Intro - Mainship 430

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterg

Hi All -
Long time lurker on this site, just purchased a 2003 Mainship 430 double cabin. This is our first 'big' boat, looking forward to lots of assistance from other members! Boat is located in Maryland, we live in Syracuse NY, hoping to get the boat home this fall. Pics below.
Peter

Attachments

• at dock.jpg
    at dock.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 54
  • on hard.jpeg
    on hard.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 49
I've owned a 2001 430 for 19 years and would be happy to try and answer any questions you have.

Jim in Punta Gorda, FL

We are getting the same boat ready for serious cruising for the last 3 years. Replaced a lot of the original equipment and added new. Finally, cruised North Chesapeake Bay for a few weeks this summer.

Some things I love about it and some make me wonder if people who designed it ever being on the boat at all.

One of the first things I did was adding large drain slots on both sides beside the doors. The original designer had a bright idea to add 2 bathtubs on both sides with two 1" drains. The first time we stayed on the boat overnight a very heavy rain overloaded the drains (which I cleaned with a wire a day before) and water ran inside the saloon thru the doors. It does not take a lot of rain to overload 2 small drain holes and the doors are far from waterproof.

I added two huge 5" oval drains next week. You can see them on the photo on the hill outside the starboard door.

1000032715.jpg

We've owned our 2003 430 for 10 years now and love it. Also happy to answer any questions.

Hi Peter,
I've owned my 1999 Mainship 43 for 6 years. It's a great boat, very comfortable. I'd be glad to answer any questions you have. I also have found the Mainship trawler owners Facebook page to be a great resource when trying figure out a problem.
Dave

We are getting the same boat ready for serious cruising for the last 3 years. Replaced a lot of the original equipment and added new. Finally, cruised North Chesapeake Bay for a few weeks this summer.

Some things I love about it and some make me wonder if people who designed it ever being on the boat at all.

One of the first things I did was adding large drain slots on both sides beside the doors. The original designer had a bright idea to add 2 bathtubs on both sides with two 1" drains. The first time we stayed on the boat overnight a very heavy rain overloaded the drains (which I cleaned with a wire a day before) and water ran inside the saloon thru the doors. It does not take a lot of rain to overload 2 small drain holes and the doors are far from waterproof.

I added two huge 5" oval drains next week. You can see them on the photo on the hill outside the starboard door.

View attachment 157479
I love the idea of the larger drain. Where did you get the 5" oval drains?

We have owned our 2002 Mainship 430 Odyssey for just over ten years, first cruising trawler for us sailors. I grew up sailing in the Chesapeake, raced and cruised on the West Coast, Hawaii and offshore and cruised the Caribbean, to Venezuela and back with family. It is in my view everything you could want in a fast trawler.

We are aging out and will probably be ready to sell her in the next year, but all positives and congratulations. She is a well built winner and worth taking good care up. She will serve you well.

Back
Top Bottom