Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm confused. You are the one who said (paraphrase) "It looks top heavy, I wouldn't trust it" when Red Head was mentioned for sale.

There was a GZ curve showing a positive righting arm from 0 to 180 degrees for a Benford Florida Bay Coaster in the attachment which you said you couldn't open, so I posted it, which seemed to confuse Art.

So I am unclear of your position with wide flat bottomed boats.

Sorry I missed the other thread. Sounded somewhat interesting (but probably really just frustrating).

A mix up of threads. My position is that a boat can look top heavy, yet can be stable, seaworthy. I even like the looks of them.

Wow - what is the length & what engine? ?

82ft so says AIS and no idea on engine

Massive ducted prop is interesting. Is that common on larger vessels like that
Common enough on work boat style of vessel
We have one.

A pic of her on the trucks ready for the 500m trip to the water

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1632169897756.jpg
    FB_IMG_1632169897756.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Posting for two reasons:

Because I've never seen a Marine Trader pilothouse version before - very handsome, if I were looking for a two stateroom boat I'd be very intrigued by her, exterior brightwork notwithstanding.

And...where the heck is "Waterproof, LA"?!? :rofl: I've been in and around Louisiana all my life on and off and never heard of this place. :thumb:

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1981-marine-trader-island-trader-ms-8031637/

Attachments

• MT pilothouse.jpg
    MT pilothouse.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Posting for two reasons:

Because I've never seen a Marine Trader pilothouse version before - very handsome, if I was looking for a two stateroom boat I'd be very intrigued by her, exterior brightwork notwithstanding.

And...where the heck is "Waterproof, LA"?!? :rofl: I've been in and around Louisiana all my life on and off and never heard of this place. :thumb:

Neat boat, like the way the front windows open. On the 46 GB we chartered, you could open the front center. I get that a lot of boats will not allow this as the primary purpose is to keep water out, but I would want it.

All I can say is wow I just took the time to watch the whole video, that is an impressive build! I'm headed to the Ft Lauderdale show in a few weeks, might take a look at it if still available. Very impressive on the video. What troubles me about steel is the type, potential electrolysis, paint, rust, etc. I have read that if you really want to cruise, hard to beat metal for safety and for repairability. That said the fiberglass 64 Outer Island on our tour had a yellow elongated smear just above the waterline. Turned out it was a fast patch where someone on a recent charter hit some ice thankfully above the waterline. At least that is what I was told. But again, may have been no issue at all for steel or aluminum. You can see it here if you click on the picture.

Attachments

• DSC_0450.jpg
    DSC_0450.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 71
Posting for two reasons:

Because I've never seen a Marine Trader pilothouse version before - very handsome, if I were looking for a two stateroom boat I'd be very intrigued by her, exterior brightwork notwithstanding.

I also posted this boat back in 2020 thinking it was a very interesting example and didn’t hear a peep.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/interesting-boats-10046-450.html#post903048

Still haven’t seen one but it was for sale on a real ad for real money on Boats.com so I guess it was real.

Attachments

• 19FD6A06-C702-4ABC-8C75-6B05A6A3471E.jpg
    19FD6A06-C702-4ABC-8C75-6B05A6A3471E.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
JW it’s unfortunate that you appear to have totally failed to understand my previous posts concerning stability. I’ve crossed oceans and weathered storms in vessels entirely dependent upon storm stability( multihulls). I never said nor implied form stability was per se detrimental to seaworthiness. Rather tried to explain the multiplicity of factors contributing to seaworthiness and the difference weight and it’s location versus form stability have on the Gz curve. Vessels aren’t defined by a single variable. Felt and continue to feel your apparent focus on one variable is misplaced.
Never the less a fixed limit of AVS is present for any vessel totally dependent upon form stability. That is 90 degrees and they will have high stability if inverted. You may want to re-examine how the righting arm is generated in the vessels you’re enamored of. Have every confidence they are not dependent upon form stability alone.
Suggest you review this before making another potentially offensive post.

Last edited:
Spend 30-50K rewiring the boat and you have a pretty good boat.

Ya think up to $50K for rewire??

No idea. I would need to get a "real" marine electrician to look it over and hear his price.

There may be a lot of unseen damage.

In some ways it is funny because his ex-wife may insist 1/2.

No idea. I would need to get a "real" marine electrician to look it over and hear his price.

There may be a lot of unseen damage.

In some ways it is funny because his ex-wife may insist 1/2.

1/2 of what?? Was mentioned the boat is being given away for free...

Someone with much marine electrical experience would maybe become very lucky!

1/2 of what?? Was mentioned the boat is being given away for free...

Someone with much marine electrical experience would maybe become very lucky!

The price listed was $1.

Ya think up to $50K for rewire??
I am currently fully rewiring mine and still far from reaching 1K. Of course I am doing it myself so labor is not part of the bill and it is a pretty simple boat, not a lot of power hungry gadgets. But still, even if marine wires are not cheap you can get a boat load for couple of hundreds or grands.

L

I've used that maneuver occasionally. Nothing that big or severe. If you know you have to depart before conditions moderate you can kedge off.

In that docking instance... was the large boat heeling to port so much simply due to wind?

Or, was she out of trim that badly due to internal weight arrangements? The heel looks exaggerated to me... in comparison to what winds would accomplish.

Good outcome to the captain's docking maneuver!

In that docking instance... was the large boat heeling to port so much simply due to wind?

Or, was she out of trim that badly due to internal weight arrangements? The heel looks exaggerated to me... in comparison to what winds would accomplish.

Good outcome to the captain's docking maneuver!

yes. The Captain controlled the bow with the anchor/bow thruster and stern with engines I would guess... Expert bit of seamanship right there.

JW it’s unfortunate that you appear to have totally failed to understand my previous posts concerning stability. I’ve crossed oceans and weathered storms in vessels entirely dependent upon storm stability( multihulls). I never said nor implied form stability was per se detrimental to seaworthiness. Rather tried to explain the multiplicity of factors contributing to seaworthiness and the difference weight and it’s location versus form stability have on the Gz curve. Vessels aren’t defined by a single variable. Felt and continue to feel your apparent focus on one variable is misplaced.
Never the less a fixed limit of AVS is present for any vessel totally dependent upon form stability. That is 90 degrees and they will have high stability if inverted. You may want to re-examine how the righting arm is generated in the vessels you’re enamored of. Have every confidence they are not dependent upon form stability alone.
Suggest you review this before making another potentially offensive post.

I understood you and agree with you that there are more than one variable with regards to stability.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom