International 9L diesel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

39dodge

Looking at purchasing a 1993 Carver 3607 with twin international 9L engines with 800 hrs. I just can’t seem to find any information on these engines. I have searched the web but just don’t seem to find anything.
So if anyone has any experience or first hand knowledge please share.
Thanks

Welcome aboard

A quick search gave me this reply, perhaps it helps. Apparently it is (as many times) a truck engine, adapted for use in a boat:

I haven't had a vast amount of experience with them, but I used to work for an outfit that had some for a few years. Real powerhouse compared to the DT 360 (DT-360 was a better motor though since it had sleeves) The 9 liter was built for low bid, kind of like a 3208 Cat. They had some real problems with head gaskets and went through quite a few until IH changed the routing on the water pump, that ended our problems, never did blow another one. Have heard of some broken cams too but never had any problems ourselves.

If you don't abuse one too bad, it would probably last quite a while.

and

Pat:

I have been a mechanic for the local school district for 21 years and have a good working knowledge of the 9.0 liter diesel engine.these engine are known as "parent bore" engines, no sleeves. THey were very relieable engines except for some head gasket failures, IH revised the head gaskets several times which corrected the problems,the driver would shut down the engine and when they went to restart she'd dump water right in a cylinder creating a hydraulic lock,never had to plain any heads, it would just leak around the water passages,sometimes they'd blow water out of the radiator,but the changes in the revised gaskets corrected the problem. These engines are direct injection engines and use a bosch in line injection pump and bosch nozzles,they would start in temperatures down to 10 deg.without being plugged in and would give around 10 MPG on a long trip(on flat ground as it is here in N.J.),all had 5 speed spicers behind them, most of these engines left with over 200000 miles on them,must of them had the original inj. pump but had to change the inj. nozzles to pass state emissions,they do smoke black on snap tests but will pass emissions test with a little work.HP was around 190 hp.The last ones we had were sold at auction here in NJ,driven to california, and from there driven to mexico.

Last edited:
I know a guy who had one in an older Mainship and it was a decent engine. He had the boat for close to 20 years and never had any issues with it.

Assuming these engines are solid in their base form, for trucks and land use, the issue becomes who marinized them and if those parts are available. This is not an engine normally seen in boats, at least to my knowledge.

I would check into parts availability as said above. That can be a real issue with brands that were not too popular since the marinazation parts go out of production and then you may be stuck, or have to have parts custom manufactured, read very expensive.

Assuming these engines are solid in their base form, for trucks and land use, the issue becomes who marinized them and if those parts are available. This is not an engine normally seen in boats, at least to my knowledge.

A bit like my engine. Based on my research I may be the last one to have one but it is rock solid, running like a clock and being based on utility engine (truck, generator, dwell etc) parts are still available more than 50 years later.
Only difference on the engine block itself between land and marine version is the exhaust manifold.

L

I know of a Willard 36 that had an International diesel. Engine was fine, but definitely affected resale for same reasons the OP kicked off this thread. Guessing due diligence professionals (surveyor and mechanic) likely noted the unusual engine.

That said, Willard 36 was built in the 1960s. Engine obviously lasted.

Peter

They might be Crusader/International engines.

Last edited:
As per Ken and ComoDaves comments above, I’d keep shopping.
Cummins sells more diesel motors than anybody, and parts and service are available worldwide.

Personally I would rather not have an orphan engine. There is a lot of support for my Cummins engine ps and it sure makes it nice when you have a problem.

Who marinized these? I've been in this business for 36 years and thought I'd seen every marine diesel out there.

Mercury marinized the International 7.3 for a short time, but I've never seen a 9L.

Who marinized these? I've been in this business for 36 years and thought I'd seen every marine diesel out there.

Mercury marinized the International 7.3 for a short time, but I've never seen a 9L.

All of the references I can find to the 9 liter as a marine engine are that Crusader marinized them and they should be rated as 225hp at 3200 RPM. I've only ever seen mentions of them being used in Carvers, not sure if anyone else used them.

Back
Top Bottom