John Deere 6404 Ammarine 404 air intakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doktorglory

Vessel Name
Providence
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42 Classic 1974
Those of you running these engines (ie without turbo) are likely aware of how nightmarish it is to replace the water pump/alternator belts on these motors. Having had a GB42 with Lehmans and no fan to bring additional air into the engine room I question the need for this on the John Deeres. For some reason the blades on my port engine sheared off and were left sitting in the van guard for an unknown amount of time. I have no idea how this occured . That sadi the engine and engine room seem to run the same. That is no excsevive heaat of alteration in performance have I noticed. I am having difficulty trying to find the water pump pulley with the blades on it but frankly i want to just remove it from the other engine and have unfettered access to my belts as needed. I am going to monitor my engine room temperature for awhile to see if there is any noticeable difference. Of course I have an engine room ventilation fan in addition whihc makes me wonder why Grand Banks put fans on the JDs and not the Lehmans.

Have any of you with JDs given any thought to this? Have you run them without the fans?

Other than suggesting that you get a remote thermometer in the engine room, 2 of them near the each engine., I have no suggestions.
I have a single and I did that many years ago. I monitor the E.R. temp.

Got it from Radio Shack so a wee bit of looking will likely show something suitable.

I have those same engines. I've suspected the water pump mounted fans are very inefficient. When I get a chance I will remove the hose from the ER ceiling and check the flow. I'm not sure they bring in any more air than the engine intake ingests. I run a ER exhaust blower after shutdown, but no other blowers while underway.

Diesels are pretty good air pumps as they consume a lot of air. As long as you have good air intake vents to the engine room you should move quite a bit of air.

Just a FU for anyone interetsed. I didi monitor my engine room temps on the last cruise. The temp averaged about 83-84 F at full cruise ~1750rpms two engines. Im going to lose the other intake air pump to improve engine room ergonomics. Outside temps were in the low 70s. Now i wouldlke to find a set of water pump pulleys.

My temp at top of ER at 1300 rpm cruise is around 105F on a warm day (70s). I have no forced ventilation ( engine fans removed).

Those of you running these engines (ie without turbo) are likely aware of how nightmarish it is to replace the water pump/alternator belts on these motors. Having had a GB42 with Lehmans and no fan to bring additional air into the engine room I question the need for this on the John Deeres. For some reason the blades on my port engine sheared off and were left sitting in the van guard for an unknown amount of time. I have no idea how this occured . That sadi the engine and engine room seem to run the same. That is no excsevive heaat of alteration in performance have I noticed. I am having difficulty trying to find the water pump pulley with the blades on it but frankly i want to just remove it from the other engine and have unfettered access to my belts as needed. I am going to monitor my engine room temperature for awhile to see if there is any noticeable difference. Of course I have an engine room ventilation fan in addition whihc makes me wonder why Grand Banks put fans on the JDs and not the Lehmans.

Have any of you with JDs given any thought to this? Have you run them without the fans?
Funny, I just posted a question on my 1976 twin JD 6404's related to the raw water pump. I have twin JD 6404's and was in the engine room yesterday for maintenance. I'm 99% certain that neither of the water pump pulleys have fan blades. I have an engine room blower, but generally don't use it underway. I have had no issues with adequate air intake and ventilation through the engine room louvers although it certainly does get warm in the engine room with both engines running at 180 degrees. I'm also in the Northwest where the outside air tends to be fairly cool.

Back
Top Bottom