Kha-Shing - feedback and transport

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WindMaiden

With my wife, we are visiting two trawlers in San Diego this weekend to get an idea of what they are like. Since we are currently in California, this is the easiest option. These are the two trawlers we are considering. I wonder how much it would cost and how feasible it is to ship or have someone move this type of trawler to Washington. Does anyone have experience with this? Idea of the cost? Also, any feedback on this specific trawler type would be appreciated.

Thx you!

I would guess that Cross could pick from the water in San Diego and drop in Victoria BC for around 20k.

One problem with trucking the boat is the height. Likely have to take the flybridge off. That will open a huge can of worms. I would recommend running the boat up. The problem there is going north is referred to as uphill, for a reason. You are heading into the prevailing wind and waves. It certainly can be done just have to allow for time to wait out the weather. I have run downhill on the west coast and it can be challenging but just sit out the weather. Hiring a captain and crew will not be cheap but it will certainly be better in the long run because you will not have to take the flybridge off. A friend had his boat trucked and it took him years to find all the new leaks and electrical problems.

There may have been a difference in build quality originally but at this age the biggest factor will be maintenance and overall current condition. I would be looking for the best condition boat that fits your needs.

I would say Kha Shing and CHB would be similar build quality. Grand Banks quality is likely better and although would be more costly to purchase would also hold it's value if well maintained.

I have nothing against Ka-Shing, it’s just that I have always found other makes to be better laid out for my preference.

The 40-foot Spindrift has Volvo power. While I have no personal experience, there are enough credible people who say "Never Volvo" due to parts' expense that I would cross-off the list. The 45-footer has Perkins 6.354 which would be a more economical engine to own and equally reliable.

As far as getting the boat north, it's 1200 nms (+/-) which is around 150-175 engine hours (6-7 days underway, not including stops for fuel/weather). Will burn around 500-700 gals of diesel. Delivery skipper and crew are around $500/day burn-rate plus expenses - probably 14-days total so around $3500 for fees plus another $1500 for travel and provisions.

Additional 175 engine hours are a rounding error in the life of a diesel (though add-in cost of oil change). But going uphill might be a bit hard on the boat. If the windows are not water tight (and they probably aren't on these boats), expect water intrusion which can really make a mess.

All-in, without any exceptional delays such as mechanical issues, might be able to get it delivered for $10k-$12k. But could be more - a lot more if there is a mechanical failure. When I was delivering out of San Francisco, I did this coast a bunch, almost always uphill. My day rate was my day rate - no discounts for weather delays or mechanical delays. I think that's fair, though many aspiring delivery skippers would discount for non-movement days. I will say I stayed busy enough that if I needed to leave a boat somewhere due to delay, I could jump to another job and stop the meter.

From a breakeven perspective, I would be willing to pay at least $15k-$20k more for a boat already in the PNW than assume the risk of delivery from SoCal. Given the price point of your links, I think you can probably do much better up in the PNW.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Peter

First thing that jumps out for me is 30 year old Volvo Penta vs/ Perkins engines. My personal choice would be to walk past the first one to look at the other. Having a mechanical survey done in addition to the general survey when you get focused on a particular boat is suggested.

Edit sorry lost last paragraph
Have watched DYT offloading. It was impressive. Float on and off. They have a detailed website.

Last edited:
The 40-foot Spindrift has Volvo power. While I have no personal experience, there are enough credible people who say "Never Volvo" due to parts' expense that I would cross-off the list. The 45-footer has Perkins 6.354 which would be a more economical engine to own and equally reliable.

As far as getting the boat north, it's 1200 nms (+/-) which is around 150-175 engine hours (6-7 days underway, not including stops for fuel/weather). Will burn around 500-700 gals of diesel. Delivery skipper and crew are around $500/day burn-rate plus expenses - probably 14-days total so around $3500 for fees plus another $1500 for travel and provisions.

Additional 175 engine hours are a rounding error in the life of a diesel (though add-in cost of oil change). But going uphill might be a bit hard on the boat. If the windows are not water tight (and they probably aren't on these boats), expect water intrusion which can really make a mess.

All-in, without any exceptional delays such as mechanical issues, might be able to get it delivered for $10k-$12k. But could be more - a lot more if there is a mechanical failure. When I was delivering out of San Francisco, I did this coast a bunch, almost always uphill. My day rate was my day rate - no discounts for weather delays or mechanical delays. I think that's fair, though many aspiring delivery skippers would discount for non-movement days. I will say I stayed busy enough that if I needed to leave a boat somewhere due to delay, I could jump to another job and stop the meter.

From a breakeven perspective, I would be willing to pay at least $15k-$20k more for a boat already in the PNW than assume the risk of delivery from SoCal. Given the price point of your links, I think you can probably do much better up in the PNW.

Peter
This is a very well laid out discussion on the reality of moving a boat on its own bottom. At first blush it makes trucking look like a better solution but that would be a false economy. The cost to truck is probably $10,000. This of course does not include disassembly and reassembly of the boat. While reassembly sounds like a fixed dollar amount, there will be damage.

So the unknown in trucking is what will the significant repair cost be during reassembly?

Peter
Thank you. Yes. Next week we are going to WA. That gives me like 20k extra that I can invest in the boat and not the transport.

Personally I would not consider a boat with Volvo power. Been there with a brand new boat and had issues with getting parts, even on new engines. I sold boats part time for the dealer so they would take parts off a new boat to fix mine. When I am boat shopping I look at a boat listing and first check the engine, if it has Volvos I click back and move on to another listing.

I'd be cautious about the boat with Volvos until I understood about parts and service availability.
I'd not own any older boat with teak decks without careful consideration.

With my wife, we are visiting two trawlers in San Diego this weekend to get an idea of what they are like. Since we are currently in California, this is the easiest option. These are the two trawlers we are considering. I wonder how much it would cost and how feasible it is to ship or have someone move this type of trawler to Washington. Does anyone have experience with this? Idea of the cost? Also, any feedback on this specific trawler type would be appreciated.

Thx you!
I'm in the same boat.
I'm in san pedro and just bought a 51 DeFever in san Francisco.
But, I'm just going to hire a captain to go along with me.
Looking to go in a few weeks.
Good luck!

I had an 83 spindrift with Volvos and loved it. The build quality was high as was the fit and finish of the interior. The teak decks were beautiful and they had been maintained but after 40 years I pulled all the screws, glued down the existing teak and filled / sealed the screw holes.

I REALLY like having access on both sides of the boat as I single handed often. Not as important but we also really liked having an up galley. The big aft facing egress ports were also a big plus.

The Volvos were great engines and in the SF area (and apparently in the PNW) there are a ton of those engines around. Parts are available as are good mechanics (I do all my own work though) but not cheap. Other than the Perkins or Lehmans the parts seemed only a bit more than other brands. But if I could choose I would choose the Perkins or Lehman.

I'm in the same boat.
I'm in san pedro and just bought a 51 DeFever in san Francisco.
But, I'm just going to hire a captain to go along with me.
Looking to go in a few weeks.
Good luck!
Running from SF to San Pedro is a great trip. Plenty of harbors to day hop to and sit out any weather. You will also have current and wind to your back. Should be a good time.

I had an 83 spindrift with Volvos and loved it. The build quality was high as was the fit and finish of the interior. The teak decks were beautiful and they had been maintained but after 40 years I pulled all the screws, glued down the existing teak and filled / sealed the screw holes.

I REALLY like having access on both sides of the boat as I single handed often. Not as important but we also really liked having an up galley. The big aft facing egress ports were also a big plus.

The Volvos were great engines and in the SF area (and apparently in the PNW) there are a ton of those engines around. Parts are available as are good mechanics (I do all my own work though) but not cheap. Other than the Perkins or Lehmans the parts seemed only a bit more than other brands. But if I could choose I would choose the Perkins or Lehman.
Mine has detroits
And I've read they are great as well.
I too love it has walk around.
I really wanted a RPH but, the wife wanted the level walk around.
The decks I guess were a real job .
I too do my own work so I will be busy soon redoing the kitchen and salon for her.

Thx you!
We are original owners of a 52’ Kha Shing built boat under the Vista Yacht Co label in the northeast. Spindrift on the west coast and Bell yachts in Texas are all the same hulls with different customizations. As a testament to quality Kha Shing is still in business today and is recognized as a high quality builder. BTW our boat is 40 years old. Quality is equal to a GB. The only difference is/was the marketing. BG recognized around the world but who knows Spindrift, Vista or Bell. Have a good surveyor and not one who knows nothing about Taiwanese builders and you will do fine

Peter
FYI and all respect to Peter - Captain/crew rate on west coast is likely higher (more like $500 for captain, $250 for each crew). I also believe the trip north would take more than 6-7 days underway based upon delivery of my boat from Seattle (Lake Union) to Long Beach that took captain & 2 crew 8 days running 24/7 with 1 overnight stop of about 13 hours, pushing 8-9 knots with varying SOG according to wind/currents. I didn't need to get to San Diego, but that would add another 6-8 hours. I was headed south, with wind/currents (generally) so I would expect going north would take longer as you are fighting wind/currents.

How the captain/crew handle/charge for lay days could be a big risk - some discount their rate, some don't, if longer than a day or two, some will want to travel back home (meaning you get to buy another set of round trip tickets from wherever they are)... I was fortunate that my captain wanted to run around the clock and had no weather or mechanical delays.

That said, Peter is 1000% spot-on in regards to shopping near your home port because it will give you an extra 20-30K to spend on the boat, not delivery.

If you (or anyone else) need a west coast delivery captain, reach out. I was very happy w/ my captain - fair, honest, solid and a good guy to boot without "surprises" or nickleing/diming you to death.

The trip is about 8 days at the speeds delivery captains go. I have done it several times, both as crew and as owner. I can recommend only two if you like.

Having owned a 52' Kha Shing and now a 49' Kha Shing, I can tell you that they are heavily built and I would take them anyday as long as they are maintained well. The frames throughout the boats are solid teak; the teak interiors are beautiful and my teak deck are 1/2" solid teak and don't leak. As for Volvo's, both of my Kha Shings have straight 6 cylinder TMD40A's and they are pretty indestructible. The good thing is there were literally a million of these motors made over the years so as people part them out, they list those parts on eBay pretty reasonably. The key though is they just keep running if you take care of them. I've noticed the cost of parts going up significantly for virtually every brand of diesel. Even American Diesel gets good money for Ford Lehman parts.....

Thx you!
I just sold a 37 1983 kha Shing with twin volvo 165. If the cooling system is properly maintained these engines will give you a long life and just sip the fuel . Most fuel efficient boat I ever owned. Parts can be sourced and lots of aftermarket supply. Would not hesitate to buy another Volvo powered boat. Kha Shing are well built solid boats. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom