Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just an ultra short French fishing boat, no doubt built that way to meet some silly rule.
But what an interesting way to moor while loading/unloading. No anchor, no warps, just idling in reverse. The squared off transom hard up against the wharf.

Reminds me of a shoe! But I sorta like it. And yeah probably some EU fishing regulation limiting size (LOA) of vessel, so all other dimensions have been pushed out to create volume.

Definitely an interesting way to moor.

Wylie 65 pilothouse built for Randy Repass, founder of West Marine. Cat/ketch rigged by Tom Wylie, one of the godfathers of the California sailing scene. Appropriate pick for Repass. He sailed it to Baja from Santa Cruz, the epicenter of West Coast sailing through the 1980s.

Peter View attachment 143208
So I posted "Convergence," a Wylie Cat-Ketch pilothouse as an interesting boat two days ago. This morning, a dinghy approached Weebles at anchor. The driver was well into his 70s and said he liked my boat and wanted to know more about it.

I noted his shirt had a faded monogram "Convergence" on it, the very boat I'd posted. Yes, it was Randy Repass. We chatted for a bit - he also has a Duffy 38 lobster boat style so was drawn to the massive cockpit on Weebles (he's owned it for over 25 years). He was certainly impressed by the age of Weebles (1970) and it having been built in California.

I believe he was with his son and they said the bejesus out of the boat. They've owned it for almost 20 years.

Peter

Last edited:
Just an ultra short French fishing boat, no doubt built that way to meet some silly rule.
But what an interesting way to moor while loading/unloading. No anchor, no warps, just idling in reverse. The squared off transom hard up against the wharf.

View attachment 143261View attachment 143263

Thats actually a common evolution for several classes of work boats.. Anchor handling tugs, supply boats and others will often back into a dock, quay or barge for a quick load or unload of a deck cargo, No lines out just hold it in gear astern....

Last edited:
Wylie 65 pilothouse built for Randy Repass, founder of West Marine. Cat/ketch rigged by Tom Wylie, one of the godfathers of the California sailing scene. Appropriate pick for Repass. He sailed it to Baja from Santa Cruz, the epicenter of West Coast sailing through the 1980s.

I used to take care of a Tanton 43 years ago that the non resident owner encouraged me to use and exercise. It was my first unstayed cat ketch I had sailed in my 40 years of sailing. What a great sailboat to tack up a channel though the engine access was thee most god awefull i have ever experienced.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/tanton-43/

Attachments

• 314756_d0c2e8dd248c7ab492c86582b333c2ea.jpg
    314756_d0c2e8dd248c7ab492c86582b333c2ea.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 793Render.jpg
    793Render.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 24
Since we are taking a temporary diversion, here is my sailboat, custom design and build. Unstayed rotating carbon rig, transom door for dinghy garage. 45' LOD:

25WC2kQ.jpg

View attachment 143261View attachment 143263

Seen In France in May, the dragger and the gear. Dragging is serious there.

Attachments

• LeHavre fishing.jpg
    LeHavre fishing.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 21
  • LeHavre gear.jpg
    LeHavre gear.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 22

Wish bone booms do make life easy and do allow the ability to shape the sail a bit . But without a cunningham(kicking strap) and fixed camber to the sail hard to vary shape depending upon wind speed . Seems hard to flatten , vary twist or move draft. . Done right no lazy jacks . You get turbaulance from the wishbone as well as the usual from the mast so hard to maintain adhered laminar flow. Rather see a rotating CF mast with fully battened sails and a Dutchman on a performance cruising boat.
For some a bit different here’s the best blue water RTW non traditional rig I’ve seen is on FarFarer. A wood epoxy beast of a boat done by Nigel Irons and the Covey Island folks in Lunenburg. Squarehead cat schooner and a proven RTW blue water vessel.
https://coveyisland.com/recent-projects/farfarer/

Last edited:
Drats! Smitten again......

Is that some sort of wishbone arrangement supporting the boom? How is it operated??

Not a wishbone, an inverted hydraulic vang. There is one in the strut on each side, connecting to the boom at the "crosstrees", a crossing element on the boom which keeps the struts off the sail. The hydraulic cylinders are nitrogen charged on the other side so act as the boom lift as well. The main rotates in bearings in the deck and heel.

A wishbone does provide some sail shaping through the use of the choker (which pulls the wishbone aft). But it is hard to get enough leech tension in a large roached or square head main, the angle of the wishbone has to get pretty extreme. (Or a vang line used, which puts a lot of compression on the curved wishbone arms). On my main (960 sq ft) the vangs supply 13,000 lbs of down force to control sail twist. The hydraulic panel (pump and gages) is at the helm.

A wishbone (or my vang struts) does have some turbulence and drag, but no where near as much as all the the string in a Marconi rig. You cannot use a Dutchman furling system on this type of rig - big roach, no topping lift, and the rig is flexible. A shaped mast has very little performance benefit and lots of operational downsides. I considered it, but all of the evidence suggests a round section is better on balance. Carbon has made it possible to keep the diameter pretty small fraction of the chord (about 3%).

That's a very interesting boat DDW. Must have been a fun development and build.

Long-Range LIVE ABOARD Explorer Yacht For Sale, M/Y 'Britt'

https://youtu.be/H3Xtj5oRgZQ

Now that is a cool boat, and only a 90HP engine. I love the idea of no teak, no varnish, no paint, etc. Very cool indeed. I had to do some screen captures as I did not find the link yet with sales info that is non video.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-10 at 10.38.07 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-11-10 at 10.38.07 AM.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2023-11-10 at 10.38.43 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-11-10 at 10.38.43 AM.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2023-11-10 at 10.38.57 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-11-10 at 10.38.57 AM.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 18

Attachments

• lrc-58-252285_628cf8335e7aee.jpeg
    lrc-58-252285_628cf8335e7aee.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 20
  • lrc-58-252285_628df44607510c.jpeg
    lrc-58-252285_628df44607510c.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 17
  • lrc-58-252285_628e270ee5440c.jpeg
    lrc-58-252285_628e270ee5440c.jpeg
    15 KB · Views: 9
  • lrc-58-252285_628e085b070dfc.jpeg
    lrc-58-252285_628e085b070dfc.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 24
  • lrc-58-252285_628df4b7c18f8c.jpeg
    lrc-58-252285_628df4b7c18f8c.jpeg
    13.8 KB · Views: 15
  • lrc-58-252285_628df4a72f5fec.jpeg
    lrc-58-252285_628df4a72f5fec.jpeg
    9.3 KB · Views: 14
  • lrc-58-252285_628e447a59059c.jpeg
    lrc-58-252285_628e447a59059c.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 12
  • lrc-58-252285_628e447fd8f3fc.jpeg
    lrc-58-252285_628e447fd8f3fc.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 12
My dream boat, full stop. I have been following Steve Dashew's and Dennis Harjamaa's work for years.

Been posting about Artnautica throughout my time here.
Problem with any ultralight be it multi or mono is the same as its benefit . Less displacement means less wetted surface so more easily driven. Add in greater loa to beam at waterplane ( and less half angle) and you have the most efficient boat.
Downside is less available payload before you ruin performance.
Have raced and cruised ultralights. You think a lot about what you put on the boat and where. Any additional weight (food, liquids, tools, batteries, engines, WM, spares etc.) has a much more immediate effect on gyradius, righting arm, AVS and performance.
But for the cruiser they are very appealing. That discipline requires you to spec a simple, reliable boat. Less to fix and maintain. The increase in a days work gives a much more favorable interpretation of weather windows, range, need to touch land for resupply. Basically more freedom. Even with increased berthing costs cost of ownership goes down if you’re an active cruiser.
Most boats are designed to sell in numbers. The admiral is the target to complete a sale. Many boats are designed by NAs who don’t cruise. Denis is a remarkable designer. He understands the cruising life. He and Irons draw boats that are strong, safe, and excellent performers. The 58 is a great boat but I think having only one perminant double berth is an obstacle to some. You live aboard and coastal with two but you voyage with 4 or sometimes 3. Most insurance vendors now require a minimum number of crew to do passage. At least 5-10% of the time when coastal you have at least a couple of guests. Artnautica eu will allow mjor customization. Would like to see an island double forward. Bunk berths behind in a stateroom and convertible berths in the salon. Two heads even if one can only be a half bath.
Arksen achieves something close in 65’. Artnautica 65’ also has enough room to make a good attempt at much less money compared to the high cost of the Arksen design.
Would like to see the industry go this way. Recyclable strong low maintenance Al. Easily driven hulls. No hydrocarbon use at anchor. A true BWB.

Last edited:

To my eyes, that is truly a beautiful boat.

I've always found it interesting that to me, wood boats are almost always much better looking than fiberglass. It's ironic, wood is much harder to work with, especially to form into complex and curved shapes, whereas fiberglass can be molded into almost any imaginable form.

To my admittedly curmudgeonly old eyes, it's usually wooden boats that win the beauty contests, and not common for a fiberglass boat to truly look beautiful to me.

I've always found it interesting that to me, wood boats are almost always much better looking than fiberglass. It's ironic, wood is much harder to work with, especially to form into complex and curved shapes, whereas fiberglass can be molded into almost any imaginable form.

To my admittedly curmudgeonly old eyes, it's usually wooden boats that win the beauty contests, and not common for a fiberglass boat to truly look beautiful to me.

That challenge in shaping might lead to more natural shapes, curves, etc. that are more appealing to the eye. Fiberglass boats sometimes develop an awkward, bulgy look that doesn't seem to show up in wood boats (although there are some darn good looking fiberglass boats out there).

More modern, less limiting materials and technology also means boats can be wider, taller, etc. for a given length, which often hurts their look. I've said many times that my own boat would look a lot better if the beam, height, etc. were kept the same, but it were drawn 6 feet longer.

The boat of #1340 is a beautiful thing but likely a nightmare to own and cruise. Way too much to maintain. All that bright work. Forward glass in pilot house may have issues with green water strikes. No helm chair for keeping watch. Minimal ER head room. No comment on fuel/water tanks but suspect short range. A very nice pleasant day short hop, short stay coastal seasonal boat but not a full time BWB in my view. Totally different use pattern than the LDL serious BWBs discussed above.

Last edited:
The boat of #1340 is a beautiful thing but likely a nightmare to own and cruise. Way too much to maintain. All that bright work. Forward glass in pilot house may have issues with green water strikes. No helm chair for keeping watch. Minimal ER head room. No comment on fuel/water tanks but suspect short range. A very nice pleasant day short hop, short stay coastal seasonal boat but not a full time BWB in my view. Totally different use pattern than the LDL serious BWBs discussed above.

:lol: Just like a gorgeous romantic partner in life, looks don't necessarily (or usually) correlate with practicality. The best looking ones are often the least 'practical.'

But still worthy of passionate admiration for their beauty alone!

It`s a very pretty boat exhibiting some Halvorsen design features predating its 1960 build. Built in Wollongong, a coastal city south of Sydney, it`s not a Halvo build, it has managed a coastal transit to reach Pittwater, north of Sydney. It`s a classic Pittwater/Broken Bay/Hawkesbury River cruiser operating in mostly protected waters. The Broker is very adept at good presentation, it`s no exception, but I`d say it is as described,a well kept boat with few changes of ownership suggesting it is well liked by those owners.
I like that my Integrity386 has almost zero exterior teak, but some people just love varnishing...

Sometimes it's not what you see, but where you see it. For those familiar with the AICW going through South Carolina, this is the section with the Ashepoo Coosaw cut through and Watts cut. Not the area I'd want to navigate a 9' draft cat-osaurs!

Screenshot_20231123_072730_Aqua Map Marine.jpg

20231123_072611.jpg

Ted

Attachments

• images (3).jpeg
    images (3).jpeg
    6.6 KB · Views: 150
  • download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    11 KB · Views: 154
  • download (2).jpeg
    download (2).jpeg