Recent rescue off Plymouth MA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Hippocampus
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42
On the local news, on the phone with neighbors and in the various town chat rooms there’s been discussions about the rescue of three people off our shore.
The boat was an old ketch. From the pictures shown a full keel with attached rudder so a design not in production for around 30-40 years.
They were going MA to FL on the outside with 3 aboard. Two in their 60s and one in his 70s.
I’ve fished the area where they got into trouble. It’s very rocky and shoal. So extremely poor holding. Even in a center console you don’t attempt to anchor. Rather just leave the engine on to hold position.
From what I can gather from word of mouth and local sources they had an engine failure on a lee shore so drifted in. Went aground and the tide went out. Rescuers could literally walk out to the boat then put two in Gumbies (one crewman had a mustang exposure suit) and assist them in to the beach.
They couldn’t self rescue as their dinghy was frozen to the foredeck. I don’t get any clear reports if they called for a tow before entering the extreme shallows. I don’t get any clear reports if they started outside Mary Ann rock and it’s ATON. Typically when sailing from north to the cape cod canal everyone stays outside that marker. With local knowledge will scoot inside the marker to fish but you don’t save anything just running the coast on a transit.
Plymouth is a harbor of rescue. There’s always SAR boats in the water. At the Sandwich mouth of the canal there’s another harbor of rescue which is even slightly closer to this spot. The local fire department was involved in this case not the CG or either harbor master as the primary agency from what I’ve heard which is slightly unusual.
It’s always problematic to form judgments but one wonders. Why were they running that close in an area you likely can’t anchor without dragging?
Why didn’t they call for a tow early on?
Why didn’t have a raft that could be deployed and be functional in the cold weather of that day? Being dependent upon a dinghy frozen to the foredeck seems unwise.
The fire chief involved has his house right on that beach and was alert and processed the situation correctly. Our town has 365 ponds so the fire department is well supplied and trained in cold water rescues. They did a great timely rescue. His awareness was a matter of chance. This could have gone badly if the boat broke up or weather deteriorated. But it raises the question why are these elderly people taking an old ketch not set up for blue water on the outside in frigid conditions?
Your thoughts.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Massachusetts in December? My guess would be they just bought the boat and realized they needed to winterize in a yard somewhere or go somewhere warm for the winter. I’m going to use the magical word “just “. Just sail it to Florida. Easy peesy. Everyone does it.

The "whys" of these actions started a long time ago for these folks. So many mistakes had been made by that time, such that even if they got through the canal, they would have been really screwed elsewhere this time of year. Just lucky it was not 100 miles offshore as would have been different, and inevitably tragic, results.

Greetings,
MY opinion only. One can hope that people in their 60's+ have outgrown their youthful bravado. That pretty well leaves only inexperience and/or ignorance and lack of respect for the sea.

No answer as to the “why’s”..crew was saved what happened to the ketch?

No answer as to the “why’s”..crew was saved what happened to the ketch?

Google "rescue plymouth, mass" I found 3 TV clips right away.

It's up on the rocky beach... salvage ops in preparation...hopefully not holed.

Last edited:
Glad they are all OK. I don’t know what conditions were like today, but I disagree that it’s a no-go zone this time of year. More challenging, and requiring more careful planning? Yes. But doable. If an engine fails it can mean big problems any time of year.

I don't think 60s is old...and I have really just started to make really bad decisions....

I don't think 60s is old...and I have really just started to make really bad decisions....

and many more to come......I too am just into my 60's. Looking forward to lots of bad decisions! :lol:

Know multiple people who have gone RTW in their 60s to 70s. One couple stated in their late 70s and just turned 81 on returning after doing the North Atlantic gyre. Age is no excuse.
For passage always tried to have buff 20 to 30 y,o. Good for sending up the mast, being railmeat or turning that stuck thing in an awkward spot. Did that since my 40s. Young and pain resistant.

Last edited:
Age is no excuse not to long distance cruise but health is and so are fears that tend build with age in many. Goes with why some even give up living aboard at the dock.

I had parents and friends that into their 70s gave up snowbirding and became non-travelers in general due to insecurities.

What occurred that was atributted to the age of the participants and which could not have occurred if they were half the age?

Not sure the posts or newscasts are in depth enough to say one way or another.

I don't think age had anything to do with it.

Lack of maintenance? Lack of spare parts? Lack of ability and skills?

Age does play a part in being able to crawl into the engine room and fix on the fly when the boat is floating free and rocking and rolling. On a trip of that length with only one engine I would hope the owner had the engine serviced before departing. Or recently before.

Also lack of money? Deferred maintenance? If we spend less dough on the boat we'll have more dough for margaritas in Miami...

What occurred that was atributted to the age of the participants and which could not have occurred if they were half the age?

I think the ages helps paint a mental picture for the reader. If this was 30 years ago, the OP (and the news) would have described these guys as Portugese, or Vietnamese, or Italian-American, but we don't do that anymore. (BTW, this crew looked like wasps). 70 is the new 22.

The engine quitting goes right along with just buying the boat. A plausible scenario is a bunch of crap and growth in the fuel tanks and off we go into a rolling seaway without polishing or changing the filter before starting.
Age has little to do with it. On Google maps it looks easy. I am amazed at how different an area looks from the boat vs Google maps satellite view

Greetings,
I stand by my post (#5) and add: No plan "B" or even "C". Plan "A" wasn't such a good choice either.

Glad they are all OK. I don’t know what conditions were like today, but I disagree that it’s a no-go zone this time of year. More challenging, and requiring more careful planning? Yes. But doable. If an engine fails it can mean big problems any time of year.

Engine failures should not be a problem in sail boats.

They were headed for Cape Cod Canal and you must motor through. They left Boston on Tue, guessing they overnighted in Plymouth Harbor that evening, and ran aground Wed at 7:30AM. They were extremely close to coast for a CCC entry. If the were headed for CCC Approach Buoy they should have been 2 miles off Center Hill Point. (I presume they rounded Buoy 12) Even if they headed direct to the entrance buoy, they still should have been well off the coast.

They were either motor sailing (for extra engine heat) or turned motor on as they were nearing canal. If engine dies, then continue sailing. Why would anyone drop sails and attempt to anchor? A complete mystery to me.

I have anchored in the sand off Sandwich waiting for a favorable current through the canal. Never had a problem. The grounding seems like a progression of errors. Dropping the sails and not paying attention to the charts when picking a good place to anchor.

If engine dies, then continue sailing. Why would anyone drop sails and attempt to anchor? A complete mystery to me.

1) As you mentioned, you can't sail the CCC

2) The alternative sail is a LONG way around and the wind many, or may not have been with them.

3) Because you can't anchor with the sails up efficiently

4) Because you can't sail around while you're trying to diagnose your engine problems.

If I were in that situation, that is exactly what I would have done. In fact, that seems like the most logical approach.

1) Attempt to anchor

2) Troubleshoot engine.

3) Based on assessment, decide to: troubleshoot; sail; motor, or call for an assistance tow.

I am not familiar with either the whole story or the exact location of the incident...

But the flat statements reprinted below I don't agree with (at least in a lot of situations) as I have done both many times.

3) Because you can't anchor with the sails up efficiently

4) Because you can't sail around while you're trying to diagnose your engine problems.

So I have to agree with the theory to sail to a better spot to anchor if you have the sea room....but of course that would require a bit more info than I have garnered so far to say one way or the other. The weakest link could be how good or bad was their anchor and anchoring technique?

Any other updated info with links to make more informed speculation? :D

Last edited:
Locals know for this transit.
You don’t go inside Mary Ann rock going Plymouth to the Canal.
Difficult if not impossible to reliably anchor on that stretch of beach.
With engine failure tack away from shore and either hove to or go somewhere else to anchor and then address the issue. Or call for help and possibly tow. Both Sandwich and Plymouth are harbors of rescue and have services available the year round.
Personally have changed racors hoved to or fore reaching multiple times. Often it’s less bumpy doing it that way then at anchor so easier. Most boats have the choice of one of two filters so with bad fuel you can switch, leave the engine on, and change the other.
As PS implies we don’t know the reason for the engine failure and if it was just a clogged filter. We do know they ended up on the beach and required a cold water rescue from the Plymouth fire department.

Back
Top Bottom