Kadey Krogen 39

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Together

Hi to All,

Contemplating upgrading the electronics in my KK39 for coastal cruising and in the near future going to the Bahamas. Below is a list of the current electronics, any recommendations to upgrade or add at this time would be appreciated?

Garmin GPSMap XSM chartplotter (2018)
Garmin Fish-finder 240Blue depth-sounder
Simrad AP28 autopilot
Standard Horizon VHF (2)
Matrix GX 2150 AIS

Flybridge

Chartplotter:Lowrance (portable)
Standard Horizon VHF (1)

Your flybridge is lean on electronics - you'll have to decide if you'll be spending time up there underway. At a minimum, you need a depth sounder up there. I personally like flybridges in tropical climates and would lean towards a full N2K MFD with radar. Keep the VHF's, AIS, and A/P. Even though the Garmin XSM isn't that old, I would consider replacing it with whatever brand I chose for the upper station (I like my Simrad, but Raymarine and Furuno have their fans too - Garmin seems to be an outlier).

A lot depends on budget. MFDs are pretty expensive - a 12-inch will set you back close to $4k I reckon.

Peter

First you need to decide what a new suite will bring to the table that the current installations don't provide.

I agree with Peter that you DEFINITELY need a depth sounder on the fly bridge, especially in the Bahamas.

If you plan on operating the boat from the fly bridge, I would also recommend a decent permanent (large) chartplotter display on the fly bridge, as well as an autopilot control head.
An AIS would also be handy on the fly bridge if you plan on navigating from up there at night, or in times of inclement WX.

Otherwise, except for radar, which you made no mention of, I would think that you are set for a minimum set of electronics.

For capability, I would recommend adding an AIS transceiver (transmit and receive) and RADAR, as well as autopilot control from the flybridge.

Lots of ways to get there…it may make sense to add a Garmin MFD to the flybridge, then add a Garmin RADAR that will display at both MFDs. Essentially most AIS transceivers will network in with the MFDs. Finally, another autopilot control is easy to add.

As mentioned the Garmin is not that old. I would be ascertaining if the Garmin was still supported by Garmin before adding to that system. Does it do what you want, are charts available, are they updating their software, etc.

You could go all new, with the brands and specifics you like.

We are finishing an electronics refit aboard IRENE, and I would be happy to get deep in the weeds if you wish.

As the owner of a KK42, I want to chime in that the ONLY time I am on the flybridge is to back the boat into a slip. the pilothouse is just too good even in the tropics.
With that being said, I agree that you need a depth sounder up there and a vhf radio or at least a handheld for marina coms, but what you have there is sufficient.

I can not imagine running a boat from inside in the Bahamas. The water is clear, and coral heads and marine life are easy to see from the flying bridge. Visibility is easily 200'+, but you must learn what your looking for.

If your fishing it is a no brainer.

Once we get to Florida we do everything from the bridge. I have a full compliment of electronics up there.

When you are in the Bahamas and told to take a left at the stick with the Pepsi can on it, then head to the yellow house, (CHUBB), being inside makes no sense.

Polaroid glasses are more important than radar.

I have had my boat for about 7 years. I think I have driven it from below maybe twice.

pete

I have had my boat for about 7 years. I think I have driven it from below maybe twice.

pete

I always drive from the pilothouse. Same with the KK42 above, but we have in common that our pilot houses are raised, so maybe that makes a difference. And we aren’t in Bahama shallow clear water.

On a KK the flybridge is behind the pilothouse. Much better angle from inside PH, plus step right out onto bow of need be. We only use bridge for entertaining.

We looked at a KK39, I really liked the look and interior layout.

We ended up with a GB36 Europa cause of the bridge. It is huge. The KK seated three to five, the GB five to nine.

Now I love the KK pilot house. If you run in bad weather a nice setup. But my idea of bad weather is under 70 degrees and long sleeves.

On a KK the flybridge is behind the pilothouse. Much better angle from inside PH, plus step right out onto bow of need be. We only use bridge for entertaining.

Good point. Every boat is different, and skippers will have their preferences. I didn’t think I’d like piloting from a raised pilothouse exclusively either till I tried it. Even backing in. I don’t have a flying bridge, but if I did it would be set up like the kk at the back of the pilothouse roof. Forward visibility is compromised.

Honestly. What do you NEED. If you don’t know, then doing nothing is the proper course.

Definitely a depth sounder repeater. For nav in the Bahamas, a plugged in tablet with integral gps running Aquamaps with their Explorer charts is a good addition that can be moved from FB to PH. You will need a Bimini in order to use a tablet on the FB. Fwiw, I have a RPH and only run from the PH if cold, windy or otherwise inclement weather.

Together…where are you located? Love my KK 39 in Groton Ct
Al

We cruise mostly at trawler speeds; from the Great Lakes to the Panhandle and through the Bahamas I have run the boat from a flybridge once in 20 years. Prefer climate control. I can go out and bake anytime I choose with the option to have additional melanomas removed.

I don’t spend as much on bridge electronics.

Many chart plotter / radar, depth finder packages available with new year bargains. Recommend you buy a package so things play well together.

The thing I'd start with is deciding on what to keep! For example:

I really like two VHF radios. Having ONLY multi-watch on a single radio does not cut it for me. One is always on 16, the other is on 9 or 13, or whatever depending on circumstances. I never have to worry about missing something by using multi-watch feature.

I really like two redundant systems for DEPTH. If one is going wacko, the other usually isn't.

So, when you are planning out a new / upgrade, first decide on what to keep!

Our 2000 Mainship still has its original [vanilla] VHF radio (with remote on the fly bridge), and its original Depth Sounder not integrated with anything else. I'm glad the second owner of this boat kept those in place when he added / upgraded much of the electronics we have today (including a 12" Axiom MFD and dual transducers for depth).

I stayed with his Raymarine investment direction, and added radar, and and the soup-to-nuts Raymarine 73 VHF-GPS-AIS receive-hailing/foghorn radio. It was great to see AIS targets now showing up on the 12" display. I also added Raymarine's Autopilot and Raymarine's Quantum 2 radar.

We took off on our Loop with AIS receive only... and it was great for starters.

I *thought* I might want a second MFD display, especially when I added radar. But, I figured I'd wait to see if it was really needed. "Can the split screens of a 12" display suffice?" I've since answered "Yes" to that one! So, saving money staying with one display. (The iPad Pro can display the Axiom IF I ever operate from the lower helm = never).

Once we hit the twists and turns of the western rivers south of Chicago, I decided I wanted to add AIS transmit. I went with the Em-Trak B924 because I wanted to be able to use the wireless ability to see AIS targets on my iPad on AquaMAP or Navionics from the comfort of our salon when having my morning coffee. It also enables me to not need a 3rd VHF radio antenna. (I'm a ham radio operator, I've already got plenty of antennas aboard!) With AIS transmit, big commercial tows occasionally beat me to the punch calling me by boat-name to coordinate passings on those rivers!

((Having AIS transmit is much more than a "nice to have" on the rivers or anywhere if out in FOG coordinating passings just about everywhere.))

I've been very happy with the Raymarine investment direction that the previous owner began, and I've mostly followed suit. However, when I talk with the manager of the big West Marine store here in Jacksonville, he says that the "...Simrad customer service rep is in here all the time... They have superior customer service and support." I'm pretty sure it was Simrad any way.

The Autopilot system (lots of components) was by far the most expensive single system I've added to my boat. So, my thoughts are that YOUR "investment direction" may be best to focus on the Simrad line, as that is what you already have for Autopilot.
At least do your homework biased in the Simrad direction first.

R

Last edited:
Contemplating upgrading the electronics in my KK39 for coastal cruising and in the near future going to the Bahamas. Below is a list of the current electronics, any recommendations to upgrade or add at this time would be appreciated?

Garmin Fish-finder 240Blue depth-sounder
Simrad AP28 autopilot
Standard Horizon VHF (2)
Matrix GX 2150 AIS

Flybridge

Chartplotter:Lowrance (portable)
Standard Horizon VHF (1)

For capability, I would recommend adding an AIS transceiver (transmit and receive) and RADAR, as well as autopilot control from the flybridge.

Lots of ways to get there…it may make sense to add a Garmin MFD to the flybridge, then add a Garmin RADAR that will display at both MFDs. Essentially most AIS transceivers will network in with the MFDs. Finally, another autopilot control is easy to add.

Your current stuff sounds OK.

The Garmin XSM could be current, one, or two generations old... I think. Ours is a 7612xsm possibly installed circa 2015. Since then, Garmin has replaced that series with an 86..xsm, and then I think a 12..xsm or 16..xsm or something like that.

We can still get Garmin chart updates, so I guess that'd be true on the newer ones, too. The newer models may also offer an advantage (?) of using some newer Navionics charts since Garmin acquired them. (Ours won't.) Garmin charges for annual chart updates though -- unlike Furuno for annual NOAA chart updates.

I'd tend to agree with Irene, though. Add radar and add AIS. Work out how to display radar at both helms -- which suggests another Garmin MFD.

I'd also add AP control on the flybridge.

And I'd add another depth sounder, partly for redundancy, partly to see a different opinion about current depths. 50/200 Hz and 235 Hz sound sounders seem to co-exist easily enough.

There's a thing about charts. I've read a) Navionics charts for the Bahamas aren't great, and b) Explorer charts for the Bahamas are the bee's knees. Garmin won't do Explorer charts, as far as I know. I think Explorer charts are included in some C-Map packages. That could influence your choice of second MFD, although I think radar at both stations is maybe more important... especially because you could probably solve the Explorer charts with a separate tablet solution... which would also add another layer of redundancy anyway.

-Chris

Updating electronics

Where do you drive from? We do ALL of our driving from the bridge.

Therefore, the updated electronics should be where you drive from.

Presumably you have a NMEA backbone but you don't say which 1. 2000 would be the best choice.

You also don't mention your cruising style. We keep our days to a max of about 4-5hrs.

I also don't see any mention of Radar and I'm not sure what the XSM chartplotter is. My search revealed only XSV chartplotters. This is a designation that the chartplotter will connect to a sonar piece of equipment.

There are a number of chartplotters that meet that need but what is the model. We have an 8616xsv. 86 is the model and 16 is the size.

So, we are a Garmin boat. ALL of our electronics are Garmin which I prefer over mixing & matching of other manufacturers. I see the NAV products as safety products, and I like to be as safe as possible out there.

Therefore, I'd be glad to discuss my input with you via PM. There are more questions from me and I'm sure you might have some while we discuss your needs.

One of the great things about our setup is that the autopilot does almost all of our driving. Makes for a less tiring day.

I really like two VHF radios. Having ONLY multi-watch on a single radio does not cut it for me. One is always on 16, the other is on 9 or 13, or whatever depending on circumstances. I never have to worry about missing something by using multi-watch feature.

I've found having two radios set this way very helpful, especially when they are mounted on different sides of the helm. I then know, based on which side I'm hearing the traffic on, if the traffic is on 16 or 13 without having to look at the VHF screen.

The Garmin XSM could be current, one, or two generations old... I think. Ours is a 7612xsm possibly installed circa 2015. Since then, Garmin has replaced that series with an 86..xsm, and then I think a 12..xsm or 16..xsm or something like that.

Correction: 7612xsv, 86..xsv, 12..xsv or 16..xsv...

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom