer" is but, I get many compliments on my British Racing Green American Tug. :D

;)

I agree w Herreshoff.
To disagree w Herreshoff would be like disagreeing w God.
But some people like to be different. I resemble that but I've never painted any boat black.
To those that have black boats they look good .. at times.

Dan I saw an all white AT on the float in LaConner lately and it looked wonderful after all the usual colored AT's. But Dan my boat's 25% green re topsides. The lack of FB probably helped my opinion along. But (barff) it did have the silly "smokestack".

Last edited:
...But (barff) it did have the silly "smokestack".
My "smokestack" is in my shed. Keep it for resale, I guess, in case someone wants to cutsie Spy up if I sell. I should probably destroy it and save Spy from future embarrassment.

Last edited:
I agree w Herreshoff.
To disagree w Herreshoff would be like disagreeing w God.
But some people like to be different. I resemble that but I've never painted any boat black.
To those that have black boats they look good .. at times.

Dan I saw an all white AT on the float in LaConner lately and it looked wonderful after all the usual colored AT's. But Dan my boat's 25% green re topsides. The lack of FB probably helped my opinion along. But (barff) it did have the silly "smokestack".

The phony smoke stack is to allow head room when walking down the steps from the pilot house to the saloon.

I have this very nice green hull and 2 blue lines on the smoke stack. I think this year, I will paint the stripes green to match the hull.

I did put a whistle light on top of the stack. Blow the horn and the light goes on while the horn is sounding. Helps people to find you in the dark. SMILE

If I had excessive amounts of cash, I would paint the topsides a beige to make the boat look better, IMO.

Last edited:
If I had excessive amounts of cash, I would paint the topsides a beige to make the boat look better, IMO.

I painted all decks beige, with sand mixed in, on a previous boat and really loved it. Much better than white for not showing dirt. Plus it was different.

The only challenge was remembering to constantly mix it because the sand would settle to the bottom quickly.

I painted all decks beige, with sand mixed in, on a previous boat and really loved it. Much better than white for not showing dirt. Plus it was different.

The only challenge was remembering to constantly mix it because the sand would settle to the bottom quickly.

As the Brits say, "In for a penny, in for a pound." Decks beige with sand too.

Of course, then I would have to sell the boat to pay for the paint job too.

Of course, then I would have to sell the boat to pay for the paint job too.

My boat was steel and I painted it with enamel, not two part polyurethane or anything fancy. Yours is way too pretty for the industrial paints. How about those Rustoleum paints? There have been a couple of threads here about them.

My boat was steel and I painted it with enamel, not two part polyurethane or anything fancy. Yours is way too pretty for the industrial paints. How about those Rustoleum paints? There have been a couple of threads here about them.

For a steel boat, I have wondered about the use of Rustoleum paint. Might have to apply their primer first. Gonna be very expensive. I dont know.
The first year I took my AT to the yard, I provided them a list of paint.... Apparently they kept the list because this year, they didn't ask. SMILE

My "prime" worker discovered and recommended this yard. He drives it up with a list of things I want done and the yard completes the list, puts to boat back into the water, "All done."

Last edited:
The phony smoke stack is to allow head room when walking down the steps from the pilot house to the saloon.

I have this very nice green hull and 2 blue lines on the smoke stack. I think this year, I will paint the stripes green to match the hull.

I did put a whistle light on top of the stack. Blow the horn and the light goes on while the horn is sounding. Helps people to find you in the dark. SMILE

Hey Dan,
If the stack was for headroom it wouldn’t look like a smokestack. Unless the owners head looked like a smokestack. HaHa

Accent lines look good if done right.

You do have excessive amounts of cash. May have it all in your boat though. I lusted after a NT32 but didn’t have $100K for a boat.

Hey Spy,
Well done on the smokestack.
But your smokestack looks more like a pipe .. as it should. Most smokestacks were called “funnels” .. mostly straight tubes not raked on one side to make them look like they were going fast. When I was a small boy I went twice every year along the BC coast on a proper steamship. Probably was Canadian Steamship out of Vancouver.

Last edited:
Hey Dan,
If the stack was for headroom it wouldn’t look like a smokestack. Unless the owners head looked like a smokestack. HaHa

Accent lines look good if done right.

You do have excessive amounts of cash. May have it all in your boat though.

Nomad, now you are making fun of my funnel shaped head?

I think all ATs come with 2 blue strips on the stack.

The Great Lakes ore carries have the companies logos on the stack and when the whistle blows, the lights illuminate the company logo.

I dont have excessive amounts of cash. The mortgage company has excess amounts of cash and will lend some to me.

When I think about wooden boats, Larry Pardey comes to mind, saddly illness has ended his cruising. Larry and Lin sailed thier 29’ Serafyn over 200,000 plus blue water miles with no auxiliary engine. To me the best examples of what wooden boats and sailing are all about.

Last edited:
If you like woody's, here is a cheap Monk for you

You probably would spend the rest of your life trying to keep up with the varnish but the price is right....kinda, sorta. This 1942 Monk 50 can be had for the amazing price of $39.9K and excuse me if I sound like a yacht broker. And a woody dink comes with it. It looks very similar to another Monk woody I posted back in September but definitely a different boat.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1942/monk-50-motoryacht-3529336/?refSource=standard listing

Attachments

• Monk50.jpg
    Monk50.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 83
You probably would spend the rest of your life trying to keep up with the varnish but the price is right....kinda, sorta. This 1942 Monk 50 can be had for the amazing price of $39.9K and excuse me if I sound like a yacht broker. And a woody dink comes with it. It looks very similar to another Monk woody I posted back in September but definitely a different boat.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1942/monk-50-motoryacht-3529336/?refSource=standard listing

WAY too much varnish!!! That boat is my age, older than dirt!!
From an era where the owner would step off and the maintenance crew would step on board. Plus it has been kept in a covered boat well.

At most, a weekender.

Do not put me on the list of "Potential buyers". All I see is work.

WAY too much varnish!!! That boat is my age, older than dirt!!
From an era where the owner would step off and the maintenance crew would step on board. Plus it has been kept in a covered boat well.

At most, a weekender.

Do not put me on the list of "Potential buyers". All I see is work.

All I see is beauty!! - - - > For someone else to work on!!! lol

Our self-contained/comfortable/sea worthy, 1977, 34' Tolly Tri Cabin, planning hull, twin screw, fiberglass craft was designed by Monk Sr.; in coo-hoots with Mr. Tollefson [Mr. Tolly for short].

Monk did the hull and superstructure. Tolly did the interior as well as guiding Monk's designs. Together they designed and constructed some truly great and lasting Tollycraft pleasure boats. After Monk Sr. passed Monk Jr. stepped in to continue great Tollycraft boat designs.

Difference between the wood boat pictured and Tollycraft = Wood rots / well constructed frp stays good condition for much longer if at all tended to. When all [but a few chosen ones] wooden boats have become past tense due to age... There likely will be hundreds [maybe thousands] of mid 20th Century well built fiberglass boats still doing just fine! There will surely be Tollys afloat and used for the rest of this century and I wouldn't doubt well into the next. Tollycraft over-build extent and general build quality is simply amazing. A joy to own!!

ALL boats rot. Any implication that a Tolly is better built than this gorgeous Monk, built in 1942 and still proudly afloat, is naive.

ALL boats rot. Any implication that a Tolly is better built than this gorgeous Monk, built in 1942 and still proudly afloat, is naive.

And wooden boats are not suceptible to polyestermites either.

All I see is beauty!! - - - >

Monk did the hull and superstructure. Tolly did the interior as well as guiding Monk's designs. Together they designed and constructed some truly great and lasting Tollycraft pleasure boats. After Monk Sr. passed Monk Jr. stepped in to continue great Tollycraft boat designs.

!!

It’s no accident that Monk and Tolly designs look a lot alike.

I think the design process between those two was a lot more nuanced than Tolly just doing the interior, Monk the hull and superstructure. Not even close actually.

Tolly was a rather accomplished and prolific draftsman. He would draw a boat, and by draw I mean the entire boat, floors, bulkheads, doors, heads, floors, hull shape and all. He would then draw sight lines, to figure out if the design was practically from a yachtmans point of view. Then he would draw it again, revision after revision, refining as many times as needed. Monk would take these concept drawings and engineer them, make them work in real life. Those improvements and limitations would go back to Tolly and the revision process would proceed. Eventually, they might actually build something!

You can’t really understate Tolly’s involvement in the creation of a design and really the styles and norms that Monk evolved. Monk designed boats look like Tolly’ because it started on paper from Tolly’s conceptual design and had a dramatic impact on Monks designs for other builders as well. The two collaborated and borrowed heavily from each other. They were a powerhouse whose impacts can be seen in many designs afloat in new boats today. Many of their core themes have been wildly borrowed. The sheer number of years that each were active in the industry is really mind blowing as well.

Tolly built his first boat for himself in the 30’s after all. His and Monks designs are often taken for granted today now that they are both gone.

There was one way to address Tolly and that was simply “Tolly”. You didn’t need to call him “Mr.”, because the level of respect the man had earned and wielded was natural as breathing. I was lucky to know him in the last years of his life. He wanted to live to 100 and that’s exactly what he did. He was not much for backing down.

ghost,
I hear your well said words but I feel I can tell a Monk from a Tolly at least a mile away. Must be some difference.

Did Monk design plywood boats?
Did Tolly design planked boats?
I think Tolly did design planked boats but there’s very few it seems. Whereas the planked Monks are everywhere.

And the chine ..
Did Monk design hard chine or more likely did Tolly design soft chine.

Whatever both men were like religious deities in the pleasure boat world.

My 48 is soft chined, one of the features I adore, though most Tollycraft are hard chined. Monk engineered the soft chine on the 48 and lofted most of the hull forms that I’m aware of. While commercially Tollycrafts were not planked to my knowledge, I believe that the boat Tolly first built way back when was planked. It looked like it. He had a picture of it on his wall and in style it looked a lot like the Monk that was pictured above. He talked a lot about taking that boat to Princess Louisa inlet, one of his favorite places. Where did the inspiration for that boat come from? If I was ever told, I don’t recall it, nor am I clear how/when he first started working with Monk, but if you saw that boat on his wall I’m betting you would have called it a Monk. Tolly was pretty cognizant what he thought his market was, so maintaining a certain recognizable form was doubtful a mistake, more a calculation.

There are a dwindling few left who know the story first hand. I only wish more was truly written about both of them.

One of the last and biggest boats that came from Tollycraft was the 65, built in the 1990’s. I was shocked when I learned that he had drawn that boat many years prior, I think in the 70’s. Some of their visions had to wait for the market to catch up, decades later. Lord knows what is still sitting on a shelf or in the back of a closet somewhere, dusty and forgotten.

I’d love to see some of those concept drawings make it into somebody’s dream build some day.

ghost,
Thanks so much for sharing and I’da bet considerable money that your boat was/is hard chine. A beautiful boat indeed. We were at Nanaimo last year. Always love mooring down in the downtown harbor. A bit uptown we found a Starbucks too.
Thanks again

Reminds me somewhat of this:
Ship details

For the past 20 some years I have to walk past Lazee Gal to get to my Retreat. I have seen her with the varnish stripped several times. She gets her hull painted almost as often. Almost every summer she goes, as do I, to Desolation Sound and hangs out, treating the rest of us to her natural beauty.

ghost,
Thanks so much for sharing and I’da bet considerable money that your boat was/is hard chine. A beautiful boat indeed. We were at Nanaimo last year. Always love mooring down in the downtown harbor. A bit uptown we found a Starbucks too.
Thanks again

Eric, with zero gloating and I would not think of taking your money. :)

IMG_0174.jpg

Soft chines are like the girl from Ipanema. "When she walks, she's like a samba that swings so cool and sways so gentle."

Soft chines are like the girl from Ipanema. "When she walks, she's like a samba that swings so cool and sways so gentle."

Yea, that's all well and good until you get sea sick. LOL

Back
Top Bottom